Maksim

Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39

So after discovering that I can search the Ruger site by caliber... I found this guy... the American Ranch in 7.62x39. 

image.png

So besides that it is cheap... wondering... why?

I suppose for hunting and cheap ammo?

In any case... lol. yes. I will be requesting one to test when I am done with the current batch.

I love mine. It is a handy, inexpensive gun that comfortably shoots a cheap round that hits hard. What is not to love? I only wish it had iron sights.

I have been gravitating away from buying anymore semi-autos lately, opting for bolt and lever guns. I shoot better when I slow down and I save money on ammo. And.... I don't want to sound like a wuss, but I can totally see Murphy trying for an AR/AK/semi-auto rifle ban in the next couple years. He might let us keep our Marlin 60s and Ruger 10/22s.

• Like 1

Just now, dajonga said:

I love mine. It is a handy, inexpensive gun that comfortably shoots a cheap round that hits hard. What is not to love? I only wish it had iron sights.

I have been gravitating away from buying anymore semi-autos lately, opting for bolt and lever guns. I shoot better when I slow down and I save money on ammo. And.... I don't want to sound like a wuss, but I can totally see Murphy trying for an AR/AK/semi-auto rifle ban in the next couple years. He might let us keep our Marlin 60s and Ruger 10/22s.

Very cool.  How many rounds have you put through it?

I do think iron sights on it would be cool too.  

I bought one a few months back , have a bunch of steel cased ammo that'll be wasted in an AK love this little rifle added a 4x12 - 40 NIKON and a Surefire Comp. , The Comp tamed what recoil it had to about 1/2 100 yards steel ammo decent groups bought some brass case name brands to try out then  I'll start reloading for a little more accuracy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TOMMY R said:

I bought one a few months back , have a bunch of steel cased ammo that'll be wasted in an AK love this little rifle added a 4x12 - 40 NIKON and a Surefire Comp. , The Comp tamed what recoil it had to about 1/2 100 yards steel ammo decent groups bought some brass case name brands to try out then  I'll start reloading for a little more accuracy. 

Thanks for sharing. Reloading 7.62x39 just kind of seems.... Wrong.

• Haha 1

My RAR is in 5.56. For an inexpensive gun, it's pretty solid. I've put a few hundred rounds through mine and it's been a joy. I've done sub-MOA with 4-5 rounds and a lot of other reviews online people generally seem to love it too.

On 8/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, TOMMY R said:

So it runs OK with steel cased ammo? 

I am going to try real hard to make it to the NJGF meet up at Garden State Shooting Center on Tuesday the 3rd.

If I can make it, I will bring my RAR 763x39. It might not be sighted in that well, but if I am there, it will be with me.

I have a Leupold 2-7x on it.

Anyone interested in it is more than welcome to try it out.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, dajonga said:

I am going to try real hard to make it to the NJGF meet up at Garden State Shooting Center on Tuesday the 3rd.

If I can make it, I will bring my RAR 763x39. It might not be sighted in that well, but if I am there, it will be with me.

I have a Leupold 2-7x on it.

Anyone interested in it is more than welcome to try it out.

Thanks. Looking forward to it!

4 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

Shoots steel ammo just fine average groups anywhere around 1 1/2" to 2 + at a 100 yards more expensive brass like Federal , Hornady , lot tighter groups . I've put Golden Tiger , Tula , Wolf , & Brown Bear not one issue it all goes bang and extracts without no issues so far.

5 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

5 minutes ago, TOMMY R said:

Shoots steel ammo just fine average groups anywhere around 1 1/2" to 2 + at a 100 yards more expensive brass like Federal , Hornady , lot tighter groups . I've put Golden Tiger , Tula , Wolf , & Brown Bear not one issue it all goes bang and extracts without no issues so far.

Just to add, the majority of issues with steel case ammo is with semi-autos which have issues extracting the spent case.   Sometimes feeding issues of new rounds.

Depending on how it is coated, it may get stuck in the chamber.

There is also the difference between steel case and aluminum case.  I have generally had ZERO issues with aluminum cased ammo.

58 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Can Iron/fibr optic sights be added?

I'm not sure I would. The picatinny rail is kinda short. Definitely enough room for two rings for a scope. But I feel, at least for me, I wouldn't think it useful to use iron or fiber optic sights.

Maksim, if you still haven't tried one, you are welcome to try mine in 5.56.

• Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 7:38 PM, Maksim said:

Just to add, the majority of issues with steel case ammo is with semi-autos which have issues extracting the spent case.   Sometimes feeding issues of new rounds.

Depending on how it is coated, it may get stuck in the chamber.

There is also the difference between steel case and aluminum case.  I have generally had ZERO issues with aluminum cased ammo.

Just curious, from a metallurgical perspective, would aluminum and brass extract better, at least in part due to better and faster heat transfer coefficients than steel?  Thinking that they may cool down quicker especially if heat synced by the surrounding barrel and then shrink slightly which would allow easier extraction.

Of course this may not be even remotely close to what actually happens.

49 minutes ago, jm1827 said:

Just curious, from a metallurgical perspective, would aluminum and brass extract better, at least in part due to better and faster heat transfer coefficients than steel?  Thinking that they may cool down quicker especially if heat synced by the surrounding barrel and then shrink slightly which would allow easier extraction.

Of course this may not be even remotely close to what actually happens.

Not a scientist but have been testing plenty of ammo.

Aluminum extracts A LOT better than steel cased ammo almost across the board.  Though the russian steel cased is far better than American steel cased, I believe due to different coating.

In any case, we did not have any issues with @dajonga's Ruger American with whatever crap ammo we were feeding it!

Williams Peep Sights on the rimfire rendition (bolt action)...

But nothing apparently for the center-fired rifles without a Gunsmith.  If iron sights are important, check out the Savage Scouts or the CZ 527s.