JMich3

Any Old Bridge members?

I want to join a range , preferably one with more than just an indoor range. I like what I’m reading about Old Bridge, just curious what the members think of the place. How’s the traffic around there in the weekends? Is it tough to get to?

It's super easy to get to, your car might get a little dirty though. It's a great range. Some people complain about pretty much every weekend having a match but there must be something wrong with them. 

This Saturday is knock down steel. You don't have to be a member to shoot any of the matches. You should come out and shoot with us. 

If you need anything let me know 

If I’m not working Saturday I’ll definitely come down, even if i just spectate. Ive been interested in the steel matches and even bought myself a belt and a holster. I’m not worried about my car getting dirty, lol. Louu I’ll let you know if I’m coming down, we could meet up. Thanks

7 hours ago, fishnut said:

I'm pretty sure @Smokin .50 is a member 

Yes I am indeed @fishnut!  I'm also a former member of the Board of Trustees and still a discipline co-chair & match director of the PPC league.

8 hours ago, JMich3 said:

I want to join a range , preferably one with more than just an indoor range. I like what I’m reading about Old Bridge, just curious what the members think of the place. How’s the traffic around there in the weekends? Is it tough to get to?

I've been a member for approx. 20+ years.  I love it!  I'm a former trustee & current discipline co-chair and match director of the PPC hand gun league.  The outdoor range is easy to get to, and plenty of places to stop for brunch-lunch-dinner on Rt. 516 alone.

We're a club that is comprised of various shooting leagues.  Knockdown Steel is just ONE of the many leagues Old Bridge runs.  If all your shooting has been standing in a port, you're in for a real eye-opener, lol!

You'll have a ton of FUN at our range!  Be safe & enjoy!

Rosey

• Thanks 1

And the BONUS, as I understand, is that with an indoor range (separate location from the outdoor range) accessible 24/7, you now have a legitimate reason to transport handguns in your trunk like the rest of us can do with long guns. (unloaded, of course)

Worth the price of membership if you live anywhere in the general area just for the 24/7 indoor access, imho.

18 minutes ago, njJoniGuy said:

And the BONUS, as I understand, is that with an indoor range (separate location from the outdoor range) accessible 24/7, you now have a legitimate reason to transport handguns in your trunk like the rest of us can do with long guns. (unloaded, of course)

Worth the price of membership if you live anywhere in the general area just for the 24/7 indoor access, imho.

Is that the same for USANA's indoor range?

7 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Is that the same for USANA's indoor range?

If secured (card-key, for example) access to the indoor range is available 24/7, then yes, it would be, I believe.

No reason why you could not always be coming from or going to the range!

Weekends are tough from 9-4 at the outdoor range.  There is usually at least 1 match going on, on any given weekend day.  Check the link below for the range calendar.

http://obrpc.org/calMonthBlock.html

But if you go later, or during the week you can usually get a pit with no wait for as long as you'd like.

Edited to add a better calendar link.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

1 hour ago, PeteF said:

Weekends are tough from 9-4 at the outdoor range.  There is usually at least 1 match going on, on any given weekend day.  Check the link below for the range calendar.

http://obrpc.org/calMonthBlock.html

But if you go later, or during the week you can usually get a pit with no wait for as long as you'd like.

Edited to add a better calendar link.

@JMich3 the above^^^ is true, HOWEVER, careful planning on your part, combined with a multi-discipline approach to non-league shooting AFTER the leagues give up their real estate, will result in a thoroughly ENJOYABLE experience for you, your family and your guests.  The trick is to memorize the calendar, attend the matches to learn WHY the club members enjoy them so much (bring your guest(s) to shoot the leagues while on Probation---non members are allowed to shoot the leagues!), look at your watch and pay attention to your situational awareness as far as what happens WHEN.  For example:

On the 1st Sunday of the month, Shotgun runs a match on the shotgun field, Static Steel runs their match in pits in the Chrono pit and pits 1-5 and often parks cars in pit #6, and Black Powder runs their match in pit #7 (the 100 yard range).  So if you're not there to shoot those 3 leagues, you go home bent outta shape.  So go to church with the wife & kids, take the family to a Sunday brunch, then show-up with a shotgun & ammo, thrower & clay birds and start THERE since that league is usually done before Noon.  Black Powder is usually done by 1:30-ish (depending upon weather---really nice weather brings extra shooters/relays--which take a little longer) and Static Steel is usually last between 2:30 - 3:30pm.  Then the outdoor range BECOMES A GHOST TOWN!  In the summer you have 5-7 hours of Ghost Town until dusk!

So you can start at Noon with yer scattergun, move over to the 100 yard pit at 1:30-ish or so with rifles, and claim any of the pistol pits after the Steel League packs their steel plates & drives them into their trailers.  Move from one to the other to the next, easy-peasey!  It's just a matter of getting used to what goes on around you :) .  In 20+ years with the club I've shown-up at every league the club has,  both indoors & outside, so I know what to expect.

NOTE:

If you're the type of shooter that thinks they know it all, can't read a published calendar, and show up at 9am to the outdoor range on a 1st or 3rd Sunday (for instance), and then get all pissy because the leagues are running THREE disciplines SIMULTANEOUSLY, then do yourself a favor and DON'T JOIN! 

If on the other hand, you can enjoy learning how to shoot BETTER, QUICKER, SAFER and LEARN THINGS you don't yet know through osmosis, you'll be a lifelong member of one of the nicest clubs in NJ!  When I started with the club 20 years ago, "I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW!"...and I'm STILL learning from others, making new friends in the shooting community, running matches (PPC is this Friday night at the indoor range---non members are just $20 American!) and promoting the 2nd Amendment cause.

Hope to see you around the ranges!  Come over & say hello.  

Rosey

PPC League Co-Chair & Match Director

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

@JMich3 the above^^^ is true, HOWEVER, careful planning on your part, combined with a multi-discipline approach to non-league shooting AFTER the leagues give up their real estate, will result in a thoroughly ENJOYABLE experience for you, your family and your guests.  The trick is to memorize the calendar, attend the matches to learn WHY the club members enjoy them so much (bring your guest(s) to shoot the leagues while on Probation---non members are allowed to shoot the leagues!), look at your watch and pay attention to your situational awareness as far as what happens WHEN.  For example:

On the 1st Sunday of the month, Shotgun runs a match on the shotgun field, Static Steel runs their match in pits in the Chrono pit and pits 1-5 and often parks cars in pit #6, and Black Powder runs their match in pit #7 (the 100 yard range).  So if you're not there to shoot those 3 leagues, you go home bent outta shape.  So go to church with the wife & kids, take the family to a Sunday brunch, then show-up with a shotgun & ammo, thrower & clay birds and start THERE since that league is usually done before Noon.  Black Powder is usually done by 1:30-ish (depending upon weather---really nice weather brings extra shooters/relays--which take a little longer) and Static Steel is usually last between 2:30 - 3:30pm.  Then the outdoor range BECOMES A GHOST TOWN!  In the summer you have 5-7 hours of Ghost Town until dusk!

So you can start at Noon with yer scattergun, move over to the 100 yard pit at 1:30-ish or so with rifles, and claim any of the pistol pits after the Steel League packs their steel plates & drives them into their trailers.  Move from one to the other to the next, easy-peasey!  It's just a matter of getting used to what goes on around you :) .  In 20+ years with the club I've shown-up at every league the club has,  both indoors & outside, so I know what to expect.

NOTE:

If you're the type of shooter that thinks they know it all, can't read a published calendar, and show up at 9am to the outdoor range on a 1st or 3rd Sunday (for instance), and then get all pissy because the leagues are running THREE disciplines SIMULTANEOUSLY, then do yourself a favor and DON'T JOIN! 

If on the other hand, you can enjoy learning how to shoot BETTER, QUICKER, SAFER and LEARN THINGS you don't yet know through osmosis, you'll be a lifelong member of one of the nicest clubs in NJ!  When I started with the club 20 years ago, "I DIDN'T KNOW WHAT I DIDN'T KNOW!"...and I'm STILL learning from others, making new friends in the shooting community, running matches (PPC is this Friday night at the indoor range---non members are just $20 American!) and promoting the 2nd Amendment cause.

Hope to see you around the ranges!  Come over & say hello.  

Rosey

PPC League Co-Chair & Match Director

One of my favorite quotes is “ I don’t know enough to know what i don’t know” i am open minded and would love to do all different types of shooting. I’ll be down to check the club out as soon as i can

16 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

One of my favorite quotes is “ I don’t know enough to know what i don’t know” i am open minded and would love to do all different types of shooting. I’ll be down to check the club out as soon as i can

^^^THAT's the spirit!  You'll do FINE!  Remember this Sunday is the 3rd Sunday.  Outdoor range will have shotgun, static steel & black powder leagues all cookin' at once, startin' at 9am.  The gate is OPEN, so come take a peek if ya can :) 

Rosey

• Thanks 1

Went down this morning and checked out the range. Got to watch some of the steel matches too. People were friendly range seams pretty cool. I have to find a Sunday when i can go shoot steel! It only took me 25 minutes to get there so that was a pleasant surprise. One guy there said the indoor range isn’t that great, anyone have input on that?

On 9/15/2019 at 12:08 PM, JMich3 said:

Went down this morning and checked out the range. Got to watch some of the steel matches too. People were friendly range seams pretty cool. I have to find a Sunday when i can go shoot steel! It only took me 25 minutes to get there so that was a pleasant surprise. One guy there said the indoor range isn’t that great, anyone have input on that?

The indoor range is serviceable. It's nicer than the indoor portions of any other range I know of in NJ with an outdoor range. It's just not set up like a pay by the hour public range. 

• Agree 1

The indoor range is just that, a simple range open 24/7.   There are 8, 25yd shooting lanes(IIRC).  There are no automated target holders etc.  You wait till a cease fire, if there are more than 1 shooter (often the range is yours alone)  Set your target stands (you can set them closer than 25 yds,  but targets need to be set at the proper height so that bullets hit the backstop), come back to the firing line and shoot till your hearts content.   No, it does not have all the latest wiz bangs, but a 24/7 access, clean range, where you know the people around you are not a bunch of dopes that have no idea what safety is, is a great thing.  I primarily use the outdoor range as IMO there is nothing like outdoor fresh air range.  But when the hankering to shoot comes up, on a day with lousy weather the Indoor is the place to go,

As an FYI the Indoor range is NOT rated for all handgun calibers and most rifles are a no go.

A list of approved calibers at the Indoor range

IndoorRangeAmmo.png

Here is a video from one of the indoor matches,  Not mine.

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 12:08 PM, JMich3 said:

Glad you enjoyed the outdoor range.  You'll enjoy the indoor even though you can't use black powder, a scattergun or rifle calibers.  Pistol caliber carbines (9, .40 & .45) are fine, and any .22LR platform.  We have a SAFE TABLE.  Holster draw is allowed.  Don't practice above your skill level.  Clean up after yourself, turn-off lights & ventilation system.  D-Lead soap is provided.  Restrooms are clean.  Use the meeting room for an organized pizza party w/ members & guests (see guest policy) if you so desire or perhaps just a sammich by yourself, just clean-up after yourself.  YOU are your own RO.  Don't shoot the walls, floor or ceiling, as CCTV will capture it all.  Run by members FOR members.  Follow the rules, have fun & BE SAFE!

Check the League calendar & pound on the door if there's cars in the parking lot.  Bring eyes & ears, a sammich & coffee from Wawa just up the road.  Ask to WATCH because you're considering joining.  Learn thru osmosis.  Enter into discussions.  ASK questions.  LEARN THINGS!

Then show-up on the 2nd Sunday for the Sign-Up & Safety Check at 8:45am SHARP.  Bring a checkbook or CASH (no cards accepted), a handgun of a caliber on the allowed list, a box of ammo, your mags, eyes & ears.

It's literally THAT easy!

Rosey

• Like 2
  • Agree 1