jm1827

Software for making highlight videos

Does anyone have any recommendations for what software I can use to make highlight film?  I have been trying to use Hudl, but the browser based tools are difficult at best.

Primary sport will be Lacrosse,  and I use a PC.

Thanks

Look into Sony Vegas Movie Studio, costs about $50.  I used to edit with vegas pro about 15 years ago, the pro version can be somewhat complicated with all the advanced filters, transitions and FX features.  The Movie Studio version is a light version, probably equivalent to what I used back then. 

The nice thing about Vegas is that you can be editing video in just a few hours.  The basic dragging dropping preview  selecting and adding to the timeline is fairly simple.  Basic transitions are easy too.  As time goes on, and you experiment with things, your videos will just get better and have a higher production value.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Look into Sony Vegas Movie Studio, costs about $50.  I used to edit with vegas pro about 15 years ago, the pro version can be somewhat complicated with all the advanced filters, transitions and FX features.  The Movie Studio version is a light version, probably equivalent to what I used back then. 

The nice thing about Vegas is that you can be editing video in just a few hours.  The basic dragging dropping preview  selecting and adding to the timeline is fairly simple.  Basic transitions are easy too.  As time goes on, and you experiment with things, your videos will just get better and have a higher production value.

Thanks- I will take a look at it!

4 hours ago, jm1827 said:

Does anyone have any recommendations for what software I can use to make highlight film?

Primary sport will be Lacrosse,  and I use a PC.

I did something similar years ago for my daughter. She was a soccer player. I took a bunch of videos of her playing, then used Movie Maker to edit and make a highlight video. She sent the video out to a bunch of college soccer coaches, and it ended up earning her a soccer scholarship.

• Like 1

Microsoft Movie Maker is free and easy to use.

If you want to spend a little to get good stuff with lots of additional resources, Sony Vegas (cheap one) .

Then the next level up is going to be the primary software being used... Sony Vegas Pro and Adobe Premier.

You can get Premier as part of Adobe's monthly studio suite.

Good thing is, things like LUTS, etc can be used with both...

When I started with video a while back, used Windows Movie Maker... then bit the bullet and switched to Sony Vegas.

Thanks everyone, I will take a look at both Movie Maker and Vegas Movie Studio.   I am pretty sure I have used Movie Maker in the past, but if Vegas Movie Studio is better it may be worth the $50 or so.

3 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

if Vegas Movie Studio is better it may be worth the $50 or so

Vegas is very powerful, if the Studio version has even 1/10th the features of what I used to use, it's money well spent.  Once you learn how to use keyframes in the timeline, and manipulate envelopes, you will be amazed at what you can do. 

For the $10 more, I'd get the Platinum version because it includes DVD Architect for authoring DVD and BluRay discs.   If you want to try before you buy, you can download a fully functional 30 day trial version from the Vegas website. 

I kinda miss my video editing system, it was a beast (back in the day). Having the right video card and quad processors will make things go faster.  Vegas is very hardware intensive.  My system had dual video cards and  LCD monitors, a TV  hooked up for preview, 2 hardware SCSI 160 RAIDs, a serial ATA RAID and dual Xeon processors.  The more SFX you use, the more you will benefit from a robust PC because Vegas renders your project in real time.

29 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Vegas is very powerful, if the Studio version has even 1/10th the features of what I used to use, it's money well spent.  Once you learn how to use keyframes in the timeline, and manipulate envelopes, you will be amazed at what you can do. 

For the $10 more, I'd get the Platinum version because it includes DVD Architect for authoring DVD and BluRay discs.   If you want to try before you buy, you can download a fully functional 30 day trial version from the Vegas website. 

I kinda miss my video editing system, it was a beast (back in the day). Having the right video card and quad processors will make things go faster.  Vegas is very hardware intensive.  My system had dual video cards and  LCD monitors, a TV  hooked up for preview, 2 hardware SCSI 160 RAIDs, a serial ATA RAID and dual Xeon processors.  The more SFX you use, the more you will benefit from a robust PC because Vegas renders your project in real time.

People still burn to DVD and Bluray?  I thought it's all about the YouTube nowadays.

I have used Adobe Premiere (and Premiere Elements) for various projects over the years. I was able to pick up the basics of using it extremely quickly, though I had used other Adobe software  and audio software previously, so not sure if that helped any. Elements should be fairly inexpensive.

Microsoft's offering was simple and enough for basic work, but I wasn't super impressed.

I remember the first render I did on a pentium II 266 took around 24 hours for a 4 minute video, only for the codec to have not worked properly, and I had to render it again for another 24 hours. Same video would probably render in about a minute today on my current PC.