Jump to content
ChrisS

Shot my first clays yesterday. Thank you all!

Recommended Posts

Thank you to everyone here that has offered advice to me. While at Skytop with my family I noticed they had an intro to clays course. I signed up and admittedly was a bit nervous. The instructor was awesome. I used the Lodge’s Browning Citori 12g. I’ve never shot a 12 or a moving target before. It was so fun! I know I have a LOT to learn but this was a great first step. I think it’s time to add an O/U or a SxS to my small collection and see what Salomon’s is all about since I’m only 10 minutes from there. 
 

Again, thank you all... what a great bunch of people.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats!  Yes... clays are their own world and starting you with a Citori?  Ok... get ready to open up your wallet.  It's like learning to drive in a luxury car. =P  Everything else will just be crap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bklynracer said:

Glad you liked it. I'm planning on going to Thunder Mountain in Ringwood this weekend with my son for our first time. 

Will also be renting 12 ga. Hoping my experience is as good as yours.

Any tips?

I’m sure you’ll both have fun. 
 

the group I was shooting with were trying to smash the clay the second it was thrown. I tried paying more attention to my mechanics even if it meant having the clay considerably further away. By the end of the day I was able to cut down the distance quite a bit without feeling hurried. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was shooting for awhile before I tried clays, and I love it!  So much fun to shoot shotguns at moving targets that explode when you hit them!

3 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Glad you liked it. I'm planning on going to Thunder Mountain in Ringwood this weekend with my son for our first time. 

Will also be renting 12 ga. Hoping my experience is as good as yours.

Any tips?

You're going to love it.  You don't even have to rent guns there.  When you buy ammo from them, they lend you the guns.  Start with the practice trap.  Their pullers will coach you and have you breaking them in no time.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went today with my son, we were on the practice range we had a good time. Did better then expected. We each did 2 boxes of 25. 1st round got 14/25, 2nd round 18/25. My son did 9 and 13. Think we used a Remington 870. 

Did much better then I expected, see the enjoyment, will definitely be going back, might have found another hobby. Watched some other guys doing doubles, will be a while before I try that. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Went today with my son, we were on the practice range we had a good time. Did better then expected. We each did 2 boxes of 25. 1st round got 14/25, 2nd round 18/25. My son did 9 and 13. Think we used a Remington 870. 

Did much better then I expected, see the enjoyment, will definitely be going back, might have found another hobby. Watched some other guys doing doubles, will be a while before I try that. 

Awesome! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Went today with my son, we were on the practice range we had a good time. Did better then expected. We each did 2 boxes of 25. 1st round got 14/25, 2nd round 18/25. My son did 9 and 13. Think we used a Remington 870. 

Did much better then I expected, see the enjoyment, will definitely be going back, might have found another hobby. Watched some other guys doing doubles, will be a while before I try that. 

Nice family owned business up there.  They are wildly busy on the weekends, but a lot quieter during the week.  If you do go on a weekend, be sure to get up there in the morning.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question for all the clay shooters that have way more experience then me.

My son and I have now gone a few times and enjoy it, Might be time to buy my own shotgun.

wondering is this a good beginner shotgun, didn't  want to spend a lot till I really know I will be really into it. Or should I go with a Remington or Mossberg.

also where do you guys buy clays?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/STOEGER-CONDOR-SPECIAL-BUY/3414558.uts?slotId=1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Question for all the clay shooters that have way more experience then me.

My son and I have now gone a few times and enjoy it, Might be time to buy my own shotgun.

wondering is this a good beginner shotgun, didn't  want to spend a lot till I really know I will be really into it. Or should I go with a Remington or Mossberg.

also where do you guys buy clays?

https://www.cabelas.com/product/STOEGER-CONDOR-SPECIAL-BUY/3414558.uts?slotId=1

Jeez, that’s cheap! I don’t have any personal experience with the Condor, but the reviews range from ‘good beater gun’ to ‘poor quality/unreliable’. the last one seems like it would make sense for clay shooting as you’re shooting a lot more than if you were bird hunting with it. 

Here’s a silly question- would you be using the shotgun for anything else? When I was at Salomons the other day to ask about shooting there, the fella behind the counter asked what kind of shotgun I had. When I explained that I’m shopping for an O/U and that I currently only have a single shot, he told me that the single is perfectly fine for shooting there. 
 

good luck! I’m sure people far more knowledgeable than me will offer some good advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

seems like it would make sense for clay shooting as you’re shooting a lot more than if you were bird hunting with it. 

It's the other way around.  Stoger is a marginally acceptable gun for hunting.  You won't be shooting very much and it's so cheap that, if it goes in the drink or gets beat up, it's no big deal.  On the other hand, casually used trap/clay guns can easily eat well over 1000 rounds each year and it will wear down a cheap quality firearm in no time at all.

There are plenty of O/Us in the $600 to $800 range that are better.  CZ, Stevens and Mossberg make O/Us in that price range.

5 minutes ago, ChrisS said:

the fella behind the counter asked what kind of shotgun I had. When I explained that I’m shopping for an O/U and that I currently only have a single shot, he told me that the single is perfectly fine for shooting there. 

That fella was probably Gene, the owner, and he's absolutely correct about single shot.  In fact, most of the folks that compete in sanctioned ATA trap use single shot break actions.  They are not using NEF or H&R guns though, most of the single shot trap guns start at around $1,200 and average around $1,800, but can cost as much as $3,000.  One of the main differences between a trap gun and a field gun is the angle of the stock.  Trap guns have a straight comb for control and better recoil management, while field guns have an angled comb better suited for offhand shooting.

One does not need to have a $3,000 shotgun to do well shooting clays.  Shooting for fun is one thing, competition is another level.  If you enjoy shooting the single shot you have now, then enjoy it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

It's the other way around.  Stoger is a marginally acceptable gun for hunting.  You won't be shooting very much and it's so cheap that, if it goes in the drink or gets beat up, it's no big deal.  On the other hand, casually used trap/clay guns can easily eat well over 1000 rounds each year and it will wear down a cheap quality firearm in no time at all.

There are plenty of O/Us in the $600 to $800 range that are better.  CZ, Stevens and Mossberg make O/Us in that price range.

That fella was probably Gene, the owner, and he's absolutely correct about single shot.  In fact, most of the folks that compete in sanctioned ATA trap use single shot break actions.  They are not using NEF or H&R guns though, most of the single shot trap guns start at around $1,200 and average around $1,800, but can cost as much as $3,000.  One of the main differences between a trap gun and a field gun is the angle of the stock.  Trap guns have a straight comb for control and better recoil management, while field guns have an angled comb better suited for offhand shooting.

One does not need to have a $3,000 shotgun to do well shooting clays.  Shooting for fun is one thing, competition is another level.  If you enjoy shooting the single shot you have now, then enjoy it.

Crap sentence structure on my part. I meant the reliability issue would be more prevalent with clays due to amount of use vs field shooting. 
 

so CZ, Stevens, Mossberg at $6-800 or this Stoeger at $299? I usually buy things that cost more but are better, unless something is so cheap that I consider it disposable and am pleasantly surprised if it lasts. 
 

This Stoeger at $299 could hold me over until Henry gets sick of my badgering them for an O/U and brings one to market.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Stoeger Condor is cheap for a reason.  It's fairly roughly made, heavy, and all together chunky.  See if you can find a used CZ or Stevens to bring the price down.  The main thing with an O/U is the fitment - if it doesn't fit you right, you won't shoot it well.

If you already have a pump or semi auto - stick with what you have for now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Krdshrk said:

Stoeger Condor is cheap for a reason.  It's fairly roughly made, heavy, and all together chunky.  See if you can find a used CZ or Stevens to bring the price down.  The main thing with an O/U is the fitment - if it doesn't fit you right, you won't shoot it well.

If you already have a pump or semi auto - stick with what you have for now.  

I like this answer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

the times I went used a Remington , I think 870. For a beginner is a O/U the way to go.

My first hunting/clay gun was a 35 year old (at the time) Stevens 311A SxS, my second hunting/clay gun was an 870.  Back then, I shot clays to practice for hunting.  Now, I shoot clays with a Browning Citori, because that's all I do with it.  I still enjoy shooting clays with all 3 guns, but the Browning is my go-to gun if I'm shooting regulation trap.

Some shotguns, like the Browning BT-99 and BT-100 are dedicated entry level single shot trap guns for beginners.   It's not a good all around gun, in fact, it's probably the worst since it's a single purpose gun.  Why get caught up in what gun is best when almost any gun will do the job, and the "best" guns will severely limit your use.

Again, I reiterate, buy/use a gun that will serve many purposes like hunting, HD and clays if you are a casual shooter.  If you are serious about getting into clays, then buy a gun better suited to that.  But keep this one thing in mind.  If you cant shoot well with an 870 or a 500 or maybe even an 1100, going out and buying a $2,000 trap gun will not help you shoot any better.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a Remington 870 Express Magnum Pump Leftie model with an 18" barrel and a stooopidly short LOP.  Then, shoot it right handed using your dominant left eye.    That's a world class clay shooting gun and superior technique that took me all of 3 minutes to master.   Hell I'm almost up to 3 or 4 hits out of 25.    Oh  -  and I know where you can one of those Remi's on the cheap.   :B:):

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

My first hunting/clay gun was a 35 year old (at the time) Stevens 311A SxS, my second hunting/clay gun was an 870.  Back then, I shot clays to practice for hunting.  Now, I shoot clays with a Browning Citori, because that's all I do with it.  I still enjoy shooting clays with all 3 guns, but the Browning is my go-to gun if I'm shooting regulation trap.

Some shotguns, like the Browning BT-99 and BT-100 are dedicated entry level single shot trap guns for beginners.   It's not a good all around gun, in fact, it's probably the worst since it's a single purpose gun.  Why get caught up in what gun is best when almost any gun will do the job, and the "best" guns will severely limit your use.

Again, I reiterate, buy/use a gun that will serve many purposes like hunting, HD and clays if you are a casual shooter.  If you are serious about getting into clays, then buy a gun better suited to that.  But keep this one thing in mind.  If you cant shoot well with an 870 or a 500 or maybe even an 1100, going out and buying a $2,000 trap gun will not help you shoot any better.

@ChrisS @Bklynracer run what a brung. Whatever it is. @brucin shoots one of the stupid shockwaves better than a real , big person gun. True story 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What shells (brands and type) do you guys use for trap and where do you get them?

is 2-3/4 standard, I ask because I see a prime brand 2-5/8 at target sports also what about Rio brand? Also what's the weight difference?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm still learning.

 https://www.natchezss.com/rio-target-load-skeet-12-ga-2-3-4-max-7-8-oz-9-1340-fps-25-box.html

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prime-ammunition-12-gauge-2-5-8-ammo-1-1-6-oz-00-buckshot-9-pellets-7688840025-p-109376.aspx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

What shells (brands and type) do you guys use for trap and where do you get them?

is 2-3/4 standard, I ask because I see a prime brand 2-5/8 at target sports also what about Rio brand? Also what's the weight difference?

Sorry for all the questions but I'm still learning.

 https://www.natchezss.com/rio-target-load-skeet-12-ga-2-3-4-max-7-8-oz-9-1340-fps-25-box.html

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/prime-ammunition-12-gauge-2-5-8-ammo-1-1-6-oz-00-buckshot-9-pellets-7688840025-p-109376.aspx

Gun club is gtg. Anything will work in manuals. 7.5 to 8

2 5/8 is probably a misprint. I 1 1/8 dram is mo  pellets mo better. Us semi guys and the guns are finicky with ammo. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Zeke said:

2 5/8 is probably a misprint

Not for magnum 00 buck.

For folks just getting into trap/skeet, any #7.5 or #8 load will do.  Buy the cheapest stuff you can find because there will be very little difference in a new shooters performance using a $4.50 box of field/dove loads and a $9 box of competition trap loads.  When you get to the point where you are hitting 80% or better, then you can think about buying the fancy stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

#7 1/2 or 8’s for TRAP. 8’s are fine from the 16 yd  line, go with 7  1/2’s and 1 1/8 oz  loads when back at the 27 yd. marker  

#8, 8 1/2 or 9’s for SKEET. Payload makes the difference . 

Sporting Clay courses offer a myriad of presentations and different distances. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great ammo deal at Dick's this month. Use a $10 coupon and get #8 or 7-1/2 x 1-1/8 oz for $4 per box. Look for a good quality o/u 32" barrel to shoot skeet, sporting clays, trap & trap doubles. Great sport, much better than poking holes in paper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, rifleman said:

Great ammo deal at Dick's this month. Use a $10 coupon and get #8 or 7-1/2 x 1-1/8 oz for $4 per box. Look for a good quality o/u 32" barrel to shoot skeet, sporting clays, trap & trap doubles. Great sport, much better than poking holes in paper.

Where did you see the coupon, been looking online can't seen to find it on the website.

As far as the sport enjoying it more and more, as is my son, kind of addictive and seem to be decent for me (hitting 18-21 out of 25 so far in 7 trips) was going to join Cherry Ridge in the spring, might join sooner, been going to thunder mountain, taking my boys gets expensive, but we good  fun and spend  time together. haven't shot a shotgun in the cold/ winter, or with gloves, sure it's different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Where did you see the coupon, been looking online can't seen to find it on the website.

As far as the sport enjoying it more and more, as is my son, kind of addictive and seem to be decent for me (hitting 18-21 out of 25 so far in 7 trips) was going to join Cherry Ridge in the spring, might join sooner, been going to thunder mountain, taking my boys gets expensive, but we good  fun and spend  time together. haven't shot a shotgun in the cold/ winter, or with gloves, sure it's different.

Dicks used to give $10 off $50 coupons on their receipt tapes.  I used to use them frequently to buy cases of shotshells - now, though, I refuse to buy anything from them.  They do not support your rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...