CMJeepster

Homeowner shoots and kills 3 masked men in possible 'stand your ground' case

Homeowner shoots and kills 3 masked men in possible 'stand your ground' case

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/homeowner-shoots-kills-3-masked-men-possible-stand-181100245--abc-news-topstories.html

A homeowner in Georgia shot and killed three young masked men at his home early Monday morning, according to Rockdale County Sheriff Eric Levett.

Authorities identified the three deceased individuals as juveniles Monday evening -- two 16-year-olds and one 15-year-old -- but have not released their names. The sheriff’s office told ABC News it waited to release information about the teens, all from Conyers, Georgia, until all three families were notified.

The homeowner, who has also not been identified by deputies, was taken to the station for questioning.

"It could be a 'stand your ground' type case, based on the preliminary [information] that we have learned so far," Levett said during the briefing.

The three teens allegedly approached the home and attempted to rob three people in the front yard, the sheriff's office said Monday night. One of the attempted robbery suspects purportedly brandished a handgun and fired shots at the residents before one returned fire. All three attempted robbery suspects were killed during the exchange, authorities said.

The victims of the attempted robbery were all uninjured. No charges have been filed against anyone in the case.

(MORE: Florida 'stand your ground' shooter found guilty of manslaughter)

Deputies found two guns at the scene, but have yet to determine to whom the weapons belonged, Levett said.

The men were found outside the home when deputies arrived. One man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the two others were transported to a local hospital where they were pronounced dead.

A neighbor told Atlanta ABC affiliate WSB  that he heard gunfire around 4 a.m. Monday and ran outside to see what happened.

"It was five shots, and then it sounded like a handgun. Then I heard somebody have an assault rifle. And it was a slew of shots that came out," neighbor Carlos Watson told the station.

The legal phrase "stand your ground" became a national story in 2012 when George Zimmerman killed 17-year-old Trayvon Martin following an altercation in their Florida neighborhood.

Zimmerman was charged with murder, but said he had no choice but to shoot Martin because he feared for his life. In July 2013, a Florida jury acquitted Zimmerman.

So three masked men attempted to rob three other people, one of which had an assault rifle, at 4am on a Monday morning? I'm going to err on the side of caution and wait for more facts before rallying behind the homeowner. 

• Disagree 2

In this article there's a video link where they interview a neighbor who says the homeowner was a stand up guy.

In the video they also interview friends/relatives of the robbers who think shooting them was overkill and the homeowner should only have shot one time.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/homeowner-shoots-kills-men-wearing-mask-deputies-say/986744589

Here's another version of the incident, NOT one manipulated like Yahoo did with the OP. This is from the local paper in that area. I'll just paste the conflicting info with the Yahoo hit piece above:

...." Brian Jenkins lives at the corner of White Oak Court and White Oak Street, just off Flat Shoals Road between Ga. Highway 20/138 and Old Salem Road. He said he was watching TV about 4:02 a.m. when he heard “light shooting, followed by some loud shooting.” Jenkins said from the sound of the shots that there was more than one gun involved, and that it sounded like it was happening right next to his house.

Jenkins said he knows the gentleman who allegedly shot the trio.

“He is a truck driver and his mother lives down there by herself. They’re beautiful people. They mind their own business, but they’ll do anything for anyone in the community. That’s just the way they are. He’s seldom in the neighborhood because he’s a truck driver.

“From what I gather, the young men were hanging in the area at 4 a.m. in the morning,” added Jenkins. “From talking to my neighbors, they tried to mug him and he defended himself. As a result of that, gunfire ensued and the deputies took him, his girlfriend and his nephew in for questioning.”

“I’m harmed tremendously,” he said. “I’ve been living here for over 15 years and this is a beautiful neighborhood. We never have any problems in this neighborhood. We all know one another.

“But it lends credence to points that I’ve been raising for a very long time. We must create preventative programs for these young people."

https://www.rockdalenewtoncitizen.com/news/three-men-shot-and-killed-at-conyers-home-this-morning/article_3ec213e4-d87f-11e9-9c0b-6322dba2eeb5.html

So, hanging in the neighborhood at 4 AM, wearing masks..... were they Trick or Treating a bit early??

And WTF does the Zimmerman/Trayvon situation have to due with this incident???  Answer, nothing, except for Yahoo trying to sway opinions.... again...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.