Sniper

"We Are Going Up In Flames": New Jersey In "Worse Shape Than Any Other State" Senate President Admits

3 hours ago, father-of-three said:

Is it also true that a portion of property taxes goes to other school districts in New Jersey?  I know Philadelphia is always begging for $$$ in Pennsylvania for their schools, but that is through the state tax system not the local tax system.

No that is income tax. Income tax has to go to property tax relief in NJ, and that is mostly in the form of school aid. Which mostly means school construction projects, which is why you see shitty school districts getting buildings replaced way faster than in more functional school districts. 

It also goes to county colleges, which is why you also see the state government being much more receptive to spending more on them when it comes to higher ed than state colleges. 

Some of your property taxes go to the county, but I'm not sure how they spend it in terms of education. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

I thought the lottery was going to take care of all that school funding?

Nope now it goes into the pension funds

https://www.pionline.com/article/20170705/ONLINE/170709972/new-jersey-approves-budget-shifting-state-lottery-to-pension-fund

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

Unbelievable. 

Reading the article, it looks like it was a sound attempt to get municipalities to reign in spending while kicking the can on pensions.  You have a property tax increase cap, a pension deficit, and a mandate that any bonds have to be on the ballot and that income tax can only go to property tax relief. 

So you redirect lottery winnings into the pensions and away from schools, seeing as schools essentially have the entirety of income tax pointed at them. 

31 minutes ago, Handyman said:

No way dude. But never fear - all the tax revenue from legal weed will save the day.

Oh... OK. So if I get a really big buzz on my property taxes will go down?

Just so there's no confusion..... /SarcOff/.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Wouldn't "Going DOWN in Flames" be more appropriate?

Dunno.  Might depend on whether the state is considered flammable or inflammable  

English is a weird language. 

• Crazy 1