I currently work for a company based in PA, they supply me with a home in NJ where I spend about 2 1/2 months per year at, (this can vary but never longer than the length of the summer season), I do not rent, nor own the house supplied to me in NJ, but I do get mail there. I do personally own homes in western and north eastern PA, and one in south Florida. I spend a few months a year at each, and travel quite a bit for work. I spent the past month in Texas for work. My driver's license says NJ, but only because that's were I first got a license 40 years ago. I own vehicles which are registered in PA, NJ, and FL although they sometimes end up in the wrong state by chance. Right now my FL car is in PA, and both PA registered vehicles are in NJ, and my one NJ car is in FL and the other in PA. My company cars are registered all over the country, usually where ever they were bought or leased. Most are from Maine, PA, Wyoming, or Wisconsin. I pay property taxes for four houses, two in PA, one in FL, and one in NJ. I rarely stay at my place in NJ, I stay at the work supplied house when I'm in NJ.
My question is, when it comes to NJ gun laws, what makes me a resident of NJ? I more or less think of myself mainly as a PA resident, because I spend the most time here.
When it comes to buying guns, in PA, I've always been a buyer at estate sales and local auctions, both are basically a person to person transaction in PA. I rarely buy any handguns, the few I have I inherited. I keep a good number of my collection of guns in NJ, which will be my last company supplied location before I retire in a few years. I will not be staying in NJ after that.

Where do I stand on gun purchases as far as residency in the eyes of NJ? I do not have an FID card, I gave up trying after two failed attempts and after what was supposed to be a full time move to NJ turned into NJ being a second work location I'm not sure what NJ considers me?  I own the most property in PA, but pay the most taxes in NJ by quite a bit, but the rate in NJ is 20 times higher than in PA, and 5 times higher than FL. When it comes time to retire, depending on a few things that may or may not change in PA, I'll likely retire to either PA, WV, or KY and at that point sell off my FL, NJ and NE PA house.

You can be a resident of many states, but you can only have one state of domicile. I'm not going to try to figure out your domicile.  You can look up what it means and talk to your tax guy to figure it out.

You are a resident of a state when you own a home that you pay property taxes on, pay utilities, do not rent out, and live there yourself periodically. (When you own homes in one or more states, I don't believe renting in another state qualifies you as resident. But I could be wrong about that, depending on the state.)

If the NJ home that you own fits that definition then you're a NJ resident. If your DL doesn't use that address, change it. Then get a FID and/or Permits to Purchase A Handgun.

If not, buy what you want in PA and skip NJ altogether. On second thought, why bother with NJ at all for firearms when you can purchase in PA or FL?

You're a resident of the state when you are residing in that state at the time of purchase. If buying from a dealer, you need to produce one or more Government issued documents that has your Photo, DOB, and current address.

In your case, your NJDL is used, and your auto registration of whatever state your in at time of purchase. Sounds like you'll need to keep the registrations with you. Of course, if buying in NJ, you'll need to get a FPID for long guns and Permits for handguns.

They determine domicile by license, family ties, bank accounts, vehicle registration, and other factors. Do yourself a favor and change your license and register your vehicles where you spend the most time. NJ car insurance is expensive.

The short answer is your domicile is not NJ and you are a Full-Year Nonresident. You may apply for a Nonresident Firearms ID Card which you need to purchase pistol ammunition and transport rifles & shotguns outside the exemptions of to and from a range, place of repair, or between residences. 

9 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

In NJ if there is no definition for what a resident is pertaining to gun laws what does the definition default to?

Federal Law Definition

State of residence. The State in which an individual resides. An individual resides in a State if he or she is present in a State with the intention of making a home in that State. If an individual is on active duty as a member of the Armed Forces, the individual's State of residence is the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, as stated in 18 U.S.C. 921(b). The following are examples that illustrate this definition:

Example 1.
A maintains a home in State X. A travels to State Y on a hunting, fishing, business, or other type of trip. A does not become a resident of State Y by reason of such trip.
Example 2.
A maintains a home in State X and a home in State Y. A resides in State X except for weekends or the summer months of the year and in State Y for the weekends or the summer months of the year. During the time that A actually resides in State X, A is a resident of State X, and during the time that A actually resides in State Y, A is a resident of State Y.
Example 3.
A, an alien, travels to the United States on a three-week vacation to State X. A does not have a state of residence in State X because A does not have the intention of making a home in State X while on vacation. This is true regardless of the length of the vacation.
Example 4.
A, an alien, travels to the United States to work for three years in State X. A rents a home in State X, moves his personal possessions into the home, and his family resides with him in the home. A intends to reside in State X during the 3-year period of his employment. A is a resident of State X.

One of the reasons I brought this up is that I had a PA gun shop tell me they can't sell me a shotgun because 'I'm a NJ resident' because I carry a NJ Driver's License.

I have had the same PA address for 35 years, but my driver's license is from NJ and shows my NJ address.  My original DL was from NJ many years ago so I've always just kept renewing the NJ DL. They mail the renewal to my PA address every four years.

9 hours ago, greatwhite said:

One of the reasons I brought this up is that I had a PA gun shop tell me they can't sell me a shotgun because 'I'm a NJ resident' because I carry a NJ Driver's License.

I have had the same PA address for 35 years, but my driver's license is from NJ and shows my NJ address.  My original DL was from NJ many years ago so I've always just kept renewing the NJ DL. They mail the renewal to my PA address every four years.

If you own the home at the PA address you reference, and can prove it with tax documents and utility bills, you don't rent it out and you do periodically reside there, then your PA gun shop is wrong.

Simply ask the FFL to call PICS and tell PICS they have a dual state resident and they have seen the tax and utility bills.

Then your FFL will learn something.

16 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Or, can you produce another ID that has your picture and DOB, ie Passport or any PA issued ID? If so, leave the NJDL in your wallet.

PICS will still want your DL, NJ or otherwise, to do the background check. The DL number is one of the keys.

Even a resident LTCF is not sufficient.

43 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

PICS will still want your DL, NJ or otherwise, to do the background check. The DL number is one of the keys.

Even a resident LTCF is not sufficient.

What? So one has to be able to drive a car to buy a gun. Bullshit.

ETA: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=79646&s=dcc1d791aaf61dc1c1ed510250342516&p=986189#post986189

Lazy FFLs in PA.

2 minutes ago, PK90 said:

What? So one has to be able to drive a car to buy a gun. Bullshit.

No, it's not 'bullshit'. If you don't drive a car then you get a state issued photo ID card.

And if you have a driver's license in any state you can't get that ID card.

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

Read the ETA above

That's nice. When we buy firearms in PA and the PICS supervisor comes on the line (because many of the front line people don't know the facts) they demand our DL numbers. They put our LTCF numbers in the PA ID block, but our NJ DL numbers go on the forms margins.

Conclude what you want.