NJSigfan

Confused and Frustrated

Hello fellow reloaders, 

I need some help solving a reloading problem.  Let me start by saying I’ve been reloading 45 ACP and 9mm for a few years now and until today everything has gone smoothly and bang at the range.   Historically I’ve reloaded using FMJ delta precision or plated extreme bullets, my own once fired brass, CCI primers and few different powders.  I use a Lee 5 stage progressive press with Lee carbide 4 die set with a universal decapping die.

Today, I had an afternoon free so I decided to decompress by reloading some 9mm.  Only this time, I used 115gr coated bullets from  ibejiheads that I picked up about 6 months ago.  So I started reloading, finished 5 rounds then stopped to QC them.   Here is where my confusion and frustration comes in.   I had the OAL set at 1.150 with a decent crimp.  When I went to gauge check them, they were too long.  I had to reduce the OAL to 1.103 which is below the minimum OAL of 1.125 that’s recommended for titegroup powder.  Could the coating throw off the OAL length that much?   I did the plunk test on my p226 barrel and it “plunks” nicely.  

I ended up taking all the dies out of the press and reset them, but no matter what I do I can not get the rounds to fit flush in the gauge checker.  

The heads measure 0.3125 wide and .05395 tall, primers sit flush in resized federal brass.  The brass even sits flush in the gauge checker until I load the heads.  

My question is; can I safely fire these rounds if they measure below 1.125 OAL?  What would cause them to plunk nicely but not sit flush in the gauge checker?  

Depending on the dies and the bullet head profile. 

Should be safe to fire if you loaded light... Would not risk if you are using a fast powder and a hotter load.

What guns are you shooting it from?  I generally load slightly long anyway.  Only picky ones are stock cz barrels and some glocks. But this is also why i chamber check every round for match ammo. Not a block but my actual gun barrel. 

@Maksim I loaded to 4.0 grains of titegroup.  Max load for 115gr lead calls for 4.3 grains of titegroup.  I tend to load lite or midrange to the published max load to keep things safe.  These were just plinking  round so I can shoot them from my browning or P226.

@Longranger I’m not aware of any specific load date for ibejiheads but was told to follow for equivalent weight lead.

What weight bullet do you usually use? If you are used to 124gr or 147gr you will find the ogive to be quite different. If the seating surface of the die has a hollow center and it touching the head somewhere below the tip you will find the lighter head will sit higher than the fatter, heavier head.

For christ sake, @Longranger you’re right. I was just looking at their site and saw the minimum value.  The question now is, how did I mix mix it up with 1.125?  I’ll leave that for tomorrow tho.

thanks to @Maksimand @Mr.Stu for their help as well.q