Displaced Texan

NJGF property lawyers....get in here please.

39 minutes ago, 10X said:

Buy the lot yourself.  It would give you room to park this:

Custom semi-trailer 76-foot smoker complete with walk-in cooler, beer taps, and diesel generator

More details

Or perhaps consider this one:

Colt SAA smoker

That’s a big crockpot. 

• FacePalm 1

1 hour ago, 10X said:

Buy the lot yourself.  It would give you room to park this:

Custom semi-trailer 76-foot smoker complete with walk-in cooler, beer taps, and diesel generator

More details

Or perhaps consider this one:

Colt SAA smoker

Oh holy mother of BBQ!!! I NEED that!! I’d have to host a NJGF bbq with that!

I wonder if the Colt SAA smoker is NJ Legal....

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 10:55 PM, Displaced Texan said:

That’s the plan, GB. I’ll take this as high as need be. Like a good sailor, I’m going to take it up the chain of command until this shit gets sorted. I’m happy to shake things up. 

I WILL be at town council meetings, asking LOTS of uncomfortable questions.

We have a Dem mayor, and 3/6 of our town council is dem. To be fair, when it was a republican administration, they didn’t do much either. 

and I think they're looking at putting townhouses at the corner of longwood and warwick?

58 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

and I think they're looking at putting townhouses at the corner of longwood and warwick?

Townhomes with retail on the bottom floor. People around here aren’t too thrilled about the idea. 

On 8/9/2019 at 3:57 PM, SJG said:

Forget adverse possession in this matter.

It is somewhat difficult to advise without a title search. You may find that there is an unsatisfied recorded mortgage on the property and the owner is in default but the bank has not bothered to foreclose and has defaulted on its right to pay the property taxes. A check of the tax rolls would not reveal info regarding the mortgagee, only a title search would.

The town is probably owned lots of $ for taxes and has a first lien.  Maybe the record owner would be willing to deed it to the town and be rid of it??? Then the town would probably demolish it.

The town probably retains the right to demolish it if it is a health and/or safety risk anyway and/or if it qualifies as a public nuisance,.

If all else fails(meaning the town does not do anything to demolish the structure): The town can sell the tax lien at an auction --tax lien certificate-- and the purchaser can foreclose on it  if the owner does not pay the purchaser the amount of the lien plus interest and  do whatever they want with the property.  You would need to determine the amount of  unpaid taxes and if you and your neighbors are interested in purchasing and then foreclosing the lien and then jointly agreeing to demolish the structure at your costs. While this is a possibility there are probably other remedies.

This is outside my practice area so this is general info only. There are probably other remedies available

As a sitting Planning Board member in my town I can tell you none of any of these actions are simple or quick.  Believe it or not these actions can sometimes take years.  Take pictures, videos and gather what you can and get the Media involved.  If a child enters this structure and gets hurt once you open these cans of worms they'll have to get out their check books.  And they won't like that.  And remember, if it saves one child....!

On 8/9/2019 at 12:14 PM, Handyman said:

Might be some good stuff in there. These are the crazy old coots that have suitcases full of cash in the attic.

Says an Old Guy with suit cases of money in his attic. 

13 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Townhomes with retail on the bottom floor. People around here aren’t too thrilled about the idea. 

SO i've heard. i thought that there were plans to do the same type of thing over where bradlees used to be? across from the root beer place.......

22 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

SO i've heard. i thought that there were plans to do the same type of thing over where bradlees used to be? across from the root beer place.......

It's one of the ways towns are meeting their Affordable Housing  (COAH) requirements. 

3 hours ago, BobA said:

As a sitting Planning Board member in my town I can tell you none of any of these actions are simple or quick.  Believe it or not these actions can sometimes take years.  Take pictures, videos and gather what you can and get the Media involved.  If a child enters this structure and gets hurt once you open these cans of worms they'll have to get out their check books.  And they won't like that.  

There has been some traction on this today. The Camden County Health inspector was there earlier today. He called me to ask a few question about the property. Asked if anyone was living there, because it still has electricity. He was absolutely dumbfounded that the place had been abandoned for 10+ years, and still has electricity. Said it was a tinderbox. 

He told me he was going to the borough to speak with them about it. I’m working today, but Mrs Tex is home, she said that shortly after, Stratford Public works paid the place a visit. 

Seems as my work is beginning to get some attention. We shall see how far it goes. 

I emailed the mayor on Sunday, but have not heard a response yet. I’ll redact some personal information, and post the letter later this evening. It was worded ‘strongly’, and left no doubt the natives in the neighborhood are restless about it. I told him I will only correspond via email, as I’ll be sharing his responses with the neighborhood. Hehehehehe!

Its a great suggestion to take this to the news media...and I will at some point, if action stalls. Stratford is trying to attract new businesses to the town, and I’m pretty sure the township won’t like the negative attention. For the moment, the pot is stirred. Let’s see how much soup we get out of it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

I have heard that the old Bradlees shopping center is getting a Royal Farms. They tore down the old Chinese place that was abandoned for years, but haven’t progressed on any construction yet. I hear they are trying to put some retail shops there, including another Dollar Store. 

Great....just what we need...another crappy Dollar Store. Nothing says desirable, like a crappy Dollar Store!

Here’s my email to the mayor of Stratford:

Hi Mayor Keenan,

My name is Displaced Texan, and I live at XXXXXX in Stratford. My wife and I have been homeowners,  taxpayers, and voters in this community for 15 years. In the time we have resided here in Stratford, we have watched an abandoned home across the street from us (XXXXXX) steadily deteriorate. It has been abandoned and neglected for 10+ years now.

This abandoned property is not only an eyesore to all the residents of Stratford, but it presents an imminent health, safety, and fire hazard to the residents of our community. My neighbors and I have observed vermin (mice and rats) in the yard, and I have personally witnessed a raccoon enter the house through a broken window on more than one occasion. There are homeowners with small children in close proximity to this house, and the vermin present on this property pose a VERY real danger, and health risk to them and all members of our community. 

There is significant overgrowth of bushes and weeds which, until recently, (courtesy of another concerned neighbor) has completely obscured the front of the home. There are 2 abandoned cars on this property adding to the list of code infractions. 
The roof of this house is in abysmal shape and squatters have cut out the copper pipes of the home. We are extremely concerned about the safety and security of our neighborhood, and the negative effect that this sorely neglected property has on our community. 

Numerous complaints over the years to the township (both under your administration, and previous administrations), have been unanswered...and most likely, not even documented. We have heard all the excuses, we all know the family history, we know the property is changing hands, and it is well past time for action. This property has long been a nuisance to the neighborhood, and it MUST be adressed ASAP. 

Sir, myself, and my neighbors are formally requesting via this email, that you, and the town council take immediate, aggressive action to remedy this unacceptable situation. It’s time to actually REPRESENT your constituents, and be a part of the solution, instead of being part of the problem. 

Should you and the town council fail to take action, I am prepared to take this issue to every relevant county and/or state agency the situation warrants, to bring attention to this property, until a satisfactory resolution has been achieved.  

Feel free to contact me via email with your plan of action. I’ll be sharing all correspondence (or lack thereof) with my neighbors, so that we are all keenly aware of the township’s intentions to rectify this imminently hazardous situation. We all, await your response. 

Respectfully. 

Displaced Texan and concerned residents of Stratford
Email: 

I took a walk on the property a few moments ago, and see that the township boarded up the broken basement window. Mrs Tex things that they will clean up the back yard, and probably leave it as is. 

Still haven’t heard back from the mayor. 

ETA: I have also heard via a member of the Stratford FB page that Royal Farms may have pulled out, and that a Tim Hortons has also backed out. Have not confirmed either one yet, but I will. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BobA said:

Soon it might be Mayor Tex. 

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

Ha!!! 

That job doesn’t pay enough to deal with assholes like me!!

Could it be... President Tex? :o It's still the land of opportunity, ya know!

You've got this woman's vote all wrapped up. And... excellent letter. :good:

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Sota said:

Is there a texas version of the molotov cocktail? 

I would never even joke about things like that. 

2 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Awww, aren’t you sweet, Peel! 

I have not yet begun to fight. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

That’s Forum Moderator Candidate Tex to you, Ma’am. 

• Haha 1

This morning I called CC Fire Inspector. I had a nice discussion with him. He told me, because the property is a single family home, that they do not have much stroke in the matter. He referred me to the NJ Div. of Fire Safety. I spoke to the Fire inspector, and he not only made sure the complaint was logged into the system, but he called the inspector for the area (who covers Camden and Burlington county). Said someone should be out there in a day or so. He was also concerned that a property abandoned for 10+ years and falling apart has not been addressed by Stratford Fire. 

Told me after he gets a report from his inspector, he would be talking to both the township office, and Stratford Fire. 

I very well may piss off a LOT of people at the township! Just what I need to get people moving. 

Still, ZERO contact from the mayor. 

• Like 2