YankeeSC

Remove paint scuffs from a car

While pulling into my garage one night I got a little too close to the side and scuffed the body over the wheel well against the garage door exterior frame.  Seems to have just transferred some white paint to the black body, the surface doesn't appear damaged.  Is there some product I can get at Pep Boys or Auto Zone that will help remove that paint transfer?  How do I handle this?  I'm not a "car guy". :)

IMG_6362.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

Hire a detailer who knows what he is doing. Removing it without causing damage that wasn't there already involves a certain amount of knowledge and skill. Doing it right also involves the car being much cleaner than it currently is. It doesn't look like you are that inclined to baby your car's finish, so by the time you get the chemicals, tools, etc for what will be a one time fix, you will likely spend the same as paying someone skilled for a one time fix, and the odds of them doing it right are much better. 

Looks simple enough.

Go wash your car, and then just use a paper towel and cleaning detergent... that should come right off.

If you run your fingernail over it, do you feel any scratches in the paint/clear coat?  

Yes... I used to spend 8 hours detailing my Camaro... not an IROC... Z28. lol. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Borrow someone's dual action random orbital polisher and some compound. The D/A is much safer for people who don't know what they're doing.

I have one you could use but I'm not in Charleston, if that location is accurate

Agree, but that looks like simple paint transfer that will just wipe off. =P   

I also think we have a few detailers here too... 

1 hour ago, CMJeepster said:

If it's on the paint, try using a clay bar kit.  DON"T use it on plastic surfaces!

Actually, the clay bar is most definitely going to remove 99% of it.

First just wash it, then clay bar remaining.

I highly doubt you will even need to get a buffer/polisher at all.

43 minutes ago, silverado427 said:

Get a light duty compound or polish  that will come right off.

No reason to go that harsh.  It looks like paint transfer.  No reason to start taking off clear coat.

1. Water/Detergent and wipe it off.

2. Clay bar remaining.

IF there is anything left, then go down the buffer/polisher.

If you brushed up against something hard enough like a garage door frame and removed paint, the clear coat is definitely messed up. 

Clay bar is for embedded micro debris IN the clear coat.. not so much a layer of paint on top.. after using claybars for years... I have found them extremely limited in what they get off a cars paint surface. Your almost better off using a weak solvent to remove the paint, and getting someone to buff the clear coat. Honestly, if the paint was dry when it transferred, it probably will come right off with a standard hand car washing.