Need help deciding here:

I'm torn between Ruger mark IV and SW22. Want to buy a universal gun for Bullseye and Steel Challenge, so it has to be bull barrel or similar.

I like stainless steel Ruger and million aftermarket parts available but I don't like grip angle (22/45 fits better but it's plastic) and the fact that barrel is the firearm. So every time I would think of a new barrel it will have to be a new set permits....

On the contrary SW22 has less aftermarket support and somewhat strange grip  - the angle is fine though. Plus its cheaper.

Your opinions? pls?

thanks in advance.

P.S. Buck Mark is out - don't even bring it up :). I own Buck Mark, i like the way it shoots but the takedown process can be painful. last time I wanted to clean it i stripped the hex screw and had to go to a gunsmith . Also, little aftermarket options and harder to find parts. 

3 hours ago, Matroskin said:

Need help deciding here:

I'm torn between Ruger mark IV and SW22. Want to buy a universal gun for Bullseye and Steel Challenge, so it has to be bull barrel or similar.

I like stainless steel Ruger and million aftermarket parts available but I don't like grip angle (22/45 fits better but it's plastic) and the fact that barrel is the firearm. So every time I would think of a new barrel it will have to be a new set permits....

On the contrary SW22 has less aftermarket support and somewhat strange grip  - the angle is fine though. Plus its cheaper.

Your opinions? pls?

thanks in advance.

P.S. Buck Mark is out - don't even bring it up :). I own Buck Mark, i like the way it shoots but the takedown process can be painful. last time I wanted to clean it i stripped the hex screw and had to go to a gunsmith . Also, little aftermarket options and harder to find parts. 

How often do you expect to change the barrel?

The barrel is not the serial numbered receiver.  The barrel screws into the receiver.  No permit needed for a  barrel change.  Probably not  DIY job.  Send it to Ruger.

One can adapt to the grip angle of any handgun, if they want to.

The only advantage/disadvantage (depending on what you're looking for) is weight.  My 22/45 has enough weight to mitigate the recoil of a 22 IMO.

A Model 41 is a nice gun but most do quite well with something less expensive.

Thanks guys. I narrowed it down to two models Ruger Target and SW22, both with threaded barrels so I can put compensator on it. now it boils down to $180 difference SW22 being cheaper. now that's about 3500 rounds of ammo :). The question is, if Ruger worth the premium.

I tend to favor the Ruger, they're solid, aftermarket support is great, the MK IVs are easy to clean, and the factory sights, while not great, are better than most in that price range.  That said, the S&W has a reallllly nice trigger, for a factory gun.

17 hours ago, Matroskin said:

I like stainless steel Ruger and million aftermarket parts available but I don't like grip angle (22/45 fits better but it's plastic)

Been looking at the Ruger also, the Hunter model (40160) looks to have a different grip angle then the Target. Don't know if that fits your needs. 

Also I like the look of it better.

40 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Been looking at the Ruger also, the Hunter model (40160) looks to have a different grip angle then the Target. Don't know if that fits your needs. 

Also I like the look of it better.

Agree on the looks - that how the whole story started, but it's just different wrap around rosewood grips not the grip angle.

Still in the air.. One day is sw22 and next its mk4.. but I'm more inclined for sw22.

I like to customize my toys and only deterring factor from ruger is serialized upper. Ideally I would love to have a platform which I can easily modify depending on use.

the dream gun would have same frame, bull barrel, and light upper. Another thing is I like 22/45 angle frame better but it doesn't come with threaded barrel, I don't like lite models.

I LOVE the lite model... There is little reason to go for the heavy one.

17 minutes ago, Matroskin said:

Still in the air.. One day is sw22 and next its mk4.. but I'm more inclined for sw22.

I like to customize my toys and only deterring factor from ruger is serialized upper. Ideally I would love to have a platform which I can easily modify depending on use.

the dream gun would have same frame, bull barrel, and light upper. Another thing is I like 22/45 angle frame better but it doesn't come with threaded barrel, I don't like lite models.

17 minutes ago, Matroskin said:

Btw... why do you need a threaded barrel in NJ?

Do you own property outside of NJ to put on a suppressor?

There is ZERO reason to put on a muzzle break on a 22lr. 

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

I LOVE the lite model... There is little reason to go for the heavy one.

Btw... why do you need a threaded barrel in NJ?

Do you own property outside of NJ to put on a suppressor?

There is ZERO reason to put on a muzzle break on a 22lr. 

Threaded - because for $15-50 why not. It looks cool, it might help with target re-acquisition, and maybe if I will ever move out of this state..

I like the Victory and it might have a better out-of-the-box trigger.  I don't like that it needs a tool to take-down.  I even prefer the older Rugers to that, but an Allen Key isn't such a big deal.  It is easy to change barrels with the Victory as well, as it is my understanding.  There is a following on them, and there will be lots more aftermarket parts available as time goes on.  However, I am a big fan of the Rugers, and in particular the Hunter Model and the 22/45 Lite.  I prefer the 5.5" ones with a bull barrel.  

I have a MK 1 with a Volquartsen trigger bull barrel and target grips and after market front sight.

I also have a stock SW 22.

I quite fond of both of them but my only complaint is the stock SW 22 fiber optic sights are almost useless indoors, at least at RTSP. Perhaps indoors with a different lighting angle they may be better but RTSP is the only place indoors I've shot it.

Volquartsen makes an aftermarket barrel for the SW 22 with a built in compensater.

https://volquartsen.com/products/1211-i-fluted-ss-barrel-for-sw22

You really can't go wrong with either one.

Here is my update for anyone who is interested:
I've finally got a Sw22 and was able to take it to the range as well as replace trigger and mag release with tandemkross.

I love the gun, the more I shoot it the more I like it.

I put 2MOA red dot on it with polymer rail which after 200 rounds and 2 disassemblies still keeps zero.

So far I had 3 FTF on the first 10 rounds, but ever since then no hiccups. I feed it CCI HV to break in and then SV.

Next, I plan to try hive grips from TK and Game changer pro comp.

I say it is a good choice.  It has the grip angle you like and it has more weight to it than the 22/45 or 22/45 Lite, which though not as versatile, might be better for bullseye.  

Heck, with the money you saved you can probably find a used older Ruger 22/45 to play with as well, or a Wrangler.  I would like to get a S&W Victory at some point.  I like it, but to me the lines need to be improved a little for aesthetics.    It is chunky, and cannot justify adding it, as it is too similar to a Ruger Mark in function. 

I don't mind the Mark grip angle or take-down.  Maybe they are not even close, but for some reason the older blued Ruger Mark II remind me of Han Solo's blaster,  and its replica which was something that was lost in my childhood.   I remember acting out that poltically incorrect scene with Gwido.    I had wanted that toy so bad and finally got one, and when our washing machine was on the fritz and I was in school, my pre-school-aged younger bro "borrowed it" and took it to the laundromat and it was left there, and never to be replaced.   My toy six-shooters or 1911 just couldn't replace it.

8 hours ago, Underdog said:

for some reason the older blued Ruger Mark II remind me of Han Solo's blaster,  and its replica which was something that was lost in my childhood.   I remember acting out that poltically incorrect scene with Gwido.    

If you want something that reminds you of Han Solo's blaster, get a Broomhandle Mauser.   

Han Solo's blaster was a 1896 Mauser design

The prop shop for Star Wars built one (a couple, actually) up from venerable C-96 Broomhandles they had on hand, the first of the prop guns had been used (in unaltered form) by Frank Sinatra in the 1968 film  "The Naked Runner"

12 hours ago, Underdog said:

Maybe they are not even close, but for some reason the older blued Ruger Mark II remind me of Han Solo's blaster,  and its replica which was something that was lost in my childhood

You actually missed your chance:

https://www.range365.com/umarex-to-auction-han-solo-blaster-for-may-fourth/

And yes, it's a BB  gun, but an extremely cool BB gun. 

Might make a fun winter-time project. And you can get a full-auto version (yeah, I know...)

Folks, another update.

So I did get TK hive grip and the compensator.

1. The hive grip indeed improved the guns feeling. So yes it does worth the money.

2. A game changer pro compensator - I cannot tell if that make any difference but that doesn't mean it useless.

I shoot the rimfire 2G match this Saturday at Old Bridge. Gun ran almost flawless, here are few points for improvement that I'll have to address:

Safety - is too small, I accidentally flipped it twice during first stage, means either I need to replace it with larger one, I believe TK has one "the cornerstone", or just train myself to ride it.

Mag Release - I replaced the stock with TK one and apparently it's too long. Also hit it twice during the stage, so I guess I will need to shorten it 1-2mm.

Ammo - ran CCI SV - no hiccups

No FTE or FTF's.

Overall, very happy with it so far. Total price was around $585 including upgrades and ffl fees.

My next update will be after bullseye competition, will see if it can keep up with buckmark.