jasonx

Good cleaning KIT for handguns, with potential for rifles?

That kit does have a lot of stuff, but I have switched to bore snakes and will never buy anymore rods and jags and scrubbers. My collection of rods/jags/scrubbers, that ALL seem to have different thread patterns, is infuriating to work with. As they break or piss me off, in the garbage they go.

I have about 5 rifle snakes that take care of 90% of my caliber needs, pistols included. They hang on a hook on work bench peg board. When they get really dirty, I soak them in some simple green for a day and then run them through the washer with work rags.

Snakes are more up front cost, but I feel it is worth it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 9/12/2019 at 11:44 PM, dajonga said:

That kit does have a lot of stuff, but I have switched to bore snakes and will never buy anymore rods and jags and scrubbers. My collection of rods/jags/scrubbers, that ALL seem to have different thread patterns, is infuriating to work with. As they break or piss me off, in the garbage they go.

I have about 5 rifle snakes that take care of 90% of my caliber needs, pistols included. They hang on a hook on work bench peg board. When they get really dirty, I soak them in some simple green for a day and then run them through the washer with work rags.

Snakes are more up front cost, but I feel it is worth it.

Why would I need a bore snake instead of a cleaning rod? All of my guns have easy to remove barrels. Takes literally half a minute to get it out. I did some reading on bore snakes vs cleaning rods and it seems the bore snake's advantage is cleaning with the entry being through the muzzle instead of the action, which wouldn't be an advantage to me given what I said above. Am I missing something?

13 minutes ago, jasonx said:

Why would I need a bore snake instead of a cleaning rod? All of my guns have easy to remove barrels. Takes literally half a minute to get it out. I did some reading on bore snakes vs cleaning rods and it seems the bore snake's advantage is cleaning with the entry being through the muzzle instead of the action, which wouldn't be an advantage to me given what I said above. Am I missing something?

You will end up having both.

Personally, for more detail oriented folks... one piece cleaning rod + jags.

For quick clean... bore snake.

Where bore snakes help is with guns where it is more difficult to take out bolt, and where you cannot run a rod from the chamber OUT to the muzzle.  Do NOT run a cleaning rod/patch back the other way.

This is where bore snakes shine.

Otherwise, cleaning kits are good but many of the cheap rods are well... cheap... they will quickly break.

You will also need a cleaning rod to knock out squibs. =P

On 9/14/2019 at 9:30 PM, jasonx said:

I dunno if you typoed, but bore snakes are designed to go through the action, regardless of how accessible it might be for a cleaning rod. 

For me a big advantage to them is that they don't require you to manage a supply of patches. While that isn't a big deal for home base, it's a huge bonus for in the range bag. 

IMO you'll wind up owning both long term if you have a variety of guns.  For example, with lever guns, a snake is the big winner. They don't really foul the action when fired, and it's annoying to get a rod in there. A couple passes of the bore snake and a little lube and you are done. 

Another win for them in my book is shotguns. I've never found a jag/patch solution for them that has worked well. So it's either the big wooly mop-rod thing which is ungainly and expensive and gets nasty and doesn't really clean up well, or you can use a bore snake which works, can be cleaned better, is easier to store, and travels well in a range bag. 

That being said, pull through cleaning options are all by their nature flexible. Which means you will not be using them for chamber cleaning brushes. 

Personally, I don't use any multiple units cleaning kit - you should do your own research to know what works for you. When it comes to cleaning, Rem oil is about all I use. Tried Hoppe's for a but, which is good for really caked on stuff, but I clean my guns every time I shoot them, and remoil does just fine cleaning and lubricating.

Tho I recently got some renaissance wax for rust protection on some of my blued guns. So far so good, shines them up nicely too