gunforhire

This week on GunForHireRadio #434 Post NRA Board meeting news and Red Flag to do list!

This weeks podcast compelled me to post here and pose some thoughts. Totally understand that as things are ongoing only so much information can be discussed (as someone in a public, listed company I get it), but repeated themes I hear/feel are: 

1) Does an organization like the NRA truly need 76 board members as it's designed today? From what I've surmised, there's a mix of active working members, some that do less but are active and some that are figurehead only (celebrity). With a smaller, more focused board perhaps the organization would have better internal transparency to each other, and then to the outside world. Sunlight is the best disinfectant.

2) Many people feel that the leadership being in place for such a long time has not created, nor helped the current infighting. I fully understand the dynamics of a BOD, but one glaring observation is that regardless of the end result of right or wrong this infighting happened under the current figurehead's watch. To me, that really says that perhaps it's time to recognize that cleaning the slate should be looked at as over the last (I think 20) years, the buck has stopped at Wayne's desk. If the NRA wants to change the narrative around it's efforts and policies, that won't ever work if the same faces are associated with the narrative. 

3) Appealing to Fudd's and Flannel Daddy. I mean both in jest but do use it to separate their narratives. It's where the $$$ comes from. And you need $$$ to do anything, but the Flannel Daddy output for the past few years has done a great job of becoming meme worthy and only pushing those on the fence about firearms ownership further away. Fear of the slippery slope around seeming too soft is the undertone I've felt. 

Now more than ever is the time that the NRA, it's members and it's lobbying arm should be making the full court press on every American having the right to defend themselves (regardless if they choose to exercise it or not) and look for common ground to help create legislation for safer communities. HOWEVER, because of the drama that's been unfolding these past 6 months it can't do so, and I struggle to see how it could if it continues to operate in it's current state. It should be on it's front foot vs. back feet. 

As an NRA member it's my 1 in 5,000,000th part to ask these questions to try and make things better. I'm interested to see if any agree or disagree.