SJG

Guess

Winner. HK parts now has HK functional compensators made out of Aluminum for several of their pistols. Integrates on the rail and then the comp has an optional rail you can attach on the bottom(comes with the set up) so you can have a rail if you want. Inspired by John Wick 3 movie  with the HK 30 or 30L Reeves used. Gives the pistol a whole new look and functionality-very cool

7 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

Functional? I doubt it!

Well what it does more is add more weight to the muzzle to reduce felt recoil.  I think the Weight makes more a difference than actually driving the comp!  Unless you are feeding it a steady diet of +P+.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, david8613 said:

Looks cool, can u show a pic of the muzzle head on? 

5 oz

HP also makes 2 types of weight only, competition attachments that do not have ports on top etc. They claim this comp further reduces flip etc. I do not have those types for comparison. I have not fired yet with the comp on, but the ports appear to be in the correct position for functional as opposed to weight only compensation. Frankly, it just looks so cool, that is not really an issue for me if I only get added weight compensation with sustained fire. Designed for any barrel type on VP9.

IMG_2950.jpg

IMG_2951.jpg

Unfortunately, the PMM comp will only work with a threaded barrel whereas the HK will work with either. The price of a threaded barrel replacement and the comp make it a no go. I don't have a threaded barrel.

Even if the ports are pointed in the right direction, it wont help it be more effective as a comp. The issue is that for a comp to actually work, the bore size of comp and barrel needs to be very close. Since these comps are not screwed on to the barrel, the bore will need to be very liberal, as in much bigger. This is why bushing comps on 1911's never really worked.

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

This is why bushing comps on 1911's never really worked.

That and it's a low pressure round. Even with higher pressure rounds and a proper comp, you STILL need to load with a powder that burns appropriately to drive the comp. Some 9mm +P rounds are probably sufficient, but for the most part, comps without the right ammo will only be a marginal improvement. 

• Agree 1

All I know is that I shot it today-250 rounds at the range with both regular and plus 9mm ammo and with and without the comp and the groups were  better with the comp on. It matters to me not if the reason is the weight of the comp, the comp alone or the combined effect of the weight and the comp. I would describe the improvement as more than marginal but I did not take scientific measurements. I am sure that all the factors mentioned in the above posts are germane to the issue and do not dispute them as I have not studied the issue in scientific detail.

2 hours ago, SJG said:

All I know is that I shot it today-250 rounds at the range with both regular and plus 9mm ammo and with and without the comp and the groups were  better with the comp on. It matters to me not if the reason is the weight of the comp, the comp alone or the combined effect of the weight and the comp. I would describe the improvement as more than marginal but I did not take scientific measurements. I am sure that all the factors mentioned in the above posts are germane to the issue and do not dispute them as I have not studied the issue in scientific detail.

It's all in your head. =P

But really, probably the weight.  The comp would make little to no impact in terms of accuracy.  Comps were always about keeping the gun flatter for faster follow ups.

But if it makes you shoot better. That is awesome. 

We all have stuff just for looks... like my race holster, my ear plugs and shoes being the same red/orange definitely don't make me shoot better... but are cool. =P

I think the best accuracy upgrade for me with handguns... was going to a CZ Sp01. =P

• Agree 1