Mrs. Peel

BIG BAD DORIAN! Godspeed to our southernmost NJGF members...

I know it's always hard to predict a storm's impact a couple days in advance, but this puppy is shaping up to be a monster. I really hope it fizzles... there are some indicators it may hug the coast rather than move with a direct hit! Let's hope that's the case.

I know we have several folks who've relo'd to Florida in recent years. I trust you are all "prepper" types on at least some modest level? I mean, I just can't understand - in Florida of all places! - when I see residents running around like crazy people AFTER the stores have already run out of bottled water and the gasoline pumps have run dry! :facepalm:  I'm not a particularly well-prepared person, but ummm, if I lived in hurricane country?... yeah, I think that even I would have a decent stash of fresh drinking water, canned goods, and a few gallon+ cans of gasoline at all times. You really kind of need it down there. 

Anyway, this could be a big one - the satellite pictures are pretty impressive - and some models show the cone enveloping the entire state. So, batten down the hatches... and PLEASE BE SAFE!!!

2 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

I started my generator the other day

I asked my son, maybe we should load up a Uhaul full of generators, and head south, he's always looking to make a few buck on the side. Watching news footage of the stores down there, they've all be picked clean already.

I always wondered what people do with all the eggs, bread and milk they stock up with before a storm? :scratchhead:

Lets see what happens.  My parents are flying in from Vegas tomorrow.  Then driving to sebastian fl.   There home down there.  They cant win it seems.  Their one home was in punta gorda.  Hurricane charlie landed right on them.  They moved to the east.  Less hurricanes.  Not.  Moved to Palm Springs.  One year later.  Hurricane.  Now they built a house in sebastian. Hurricane headed straight for them.   And no.  They’re not in the witness protection program :shok:   They just like to spend my inheritance 

Hopefully the trend of the models since this afternoon where they have it getting closer to riding north off the east coast of Florida, will be how it goes.  Hopefully that doesn’t mean bad news for GA and SC.

http://www.myfoxhurricane.com/

Here is the 8am cone report for Sat. 08/31.  Looks like we here in Tampa Bay might just get off with a "warning..." and only minimal winds/flooding.  But it could still turn any which way, and we all have to be vigilant.  If it continues along the current trend, it's heading right for Beaufort, SC. That might be bad for anyone along the coast from SE Georgia (where my Aunt and cousin are) to where they want to EVAC if need be.    Here's hoping...

090017_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

2 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

But it could still turn any which way,

I think that's a big issue with these extended forecasts. These storms are so far out, anything is possible, but they stoke fear in so many people so early, then when the storm misses them, the next time they might not heed any warnings, kinda like the "Boy who cried wolf".

Yes, we all need to be prepared, but if it tracks off the coast, they'll be some people pissed that they made major preparations for nothing.

In other news, Task Force One just sent a team of 80 and K9s, and a ton of equipment, to Florida to assist for two weeks.

I never understood why anyone would need to go to the store or buy a generator immediately before a hurricane after living down here all these years. I always have an untouched case of water purchased mid summer and a dozen cans of food minimum just sitting in the pantry. Generator purchased the first Black Friday I moved back. It's nothing special but enough to keep the fridge going. I filled a gas can this morning now that NC will get hit. 

I hope you all in Florida are prepared. They are getting hit at full power and a lot of home prep is required for hurricanes like this. Stay safe.

I filled my 3 gas cans for the season a few weeks ago and have about 5 cases of water. We drink a lot of bottled water so I buy them regularly. Let myself get caught short 2 years ago with Irma, won't do that again. Good amount of food and full tank. Ran generator today.

Local store shelves were emptied on Thu, crazy, but stores were getting deliveries to replace already.

Luckily, where I live, with the last 2, Mathew in 2016 and Irma in 2017, we never lost power and no damage. Hoping for the same this time.

Be safe other Floridians, Georgians and South Carolinians.

Same, I always keep 3 cases of water rotated in the closet anyway. There is always construction going on and you never know when they may nick a water main.  Same for power. I have 3 propane tanks I rotate for my grill. My inverter runs about 20 hours per tank. Plenty of power for the fridge, window ac, tv, and swap plugs for microwave etc.  The propane doesn’t go bad, doesn’t gum up the genny, burns clean, runs longer than that micro sized gas tank on the inverter. 

On 9/1/2019 at 10:56 AM, SW9racer said:

Same, I always keep 3 cases of water rotated in the closet anyway. There is always construction going on and you never know when they may nick a water main.  Same for power. I have 3 propane tanks I rotate for my grill. My inverter runs about 20 hours per tank. Plenty of power for the fridge, window ac, tv, and swap plugs for microwave etc.  The propane doesn’t go bad, doesn’t gum up the genny, burns clean, runs longer than that micro sized gas tank on the inverter. 

Replaced my old genny with an 11kw Generac.  $2700 with switch gear.  Replacement of  genny  and switch gear 6 hours and I had to run 65' of signal wire in pipe.  I'm old and slow.  Propane baby!!!