SJG

Murphy at It Again with Executive Order

New Jersey’s Democratic governor, Phil Murphy, is expected to sign an executive order Tuesday that will leverage the state’s purchasing power to coerce gun retailers, manufacturers, and financial institutions to comply with a more stringent gun-control regime.

Under the executive order, the state, which purchases an estimated $70 million in firearms and related equipment annually, will refuse to do business with gun manufacturers and retailers that lack policies that deny guns to people with a history of mental illness or domestic abuse, the New York Times first reported. Retailers that wish to keep the state’s business will be required to “prevent, detect and screen for the transfer of firearms to straw purchasers or firearm traffickers.”

Murphy’s order will also deny the roughly $1 billion in financial-transaction fees the state pays annually to banks that have relationships with gun manufacturers and retailers that adhere to permissive policies.

New Jersey already has strict gun-control laws in place that require retailers to perform background checks, but the new policy will apply to out-of-state companies that are not bound by New Jersey laws.

Assume a manufacturer has a policy that says: Our firearms should not be sold to people with a history of mental illness or domestic abuse. So what? They do not have the responsibility under the law to transfer these firearms anyway. I think he is hoping they will simply get pissed off and say, screw you, we will not sell our firearms to any retailer in the State.

Question:Are  all firearm sales to the State or to any other law enforcement agency in the State direct or does a FFL still have to do the transfer? If direct, the manufacturers  should say, screw NJ, we will not sell to any law enforcement agency in NJ

Just because a person has a history of mental illness does not preclude that person from purchasing a firearm so long as the person does not presently suffer from a mental illness and is of sound mind, anyway. Right?

I believe the NRA has sued NY over a similar policy involving banks that are nothing more than extortion. Hopefully once this executive order takes hold, NJ will be host to a similar suit

Just how are retailers  that wish to keep the state’s business going to “prevent, detect and screen for the transfer of firearms to straw purchasers or firearm traffickers.” Other than the forms a purchaser has to sign at the time of transfer and a background check and barring a situation where someone directly says they are purchasing for someone else or for a firearm trafficker,(what idiot would disclose that) what are they suppose to do? The retailers should all agree to fuck the State and refuse to do business with the State. Exactly who are the retailers that do business with the State in selling the State firearms?? Not sure if they bid or if this info is available via an OPRA request.

What does this even mean?  Retailers that sell direct to consumers already have to be FFL’s and follow those processes. Manufacturers don’t sell direct so they’re not involved in background checks. And financial institutions?  That’s just State-funded extortion. 

• Agree 1

>> The Commissioner of Banking and Insurance, within 30 days, is instructed to take all appropriate action within her authority to prohibit and/or limit the sale, procurement, marketing, or distribution of insurance products that may serve to encourage the improper use of firearms. <<

Aimed at Law Shield and the like?  Why?  He wants to make sure no one will ever try to defend themselves?  They do indeed want us dead.

How do they encourage the improper use of firearms? Just because they provide insurance does not mean they encourage the improper use of firearms? If anything they encourage the safe use of firearms.  Their products are purchased by responsible gun owners. Irresponsible gun owners do not bother to purchase these products. More bullshit.

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Malsua said:

Aimed at Law Shield and the like?  Why?  He wants to make sure no one will ever try to defend themselves?  They do indeed want us dead.

This is part of “The Narrative” - This branch of “The Narrative” says that insurance products like the NRA’s former carry guard and law shield “embolden” gun owners/carriers to shoot people and not fear the consequences.

BTW, US Law Shield (I’m a member) is having a seminar this Friday in Monmouth County.  I’m going because I have a couple of specific questions to ask there, but I bet they’ll be talking about this too.

9 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

This is part of “The Narrative” - This branch of “The Narrative” says that insurance products like the NRA’s former carry guard and law shield “embolden” gun owners/carriers to shoot people and not fear the consequences.

BTW, US Law Shield (I’m a member) is having a seminar this Friday in Monmouth County.  I’m going because I have a couple of specific questions to ask there, but I bet they’ll be talking about this too.

Last I checked and reviewed a law shield policy, it is junk. The key on these cases are experts and I believe the law shield policy does not cover expert fees.

8 minutes ago, this_is_nascar said:

What I want to know is why the hell is NJ spending $70m annually on firearms?

Got point, either the article contains an erroneous amount or the State of NJ is wasting money, would be interesting to find out either way

3 minutes ago, SJG said:

either the article contains an erroneous amount or the State of NJ is wasting money

Or both.   I'm betting that the NY Times article is wrong, AND the State of NJ is wasting money.

I kind of assume that both of those are the case, whatever the issue happens to be.

12 minutes ago, SJG said:

Last I checked and reviewed a law shield policy, it is junk. The key on these cases are experts and I believe the law shield policy does not cover expert fees.

Correct, no expert fees covered, except in limited states for an extra amount.

However, I have been in a civil trial as a plaintiff (not for a firearm issue) and have had to pay for an expert witness - the witness fee was probably 10% of the total attorney fees.

I’ll take coverage of attorney fees over witness fees any day of the week.

1 hour ago, SJG said:

Retailers that wish to keep the state’s business will be required to “prevent, detect and screen for the transfer of firearms to straw purchasers or firearm traffickers.”

Isn't this already an FFL requirement at purchase time?  Or is this like the bartender being sued for the drunk driver?

As an attorney, I can tell you that the Law Shield Policy is Fair at Best --better than nothing. I do not represent any plan and do not make any money for recommending any plan. The concept of " insurance" in this area is really poor. For a non insurance plan that affords much better benefits check out CCW Safe. It is not an insurance product and does not have the constraints an insurance plan does. It is simply a contractual agreement that will cover attorney fees and expert fees. The reality is that if experts are needed you want multiple experts, not one and expert fees for multiple experts will be much more than 10% of what an attorney fee is.

1 hour ago, BobA said:

Isn't this already an FFL requirement at purchase time?  Or is this like the bartender being sued for the drunk driver?

My guess it has to do with online retailers that both sell guns and components. The State probably has accounts with the same places we buy online.

1 minute ago, Sniper said:

My guess it has to do with online retailers that both sell guns and components. The State probably has accounts with the same places we buy online.

As far as an online purchase, it has to go to an FFL anyway.  I think he thinks he can hold an FFL responsible for that gun's destiny.  He's going after them and anyone that finances the gun world.  Again he's not coming after us so he can continue the lie that he believes in our gun ownership and just wants common sense laws.  POS! 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BobA said:

Again he's not coming after us

Just going after the companies that supply us parts, accessories, uppers, etc...., ammo is next...

7 minutes ago, BobA said:

As far as an online purchase, it has to go to an FFL anyway.

The Communists ignore that FACT, and think any online supplier ships complete guns right to your doorstep.

8 minutes ago, BobA said:

I think he thinks he can hold an FFL responsible for that gun's destiny.  He's going after them and anyone that finances the gun world.

That's what it looks like. I wonder if he'll hold Ford responsible for the next DWI death too??

As we all know, the State must have some contracts where older firearms are traded in and replaced with newer ones/models. The traded in  firearms are sold in the secondary market and one way or another the State benefits from this arrangement. Not sure if these traded in firearms and sold exclusively in NJ or in other States as well, some of which probably have the loose gun laws that Murphy complains about but I suspect many are sold out of State. So the State of N.J. is really in the gun business, the very business Murphy complains about. Also in the HI-Cap mag business because these used law enforcement pistols are 15 rounders and those guns are probably turned in with those Hi-Caps and make there way to States he complains about that permit Hi-Cap mags

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, this_is_nascar said:

What I want to know is why the hell is NJ spending $70m annually on firearms?

I heard that's part of Murphy's welfare program, that he is providing them at no cost to people in inner cities who can't afford them.  :D

33 minutes ago, Sniper said:

That's what it looks like. I wonder if he'll hold Ford responsible for the next DWI death too??

That was tried years ago.  "My Aunt Sophie is dead because the car you built wasn't safe at 100mph."  Just like now with suing the drug companies and the gun manufacturers. Only it was already upheld he can't sue them. So he'll try the next best thing - the retailers. 

Approximately 3,053 State Troopers in NJ. They use the Sig P229 Enhanced Elite. At a retail price of $1, 079 per pistol, that would be a cost of 3.3 Million dollars.  Each trooper could get a new one every single month and still have 30 some million left for ammo!

I think it's supposed to be 7 million and someone screwed up the story and said 70 million.

3 hours ago, SJG said:

How do they encourage the improper use of firearms? Just because they provide insurance does not mean they encourage the improper use of firearms? If anything they encourage the safe use of firearms.  Their products are purchased by responsible gun owners. Irresponsible gun owners do not bother to purchase these products. More bullshit.

I thought it was already prohibited for an insurance company to cover an illegal act.  

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I think it's supposed to be 7 million and someone screwed up the story and said 70 million.

It says it includes townships that buy through the state program as well as ammo and other supplies.  But I wonder what other perks.  I wonder if its not time for the companies to leak about the golf trips and the like the top brass and politicians get when the go on the "business trips" to the gun makers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr.Stu said:

Wouldn't it be great if none of the State's suppliers sent in a response. Murphy will have effectively made it illegal for the State to buy arms and ammo.

Indeed...

I would add.... that it would be interesting if ALL suppliers refused to sell firearms and associated component/ammo to the state of NJ.

”Sorry......we’re closed.”

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

actually, I would like to know what gun companies are selling product to NJ government agencies, so I know who to never buy from again.

THAT'S how we put a stop to this shit.  A moderately successful nationwide boycott of vendors selling firearms related goods to the state would probably convince them to stop selling to the state, thereby denying them the enforcement tools needed to enact their plans.  Yes, it would be painful for those honest persons who serve, but perhaps they'll finally start putting their own pressures on to bring an end to this shit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, SJG said:

Just how are retailers  that wish to keep the state’s business going to “prevent, detect and screen for the transfer of firearms to straw purchasers or firearm traffickers.”

Make people pinky swear they won't do those things?