ChrisS

Shot my first clays yesterday. Thank you all!

27 minutes ago, W2MC said:

Dicks used to give $10 off $50 coupons on their receipt tapes.  I used to use them frequently to buy cases of shotshells - now, though, I refuse to buy anything from them.  They do not support your rights.

I have not visited Dick's in years and never will again!  Check our their latest admission on Fox News!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dicks-sporting-goods-ceo-says-company-destroyed-5-million-worth-of-weapons

55 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I have not visited Dick's in years and never will again!  Check our their latest admission on Fox News!

https://www.foxnews.com/us/dicks-sporting-goods-ceo-says-company-destroyed-5-million-worth-of-weapons

There’s an interesting debate on this. When it’s full retard cheap... buy

but ya they are what  they eat.

Next question for the Pro's

Still going and still enjoy it, starting to get cold and want to continue.

Cold hasn't bothered us yet, but want to be ready.  What gloves do you guys recommend? Or do you just keep hand warmers in your pocket.

Also any other winter gear that might be handy or needed.

22 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Cold hasn't bothered us yet, but want to be ready.  What gloves do you guys recommend? Or do you just keep hand warmers in your pocket.

Harden up! @Ray Ray and I huddled together for warmth. It was icing.

only gloves I’ve shot with are thin dirt bike gloves. Good warm boots is a must! Some say to buy winter boots 1/2 size big for da airspace. I subscribe to that theory 

41 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

I hate shooting with gloves on so I just put my hands in my pockets when they get cold. I was out hunting yesterday morning and it was 7°F up here, still did not wear gloves but I was only out for 2.5 hours. 

Get a pair (or a few pairs) of Mechanix Wear gloves.  The are extremely comfortable to shoot with.  I use them frequently, both in cold weather, and sometimes to keep my hands from getting beat up when I'm taking training classes. 

https://www.mechanix.com/us-en/men/tactical

Home Depot carries a glove called Firm Grip Extreme.  It's not a cold weather glove, but they are enough to take the edge off the cold.  They have a good tactile feel.  I use em at work doing landscaping and also at the range. 

Thin gloves for shooting, thick ones for standing around. I shoot winter trap at CJ and its fine to 20 degrees. Hope the clays are fragile in the cold! Some ammo sounds different during a long cold week in my truck box but hey, whatever. We have been to Red Wings 4x this year already, nothing better than walking the course in 50 degree weather. I like global warming if it lets me shoot more.

26 minutes ago, rifleman said:

Some ammo sounds different during a long cold week in my truck box but hey, whatever.

Cold ammo bangs less than warm ammo.  Snipers operating in areas where it is very cold use their body heat to keep ammo warm and predictable.

12 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

Cold ammo bangs less than warm ammo.  Snipers operating in areas where it is very cold use their body heat to keep ammo warm and predictable.

I've heard this as well and I've always wondered how big of a difference it really makes.

I've never served in the military, but in my mind's eye I've always pictured snipers as staying prone/motionless for long periods of time while waiting for a clean shot.  This would seem to negate the effects of previously warming up ammo as the rifle would presumably need to be cocked and locked well before a shot is made (thus allowing ammo to get to ambient tem anyway).

Maybe I'll throw some ammo in the freezer for a while before I go to the range and see if there's any difference over the chrono...

Shotgun Ammo: Cold Weather Robs Shotshell Power

A few things happen to shotshells in the cold. Powders don't generate quite as much velocity as they do in warmer weather. Slow powders of the kind used in heavy hunting loads lose more velocity than do the fast-burning powders used in target loads.

15 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

I know CZ is good overall.

What do you guts think of CZ Drake or Upland for clays?

Guy I know might be selling one.

Got to finger bang the CZ's at SHOT show this year - I do like the Drake and Upland - they feel nice, however they're a bit on the heavier side.  Fine for clays but for a field gun it's not as ideal.

23 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

I know CZ is good overall.

What do you guts think of CZ Drake or Upland for clays?

Guy I know might be selling one.

I have a CZ Sharp-Tail in 12 gauge that I've used several times for sporting clays with good results.

@Smokin .50 has what I believe is a CZ Drake in 20 gauge that has done very well for him.

3 hours ago, W2MC said:

I have a CZ Sharp-Tail in 12 gauge that I've used several times for sporting clays with good results.

@Smokin .50 has what I believe is a CZ Drake in 20 gauge that has done very well for him.

@W2MC I have a CZ RingNeck in 20 ga.  The Ringneck is discontinued, and they now call it a Sharp-Tail.  I'm bringing the CZ as a back-up for my Pedersoli 10 ga. percussion SxS muzzleloader!  Just got the possibles bag all set last night.  Today I was stuffin' the goody bags.  We got a sell-out:  30 pheasant hunters for Saturday.

It's gonna be a real BLAST & Emily Cutts is joining us!

~R