kc17

M&P 2.0

Looking for someone that has the 2.0 with the detent-thing for the slide lock. This makes it much more difficult (impossible when I tried) to use the slide lock lever to return the slide to battery. I guess S&W REALLY wants users to rack the slide instead of using the lever. With the original (aka 1.0) slamming a magazine in while the slide is locked back is enough to release the lock and chamber a round. I was not able to do so one the one I looked at yesterday. I also could not use my thumb to release the lock.

I'm wondering a couple of things. First, is this as annoying as I fear it might be. Second, will use "break it in" and make it easier. My thoughts are possibly and not likely.

Any first hand experiences out there?

KC: Since you were alert enough to flag that satirical article, I thought I'd check this out for you.

I have a M&P 2.0 9mm full size. The slide lock 'lever' is definitely not the easiest to release and doesn't give your thumb much purchase, but I can do it with just my thumb. Have done it on the range. I haven't put more than 300 rounds through it, so I don't know if that's 'broken in'. But I don't remember any problem releasing the slide after I bought it.

Here is one interesting thing though I did just discover. To check the slide lock I pulled out a dummy round and tried to insert it into the S&W 10 round magazine. And I couldn't! By habit at the range I always use a Mag-Lula loader, and I've never tried to manually insert a round. I'll have to play with this a little more, but I'm sitting at my desk with it and I can barely push the follower down at all, let alone get a round to insert!

27 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

KC: Since you were alert enough to flag that satirical article, I thought I'd check this out for you. :icon_lol:

I have a M&P 2.0 9mm full size. The slide lock 'lever' is definitely not the easiest to release and doesn't give your thumb much purchase, but I can do it with just my thumb. Have done it on the range. I haven't put more than 300 rounds through it, so I don't know if that's 'broken in'. But I don't remember any problem releasing the slide after I bought it.

Here is one interesting thing though I did just discover. To check the slide lock I pulled out a dummy round and tried to insert it into the S&W 10 round magazine. And I couldn't! By habit at the range I always use a Mag-Lula loader, and I've never tried to manually insert a round. I'll have to play with this a little more, but I'm sitting at my desk with it and I can barely push the follower down at all, let alone get a round to insert!

Thanks.

@remixer was able to release it with his thumb also, I couldn't though. I'm starting to get into competitive shooting so this type of thing weighs a little heavier in my decisions.

You may find this post interesting. Scroll down and view the video on post #2.

Also this quote from further down:

"Some pistols are designed so the slide stop can be used as a release, the 1911 is a prime example. If you look at the slide stop or release on a 1911, especially the original design and not one of the custom levers, it is clearly designed to push DOWN and there is virtually no attempt to help the shooter push it up.

The M&P is exactly the opposite, it is designed to push UP, not down, and the ambidextrous design is designed so you can push it up from either side, no attempt at all is made to make it easier to push down. In some of the owner's manuals, they vary somewhat, it says to pull the side to the rear, then push the slide stop down to unlock it, the key point there is that they tell you to pull the slide to the rear first, thus taking all the strain off the release."

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2019 at 2:53 PM, kc17 said:

Thanks.

@remixer was able to release it with his thumb also, I couldn't though. I'm starting to get into competitive shooting so this type of thing weighs a little heavier in my decisions.

If you are going into slide lock you are doing it wrong. This is for USPSA.  IDPA I dont know much.

If I was a more accurate shooter I'd agree. But at my current level I need all the rounds I can get. I've only done one USPSA so far. During one of the stages I used too many rounds on poppers at the beginning and ran out of rounds by the end; which cost me a huge penalty because I did not have ammo to engage the last three pair of targets. What annoyed me more than anything was I tried to be slick with time management and dropped a mag while on the move from one side of the course to the other; that mag had three rounds left in it!

15 hours ago, kc17 said:

If I was a more accurate shooter I'd agree. But at my current level I need all the rounds I can get. I've only done one USPSA so far. During one of the stages I used too many rounds on poppers at the beginning and ran out of rounds by the end; which cost me a huge penalty because I did not have ammo to engage the last three pair of targets. What annoyed me more than anything was I tried to be slick with time management and dropped a mag while on the move from one side of the course to the other; that mag had three rounds left in it!

Dont even worry about that. That will improve.  If you are missing... You are shooting too fast. Worry about that rather than that last round. 

But what I meant was... You start with 10 plus 1 in chamber. If you reload at 10 or less... Your gun should not go dry.

And always have like 2 or 3 more mags than you think you will need. For a 32 round stage I usually have 1 in the gun and 4 or 5 on the belt.

And of course... Dont fall in love with steel.ie sometimes better to just stop.

Swnt you a pm.

I have a 2.0, and it worked straight out of the box. The left side anyway. The right side is near impossible, but most of the ambidextrous releases (that I have experienced) are from the right.

Actually, the gen 5 Glocks were the best I have handled (from the right side).