Maksim

Suppressors for NJ Residents

So... NO... most NJ residents cannot buy suppressors.  

There are however many of you that I know own vacation homes and properties out of state, like in PA.  You may actually be able to own suppressors.

Was having this discussion with my local purveyor of fine arms and evil items, @FreedomSportsLLC.  

If you own a place outside of NJ, where suppressors are legal, you are likely able to purchase one with proper documentation.  

The big caveat is though, you can only keep them and shoot them in PA.  Obviously illegal in NJ.

3 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Finding one knowledgeable enough to deal with this?  Yes... @FreedomSportsLLC

I'll have to visit these guys. I do have a FFL who worked with me (for their first time!) as a dual state resident to sell us firearms in PA. (They were unaware it was legal.) But they are not a class 3 dealer. 

1 minute ago, 45Doll said:

I'll have to visit these guys. I do have a FFL who worked with me (for their first time!) as a dual state resident to sell us firearms in PA. (They were unaware it was legal.) But they are not a class 3 dealer. 

Todd has been good.   

Suppressors it is generally easier as when the tax stamp clears, you do not need to do another NICS check with PA... just fill out 4473.

With out of state residents for gun purchases... it is much more pain in the ass so you will have to ask Todd if he feels comfortable, but as far as I know... no. 

7 hours ago, Maksim said:

How many people would be interested in this idea?

1 hour ago, Ray Ray said:

I don't even know what it is, but I want suppressors.

Maks creating a NJGF NFA trust. 

Since you have a family farm in PA (lucky dog), where you are a legal (dual) resident, you can get all the NFA gizmos without joining a trust.

Just a side note. For anyone unfamiliar with why you probably want your NFA items in a trust rather than owning them 'personally',

read this page.

And you want a trust specifically designed for firearms such as the one sold on this site. Not a generic one-size-fits-all trust.

8 hours ago, Maksim said:

How many people would be interested in this idea?

The logistics could be complicated.  Where would the stamped item reside when not in use? At "Casa Maksim"?

Would you need an appointment to check it out?  Just sayin'

Now @PK90  - I own a couple of cans and have a trust.  Do you need to notify BATF when you cross state lines with a can like you do with a "full auto"?

"Does the registered owner of a destructive device, machine gun, short-barreled shotgun, or short-barreled rifle need authorization to  lawfully transport such items interstate?

Yes, unless the registered possessor is a qualified dealer, manufacturer or importer, or a licensed collector transporting only curios or relics. Prior approval must be obtained, even if the move is temporary. Approval is requested by either submitting a letter containing all necessary information, or by submitting ATF Form 5320.20, Application to Transport Interstate or to Temporarily Export Certain National Firearms Act (NFA) Firearms. This requirement does not apply to the lawful interstate transportation of silencers. Possession of the firearms also must comply with all State and local laws.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(4); 27 CFR 478.28]"

My underline added.

19 hours ago, Maksim said:

So... NO... most NJ residents cannot buy suppressors.  

There are however many of you that I know own vacation homes and properties out of state, like in PA.  You may actually be able to own suppressors.

Was having this discussion with my local purveyor of fine arms and evil items, @FreedomSportsLLC.  

If you own a place outside of NJ, where suppressors are legal, you are likely able to purchase one with proper documentation.  

The big caveat is though, you can only keep them and shoot them in PA.  Obviously illegal in NJ.

Do you need to be a full time resident of PA?

10 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Do you need to be a full time resident of PA?

No. But you do need to be a resident, as in a home that you own, do not rent out, and periodically live in. Your tax and utility bills serve as proof of residency. You do NOT need a PA driver's license. This applies to both NFA and non-NFA firearms.

I would note that as soon as you are a 'resident' of more than one state, you are by definition not full time anywhere.

You can have many residences. But only one (state of) domicile.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

@PK90 @Old School

Gents - As I live still behind the lines - I have an investment collection - my daughter and soon to be husband (marriage in Oct in Charleston Hint hint for a beer there Frank... :) ) live in PA.

How does a trust work with these new ERPO - or Red Flag BS items ?

Say someone gets some shit in their craw and makes a BS call on me - in lieu of them seizing the weapons will it fall to another trustee as opposed to be placed in an evidence locker and rusting?

thoughts?

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

@PK90 @Old School

Gents - As I live still behind the lines - I have an investment collection - my daughter and soon to be husband (marriage in Oct in Charleston Hint hint for a beer there Frank... :) ) live in PA.

Say someone gets some shit in their craw and makes a BS call on me - in lieu of them seizing the weapons will it fall to another trustee as opposed to be placed in an evidence locker and rusting?

thoughts?

Depends on how your trust is written and if you will be restricted from access to the said devices.

BTW no beer for you.  Not while you're in the yard shooting suppressed.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

That's a very interesting question, and I doubt there's any case law on it at this time. I'll inquire with my PA attorney.

On the face of it a 'trust' could not be found threatening. An individual trustee could. In that case revoking the trustee's participation would legally preclude and exclude him/her from legally possessing the firearms.

But would that stop LE from seizing them? Who the hell knows?

• Agree 1

49 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

That's a very interesting question, and I doubt there's any case law on this time. I'll inquire with my PA attorney.

On the face of it a 'trust' could not be found threatening. An individual trustee could. In that case revoking the trustee's participation would legally preclude and exclude him/her from legally possessing the firearms.

But would that stop LE from seizing them? Who the hell knows?

Trust is its own entity. I could see the trust being forced to remove the trustee but the trust itself should be safe. And PA does not have red flag laws... Yet

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Trust is its own entity. I could see the trust being forced to remove the trustee but the trust itself should be safe. And PA does not have red flag laws... Yet

That's true. The hearings are coming up September 24 and 25. I"m planning on being there. My attorney will be testifying.

50 minutes ago, Maksim said:

All true but the person in question would have to be removed by resolution or language of the trust if a person becomes ineligible.  Hey what do I know?

2 minutes ago, Old School said:

All true but the person in question would have to be removed by resolution or language of the trust if a person becomes ineligible.  Hey what do I know?

Correct.

Wondering if there is any case law on this yet. lol.

Have not looked at Trust docs as the stuff I bought since moving has been in my own name, not trust.