ChrisS

Learning to hunt... pointers?

I want to learn to hunt properly. My grandfather was an avid hunter and fisherman. My father strictly fished. I’ve always been interested in hunting but haven’t had anyone to learn from. 

I currently own a H&R Model 88 12g singleshot and haven’t shot it yet. I’m planning on putting some range time in with it to get comfortable (plenty of rifle experience, though). 

can anyone recommend some tips/info on how to start hunting the right way? I’ve already downloaded the hunting video and workbook listed at the top of this forum and will be delving into it on Wednesday. 

thanks, all. I’m not in a rush... looking to do it right. 

always bring a compass to know which way the wind needs to be , sample if you hunt the edge of a swamp and trails coming out  see which way the wind will blow from the swamp out not in  and ONLY HUNT THAT WIND  if not all you will do is educate the deer that your there.

Were I hunt on the pine barrens deer live in the swamp  or the retirement villages  if you find thick swamps look for heavily used trails coming out , get a cheap trail cam and set it up to see if deer are using that trail at night or during shooting light . If you plan on baiting  don't sit over your bait sit on trails about 80yrds leading to your bait most times deer will lurk a ways off your bait and circle to catch any scent if your there , 

For Turkey.. 

all you need is:

a spot they are at and is legal to hunt

Correct clothing, mostly woodland. 

A decoy, and you need to be able to call. 

Extras would be a nice ground blind. 

Pheasant hunts are fun with friends, I avoid the WMA places like the plague tho.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, ChrisS said:

Turkey. I tagged along on pheasant hunts with my ex-FIL but never actually hunted. I’d be interested in that as well. 

CNJFO will have a fall Pheasant Hunt.  Guided hunt over dogs at Giberson Farm in Pemberton.  Excellent hunt for noobs.

• Agree 1