EngineerJet

Build guide for non-nfa?

On 12/23/2021 at 12:08 PM, NJSUX said:

Couldnt you go with shorter than a 10.5 barrel if you used a noveske flaming pig which is 3.25 inches long and if you pin and weld it?

I believe so. That would essentially be a 13.75 inch barrel.

Which would put you over the 26 inch minimum requirement. 

11 minutes ago, JAM3 said:

I believe so. That would essentially be a 13.75 inch barrel.

Which would put you over the 26 inch minimum requirement. 

Actually, when you account for the threaded section of the muzzle device, I think you would effectively be at 13.25” OAL for the barrel. 
Still, GTG for the 26” minimum. 

4 hours ago, JAM3 said:

So an 8.5in barrel, 3.5in linear comp and a Vltor Buffer system...hmmm

But why? More barrel is actually useful - more useful than a 3.5” comp on a 5.56 gun anyway. 

If you have to have a certain length up front to make the minimum for an SBF, you’re better off having as much barrel as possible to get the best performance from your ammo.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

But why? More barrel is actually useful - more useful than a 3.5” comp on a 5.56 gun anyway. 

If you have to have a certain length up front to make the minimum for an SBF, you’re better off having as much barrel as possible to get the best performance from your ammo.

Maybe it's all about the muzzle flash - in which case make it an 8" .308.

• Haha 1

If you want to go that short of a barrel,  apply for an AOW stamp and keep it short. No real reason to buy that length barrel just to make it longer with a huge comp on the end. 

Or are you just trying to go for that tucked look? 

What caliber are you using? 

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

I'm in NJ, so.....

Anyway,, I was just thinking out loud.  But this setup on a 9mm "other" would work, correct?

55 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

If you want to go that short of a barrel,  apply for an AOW stamp and keep it short. No real reason to buy that length barrel just to make it longer with a huge comp on the end. 

Or are you just trying to go for that tucked look? 

What caliber are you using? 

I'm in NJ....so

9mm and the tucked look. 11-12in barrel/comp combo under a 10in handguard.

42 minutes ago, EaglesNation2016 said:

9mm 8.5” barrel, long muzzle with 10” rail. You could get over 26”…. I like the look of the long blast can style muzzles. 

Exactly!

20 minutes ago, JAM3 said:

I'm in NJ, so.....

Anyway,, I was just thinking out loud.  But this setup on a 9mm "other" would work, correct?

How does being in NJ change external/terminal ballistics?

In a 9mm, a shorter barrel and longer muzzle device may make sense - as a shorter barrel can make the gun less bouncy - it shortens the time the barrel is pressurized which can shorted the travel distance of the BCG. This may keep it from bottoming out at the back end of the receiver extension. But there is lots of work involved to get that tuned right. 

6 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

AOWs are legal in NJ....

Are they though?

22 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Are they though?

ATF is approving stamps for them. Someone on here was showing off his build in another thread. 

Revolutionary Rollerlocks has an AOW version of their MP5 they created specifically for NJ as well.

6 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

ATF is approving stamps for them. Someone on here was showing off his build in another thread. 

Revolutionary Rollerlocks has an AOW version of their MP5 they created specifically for NJ as well.

I’m an idiot. :facepalm:

My Covid raddled brain read your statement as “AOWs are ILLEGAL in NJ.”

You are correct. AOWs are on the path to get the same treatment as SBFs in NJ.

On 11/10/2021 at 4:16 PM, RUTGERS95 said:

got me thinkiing, with aero's new 9mm stuff, perhaps doing an other in 9mm using their lower

Did you ever scratch that itch lol. 

On 12/15/2021 at 12:28 AM, Maksim said:

I think it is at my FFL now.  Will have to call and find out.  Will pick up soon, hopefully along with my suppressors. 

(I am in PA)... 

Maks gotta put salt on that huh?

On 9/12/2019 at 8:10 AM, EngineerJet said:

nqumxm5dope31.png

When using an extended buffer tube like the Vltor A5 with a pistol brace, do you have to worry about keeping it under 13.5" LOP?  It looks like the SB3 would just be under 13.5", but the SB4 would be over 13.5" with the A5.  

Pistol brace LOP rules? : guns (reddit.com)

28 minutes ago, ESB said:

When using an extended buffer tube like the Vltor A5 with a pistol brace, do you have to worry about keeping it under 13.5" LOP?  It looks like the SB3 would just be under 13.5", but the SB4 would be over 13.5" with the A5.  

Pistol brace LOP rules? : guns (reddit.com)

Those rules are for Pistols, which others don't qualify as.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ESB said:

PSA is totally out of their stripped lowers.  Can you use a Complete Lower Kit if it comes with a SB3 for a Pistol to build an Other?  

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ar15-complete-moe-ept-sba3-lower-5165448150.html

Yes. Even one that has a stock. It transfers as an other.