M1152

long gun / new law private sale question

Thinking about selling a long gun so can someone provide a quick overview of impact of new law? I assume the buyer is treated like buying new at retail store but I don’t know how it plays out for the seller?

if I want to sell a long gun would it be two transfer fees (one in and one out) to an FFL or just one fee?  In other words would both seller & buyer pay transfer fees or is it just the buyer only that gets dinged for the fee? Thanks in advance.

Should be one fee to whoever agrees to pay.

As a seller, I'd request full payment for item up front and they pay the fee.

As a buyer, I'd request to do the background check prior to paying and ask that the seller pay the fee.

As a dealer, I don't care who pays as long as it is up front.

• Thanks 1

What's the consensus?  From here it seems to be that the transfer fee is on the buyer and generally their choice of their to transfer.  

There are a few posts I saw here where the seller offered to include transfer in their price but at their choice of FFL OR contribute a portion towards transfer.

Personally, I have paid anytime being the buyer, but how much the transfer cost does effect my offer on firearm.

Transfer cost are anywhere from $40-$80. That price for me, gets calculated into what I’m willing to spend on the item. 

4 hours ago, Maksim said:

What's the consensus?  From here it seems to be that the transfer fee is on the buyer and generally their choice of their to transfer.  

There are a few posts I saw here where the seller offered to include transfer in their price but at their choice of FFL OR contribute a portion towards transfer.

I’ve seen similar post as well but this being NJ and my past transactions were are "inbound" only that's why I'd asked for the clarification which PK90 answered. To your point if a seller is offering to pay the transfer fee then obviously they already have the fee baked into the final price. I have a Saiga S223 NIB that I’m on the fence about off-loading so I could purchase a 1911. Considering what used & new sagias are going for on GunBroker $50 either way isn’t going to make anyone blink if/when I decide to sell it.

On 9/9/2019 at 6:36 AM, 0Jeep4 said:

Personally, I have paid anytime being the buyer, but how much the transfer cost does effect my offer on firearm.

Transfer cost are anywhere from $40-$80. That price for me, gets calculated into what I’m willing to spend on the item. 

Same

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, father-of-three said:

As a buyer,  I have always paid the transfer fee.  It is frustrating that the transfer fee can be as high as $80 in New Jersey.

Yes, you definitely need to shop around.

I just did a transfer at Ramsey outdoor and it was $35.  Not horrible.

NICS is always on the buyer.  Transfer fee, well, it's the seller transferring and the buyer receiving.  The buyer can go to a gun shop and buy any new or used rifle without paying a transfer fee.  I think the transfer fee should be split, up to $25/ea.  Basically, the max FFL fee that can be split is $50.

The FFL fee discourages buyers, it's an added cost over the value of the item.  Murphy has engineered the private seller market so that both the buyer and seller will loose money in one way or another.

15 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

The FFL fee discourages buyers, it's an added cost over the value of the item.  Murphy has engineered the private seller market so that both the buyer and seller will loose money in one way or another.

Nah. I suspect long term it just means more guns in NJ. Because now rather than buy your used gun, it will more often make sense for me to just buy new. You have trouble selling your gun or have to take too big a hit, you will just keep it instead. The net result should be more guns unless it discourages new purchases altogether, which I don't really see being the case. New owners were never the prime demographic of face to face sales from what I can tell. 

As long as the family members meet the exemption requirements listed on SP-634

https://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/PL18/36_.HTM

"n.    For the purposes of this section, “immediate family” means a spouse, domestic partner as defined in section 3 of P.L.2003, c.246 (C.26:8A-3), partner in a civil union couple as defined in section 2 of P.L.2006, c.103 (C.37:1-29), parent, stepparent, grandparent, sibling, stepsibling, child, stepchild, and grandchild, as related by blood or by law."

sp-634_20180914.pdf

2 hours ago, ChrisJM981 said:

Can sales between family members still utilize a C.O.E.?

Yes. Immediate family members (not second cousins) can still transfer face to face without a NICS like in the good ole days. Long guns need COE with matching DL and FPID. Handguns need P2P.

26 minutes ago, dajonga said:

Yes. Immediate family members (not second cousins) can still transfer face to face without a NICS like in the good ole days. Long guns need COE with matching DL and FPID. Handguns need P2P.

do handguns need a nics or ffl transfer amoungst immediate family members?

Specifically, i know someone who's mother inherited a pistol through the death of her husband. The son would be the logical one to inherit the pistol, but with no will specifiying that, the mother became the legal owner.  Can the mother (with no FID or paperwork) gift the pistol to a son who has a valid P2P?

1 hour ago, eyeinstine said:

do handguns need a nics or ffl transfer amoungst immediate family members?

Specifically, i know someone who's mother inherited a pistol through the death of her husband. The son would be the logical one to inherit the pistol, but with no will specifiying that, the mother became the legal owner.  Can the mother (with no FID or paperwork) gift the pistol to a son who has a valid P2P?

Yes she can.