SW9racer

New Ford Ranger any good?

41 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

Does anyone have hands on experience with the new Ford Ranger pickup?  Was going with a Tacoma in a few months, but if this is nice like the f150 only smaller, could be a better choice?

I don’t know how they compare with the Tacoma or F150 but I test drove one a while ago and it was pretty nice.  I had a 2001 Ranger and I’d say the new ones are better. 

I read an article that there’s actually a class action lawsuit out there because the advertised gas mileage is way off, i think people were getting 10 miles to the gallon less or something like that. Nice looking truck though

I have had my eye on it. 

I got to test sit a few along with pretty much every other pickup at the NY auto show. 

The interior is comfy but compact. 

I've seen the complaints about fuel economy. but looking through fuelly, I'm going to guess there are people driving it that this is their first trubo charged ride. If you decide it isn't fast enough and keep in in the boost hard out of frustration or you want that little bit more, that COSTS at the pump. Dearly. I'm going to guess that physics tax is going to be higher on turbo engine set up to cope with a steady diet of 87 octane. 

I say this as someone who has gotten 11mpg out of a tank of gas on a 3400lb, 250hp turbo 4 sedan. I'm not saying it wasn't fun, but that number doesn't mean the EPA numbers were a total lie. EPA sticker said 21/25, which was optimistic. GRannying that thing, I could get 18.3/23 best. 

I’m a 6ft bear. It is not cramped and I’m comfy. Gas mileage is on par with sticker. I average about 20mpg around town and more on open road. Def better than my 2016 F150. Very smooth ride too.

The FX is an off road package. Drive it like a loon and you will not get the mpg. Even with the mountains around here I do good because while going up puts a slight damper on the mpg, you get it back going down. 

Believe what you want. This not hearsay. I own one. 

4 hours ago, SW9racer said:

Very nice!  Did you compare it against the Tacoma?  What did you like better about it? Thanks

Thanks and no. I try to stay away from non US stuff. My last several vehicles were Ford and still are. My wife has a 2017 Escape and gets fantastic mileage. I have no complaints with Fords.

4 hours ago, JMich3 said:

I read an article that there’s actually a class action lawsuit out there because the advertised gas mileage is way off, i think people were getting 10 miles to the gallon less or something like that. Nice looking truck though

Sounds like bs. I cant see a small engine getting only 10mpg. I had a Dodge V10 Ram dually and got 10mpg.

Sorry i didn’t make that clear enough. It’s not getting 10 mpg. I don’t know the actual numbers but Ford says it gets 27 ( made that number up) but people are actually getting 17 or something along those lines. I read the article about 6 weeks ago so the details are fuzzy in my head

6 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Sounds like bs. I cant see a small engine getting only 10mpg. I had a Dodge V10 Ram dually and got 10mpg.

It's the magic of turbo charging. Most turbo setups, prior to ending all the fun, start dumping a TON of gas to use it to cool off the charge. 

There's lots of people who got REALLLY bad mileage out of the escape your wife liked because they would just keep smashing the pedal anytime their not fast car wasn't as fast as they thought it should be. And you start dumping gas just to keep it from eating itself. 

This is why I laugh to myself when I see people pushing turbos to save gas.. yeah right. Most drivers don't know how their car works and will not see good mileage from a turbo engine. 

• Agree 1

12 minutes ago, bhunted said:

I’m a 6ft bear. It is not cramped and I’m comfy.

I believe you. I'm 6'7" so when I say compact and comfy it doesn't necessarily mean the same thing to others. 

I also run into a lot of ~6ft people that seem to think things are cramped when they aren't.  My current ride I can wear a hat and get my legs under the steering wheel. That's luxury to me. Then I hear a bunch of 5'10" people whining they don't fit and I have to ask what they hell they are doing while driving a car. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

It's the magic of turbo charging. Most turbo setups, prior to ending all the fun, start dumping a TON of gas to use it to cool off the charge. 

There's lots of people who got REALLLY bad mileage out of the escape your wife liked because they would just keep smashing the pedal anytime their not fast car wasn't as fast as they thought it should be. And you start dumping gas just to keep it from eating itself. 

This is why I laugh to myself when I see people pushing turbos to save gas.. yeah right. Most drivers don't know how their car works and will not see good mileage from a turbo engine. 

Neither of our vehicles say anything about turbo. Justs lists as a 2.3L Ecoboost... If they come ours aren't one of them. :)

Here is the mpg part of the window sticker....

mpg.jpg

1 hour ago, bhunted said:

Neither of our vehicles say anything about turbo. Justs lists as a 2.3L Ecoboost... If they come ours aren't one of them. :)

Here is the mpg part of the window sticker....

mpg.jpg

You know what puts the boost in a 2.3L ecoboost engine? Hint: it's a twin scroll turbocharger.  That aint a giant transmission cooler in front of the radiator. 

The escape is available with a 1.3l ecoboost, a 2.0 liter ecoboost, and a 2.5L 4. SO you might have dodged it there. But most of the folks who want good mileage bought the 1.3 as it has the best numebrs. UNtil you realize it's slow, don't want slow, and mash the throttle through the floorboards and it dumps fuel at 100% duty cycle on the injectors to avoid detonation and pre-ignition. 

Wasn’t trying to poo poo your truck. She is a beauty, wish i could afford one too. One in college and one in private high school. I probably have at least 4 more years till a new truck will be in my driveway! Good luck with her!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, raz-0 said:

You know what puts the boost in a 2.3L ecoboost engine? Hint: it's a twin scroll turbocharger.  That aint a giant transmission cooler in front of the radiator. 

The escape is available with a 1.3l ecoboost, a 2.0 liter ecoboost, and a 2.5L 4. SO you might have dodged it there. But most of the folks who want good mileage bought the 1.3 as it has the best numebrs. UNtil you realize it's slow, don't want slow, and mash the throttle through the floorboards and it dumps fuel at 100% duty cycle on the injectors to avoid detonation and pre-ignition. 

What, they don't like to say turbo anymore? lol....
Either way, its good enuff and has some kick. Escape, I forget what size but it kicks some butt too. Neither one of us require a lot of kick. I moved out here to slow down and live longer....

I think the aluminum bodies help too. :) Now you're going to make me look in front of radiator... lol.

• Agree 1

Don’t know about the Ranger, but just picked up a new Colorado... very happy with it. Think this is week three, and have 2,600 miles on it. Mainly from the move to Maine.

Towed a 6’ x 12’ U-Haul trailer... was nothing except crappy gas mileage (was a sail behind the truck). When I did an unloaded trip without the trailer, was in the upper 20s for mileage. And that was in the 80 range. V6... didn’t want diesel headaches up here with the cold.

Does exactly what I want it to do, and isn’t so expensive that I was strapped for a payment. Also got the crew cab with “long” bed. Got to toss on splash guards, and have floor mats and a console vault on the way.

There were issues with the transmissions up until build dates of March 2019. Mine was built in June. Even if you get an older one, they will do a transmission fluid change to resolve the issues.