antimatter

Is this considered a dagger?

1 hour ago, antimatter said:

The information you are getting is incorrect.

That is an applegate fairbain clone...as such in NJ daggers or dirks are illegal....do not carry it..own it if you want it in your collection...but then look for a better one.

Applegate–Fairbairn fighting knife is a combat knife designed by Colonel Rex Applegate and William E. Fairbairn as a version of the Fairbairn–Sykes fighting knife. The blade has a similar double-edged dagger profile, but is wider and more durable.

look for one that as a single edge....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Daggers illegal? Hmm. I only own and carry what I want for all lawful purposes as a collector. You can also. The law is written to allow this. Use it to your advantage.

Yes I know ....once again NJ gray area...

he should be looking for a single edge......he can have the pattern....he technically can have the knife...

Would u want to try to explain to the sheep of nj what his 'lawful' purpose for his double edge serated fighting knife is? 

I carry a kabar while in the AT - the top edge is dulled...i would rather err on the side of caution

OP here....https://knifeup.com/new-jersey-knife-laws/

• Like 2

1 hour ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Yes I know ....once again NJ gray area...

he should be looking for a single edge......he can have the pattern....he technically can have the knife...

Would u want to try to explain to the sheep of nj what his 'lawful' purpose for his double edge serated fighting knife is? 

I carry a kabar while in the AT - the top edge is dulled...i would rather err on the side of caution

OP here....https://knifeup.com/new-jersey-knife-laws/

the site you links says the opposite of what your claiming, it says only illegal to own without explainable lawful purpose... what am i not understanding.

8 hours ago, cabalrayz said:

the site you links says the opposite of what your claiming, it says only illegal to own without explainable lawful purpose... what am i not understanding.

What your not understanding is....interpretation.

To @PK90 point, technically yes own carry... 

now you want to argue with barney fife as to why your carrying a dagger?

He doesn't know the law, he might arrest you and then let the DA figure it out

Now do you want to try to convince the sheep in NJ  what your lawful purpose is for carrying a double edged fighting dagger ?

My post should have had more info and judicious use of quote marks.

I own one, well some, one i carry is the Gerber applegate folder SINGLE EDGE.  

In the woods and trails, kabar SINGLE EDGE

Attempting to establish lawful use of a dedicated fighting knife, to those that are less than plugged in, is well silly.  Yes this is life in nj

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

What your not understanding is....interpretation.

To @PK90 point, technically yes own carry... 

now you want to argue with barney fife as to why your carrying a dagger?

He doesn't know the law, he might arrest you and then let the DA figure it out

Now do you want to try to convince the sheep in NJ  what your lawful purpose is for carrying a double edged fighting dagger ?

My post should have had more info and judicious use of quote marks.

I own one, well some, one i carry is the Gerber applegate folder SINGLE EDGE.  

In the woods and trails, kabar SINGLE EDGE

Attempting to establish lawful use of a dedicated fighting knife, to those that are less than plugged in, is well silly.  Yes this is life in nj

The same barney fife will say you knife is illegal because the blade length is wider than his palm, also your kabar or applegate they were both designed for cqc.  i think you would be better buying a knife that was designed for opening cardboard boxes, why you need these scary tactical knives?  :D

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

So is the argument that for owning in a collection with no intent to carry, just put it in a collection and if needed transport it from residence to residence, you can own a switchblade? 

The OP mentioned carry....  for me i would never carry a double edged blade in nj...

YMMV

I read through 2C:39 and could not find a definition for the following: "daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives".  There are three types of knives that are defined: Gravity Knife, Ballistic Knife, and Switchblade.  What is the NJ definition of "daggers, dirks, stilettos, or other dangerous knives"? I cannot find it anywhere.  Who is to say that a double edged knife like the OP posted is a dagger?  I would define it as a double edged boxcutter.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Sniper said:

The most important question, can it be used to cut up Crock Pot ribs?

Asking for a friend.

I believe the correct utensil for crock pot ribs is a spork. 

19 hours ago, PK90 said:

Did your cousin's best friend's mother-in-law say so?

It's widely accepted that daggers are doubled edged and come to a symetrical point designed for stabbing.. same with the Dirk.. figured the state would treat any double edge knife with respect to either.

You can call it what ever you want, prosecutor won't give a shit. 

At least with a single edge knife you can argue it's not on the list of banned weapons, provided its not one of the other mentioned.

• Agree 1

23 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

The OP mentioned carry....  for me i would never carry a double edged blade in nj...

YMMV

Yeah, but i'm interested in collecting. 

I would like a butterfly knife for my collection, but several places seem to think it qualifies as being a gravity knife. I'd argue no seeing as they have a latch that has nothing to do with gravity. I hadn't gotten around to doing a lot of research as I had a lot more interesting stuff on the list that was just a matter of budget rather than legality.  I'd also love to add a paragon warlock to my collection. But it is both double edged, and I would suspect would qualify as a gravity knife.

No desire to carry them, but my collection is themed around folders and the various locking and or folding mechanisms. 

2 hours ago, raz-0 said:

Yeah, but i'm interested in collecting. 

I would like a butterfly knife for my collection, but several places seem to think it qualifies as being a gravity knife. I'd argue no seeing as they have a latch that has nothing to do with gravity. I hadn't gotten around to doing a lot of research as I had a lot more interesting stuff on the list that was just a matter of budget rather than legality.  I'd also love to add a paragon warlock to my collection. But it is both double edged, and I would suspect would qualify as a gravity knife.

No desire to carry them, but my collection is themed around folders and the various locking and or folding mechanisms. 

It's only illegal If you get caught with it 

But that would be a easily believed lawful purpose to own them. 

e.Certain weapons. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any gravity knife, switchblade knife, dagger, dirk, stiletto, billy, blackjack, metal knuckle, sandclub, slingshot, cestus or similar leather band studded with metal filings or razor blades imbedded in wood, ballistic knife, without any explainable lawful purpose, is guilty of a crime of the fourth degree.

"without any explainable lawful purpose"----seems to me that 1 collector 2 seller of 3 potential self defense might be an explainable lawful purpose---does not say justifiable need to have in his possession. By the way, I have never seen the State indict under this law alone, usually any indictment will  join this charge with unlawful use or a first-third degree crime. I also question if this statute is even constitutional in light of the U. S. Supreme Courts decision in Caetano

Legal but I would never want the word "Tactical" on my knife. Also for $25 you are buying very low end. There are good steeled knives for slightly more money.

I have some on clearance here.

https://www.teampython.com/blowout-flash-sale/

• COLD STEEL
  • CRKT
  • Smith and Wesson 
  • BearEdge
  • Like 1

as always quite the discussion as most laws are confusing as hell here in New Joisey.  

I dont want to carry just really concerned if i can own, as i like me some knives, sort of a collector.  and the reason is that i have a P99 and think its a nice match to my pistol.  even got the PPQ folding knife as well. 

thanks to all who gave good info,  even though my refinance was easier to understand!  '

cheers

AM