JW_Pepper

PSA: Clinton WMA Rimfire/Muzzleloader Range closed till 2020

"The shooting stations will consist of covered firing line bench rests and baffles "

It would really be nice if they had individual benches so one guy 20 feet away getting up and shifting around every 30 seconds wouldn't wildly affect my shooting...and it sounds like that could be the case.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt if the benches were designed for normal humans and not pro basketball players, too.  I'm 6'2" and those old benches were way too tall for me, let alone a number of guests I have brought who are 6+" shorter than I am.  Considering that you can be what, 12? and get a hunting license and should be able to use the WMA ranges, I'm still curious what drove the decision to make the benches comfortable only for people over 7 feet tall.

I know asking for more than 100yd or centerfire is asking way too much, but it would be nice too...

On 11/18/2019 at 4:29 PM, Malice4you said:

"The shooting stations will consist of covered firing line bench rests and baffles "

It would really be nice if they had individual benches so one guy 20 feet away getting up and shifting around every 30 seconds wouldn't wildly affect my shooting...and it sounds like that could be the case.  I suppose it wouldn't hurt if the benches were designed for normal humans and not pro basketball players, too.  I'm 6'2" and those old benches were way too tall for me, let alone a number of guests I have brought who are 6+" shorter than I am.  Considering that you can be what, 12? and get a hunting license and should be able to use the WMA ranges, I'm still curious what drove the decision to make the benches comfortable only for people over 7 feet tall.

I know asking for more than 100yd or centerfire is asking way too much, but it would be nice too...

Thats funny,   I mentioned that in a post a while ago that those benches were designed for race of humans that must have stood 7 to 8 feet tall .     I started to bring my own piece of 2x12 that I would lay down on the bench so i would actually touch the bench and not be 2 feet back and I made elbow rests that i would clamp on for the proper bench rest position.

With .22 lr shooting becoming much more popular than hunting in this state I feel the benches should be isolated from each other as well for the same reason you mentioned,  the black powder guys would be pounding the ball and shaking the entire bench.  they need to add many more ports as well and a section for prone would be nice.

also I would like to know who set those rules for the steel plinking targets at Clinton to be only on the 25yrd berm?   I dont get it, thats way too close.

I was told that Flatbrook was going to be extended to 100 yards, BTW I drove by that one last week as well and their is construction going on but there was no activity when I was there.

3 hours ago, revenger said:

also I would like to know who set those rules for the steel plinking targets at Clinton to be only on the 25yrd berm?   I dont get it, thats way too close.

I also never understood it, makes zero sense to me.  I have a spinner target and three AR500 gongs (2", and two 4") which I really want to just use at 100yd.  For the time being, I just use blocks of wood hanging off my target stand and golf balls at 100. Not that a single person has ever actually followed all the rules there, but I do attempt to even as I watch everyone around me ignore em.