ChrisS

Learning to hunt... pointers?

I want to learn to hunt properly. My grandfather was an avid hunter and fisherman. My father strictly fished. I’ve always been interested in hunting but haven’t had anyone to learn from. 

I currently own a H&R Model 88 12g singleshot and haven’t shot it yet. I’m planning on putting some range time in with it to get comfortable (plenty of rifle experience, though). 

can anyone recommend some tips/info on how to start hunting the right way? I’ve already downloaded the hunting video and workbook listed at the top of this forum and will be delving into it on Wednesday. 

thanks, all. I’m not in a rush... looking to do it right. 

39 minutes ago, Danno said:

Well the first question would be, "What are you looking to hunt?"

Turkey. I tagged along on pheasant hunts with my ex-FIL but never actually hunted. I’d be interested in that as well. 

Were I hunt on the pine barrens deer live in the swamp  or the retirement villages  if you find thick swamps look for heavily used trails coming out , get a cheap trail cam and set it up to see if deer are using that trail at night or during shooting light . If you plan on baiting  don't sit over your bait sit on trails about 80yrds leading to your bait most times deer will lurk a ways off your bait and circle to catch any scent if your there , 

For Turkey.. 

all you need is:

a spot they are at and is legal to hunt

Correct clothing, mostly woodland. 

A decoy, and you need to be able to call. 

Extras would be a nice ground blind. 

Pheasant hunts are fun with friends, I avoid the WMA places like the plague tho.

On 8/12/2019 at 8:32 PM, ChrisS said:

Turkey. I tagged along on pheasant hunts with my ex-FIL but never actually hunted. I’d be interested in that as well. 

CNJFO will have a fall Pheasant Hunt.  Guided hunt over dogs at Giberson Farm in Pemberton.  Excellent hunt for noobs.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

Forgot to mention - there's also apprentice licenses available.  @Smokin .50 can help elaborate on this.  We had a couple apprentice hunters at the last CNJFO Pheasant Hunt, if I recall correctly.  

I’ll look into it- thank you!

Please allow me to hijack your topic for the same purpose.

I moved here from an Asian country a while ago and hunting wasn't a thing back there, so I haven't had anyone to learn from either.

I currently have a .22LR and a .308 that I can go hunt with, but I'd prefer to start with small games to get used to field dressing.
Yes I know we can't really hunt anything with .22LR in NJ... but I don't mind driving to PA.

I've passed the online hunter course and just waiting for the live-fire trips to open. I've subscribed to hunter magazine. I've bookmarked and watched a large amount of hunting guides & tips online... But I need practice.

So I'm looking for a hunt party/group which accept new hunters even if I will have to follow & observe for the first couple trips.

I don't have a hunting shotgun and have not practiced with one, bird I can definitely get one and start training if needed.

• Like 1

For hunting, be it deer, bird, or small game, New Jersey is shotgun country. 

Best thing to do is find yourself a nice 12 gauge - probably a pump-action like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 - something that will accept multiple barrels.  You can use a 26-28 inch barrel threaded for multiple chokes for bird hunting, clay shooting, as well as hunting deer with buckshot, and you will have the ability to add a cylinder-choked barrel with rifled sights for deer.  This way you're set for most any hunting you can do in New Jersey.   

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, W2MC said:

For hunting, be it deer, bird, or small game, New Jersey is shotgun country. 

Best thing to do is find yourself a nice 12 gauge - probably a pump-action like a Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 - something that will accept multiple barrels.  You can use a 26-28 inch barrel threaded for multiple chokes for bird hunting, clay shooting, as well as hunting deer with buckshot, and you will have the ability to add a cylinder-choked barrel with rifled sights for deer.  This way you're set for most any hunting you can do in New Jersey.   

I agree 100% one can hunt almost any animal in North America with a 12g pump shotgun. They are by far the most versatile hunting gun 

11 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

Did you mean "slugs"?

Typo...rifle sights - required for hunting deer with slugs. Not required for hunting deer with buckshot.