High Exposure

9/16/19 Student Shot During Training Class

This is not good.

Trainee was shot in the neck during shoothouse force-on-force exercise.

Having trained pretty extensively in force on force and having instructed others in force on force, I can’t imagine this happening. There should be so many checks and re-checks prior to going “live”. Someone really dropped the ball here.

Link made cold.

https://www.lehighvalleylive

DOT

com/news/2019/09/man-shot-in-neck-during-training-drill-police-say.html

Man shot in neck during training drill, police say

Updated Sep 16, 2019; Posted Sep 16, 2019

By Tony Rhodin | For lehighvalleylive.com

A 46-year-old man was flown to a local hospital after being shot in the neck on Sunday during a training exercise at a facility in Monroe County, police report.

Stroud Area Regional officers were called at 1:58 p.m. for the report of a wounded man at Threat Assessment & Tactical Solutions Group, 103 Kraemer Ave. in Stroudsburg, police Chef Jennifer Lyon said in a news release.

Rockwell Tactical Group LLC, out of Gettysburg, was running the training drill there, police said. Rockwell offers a variety of training to teach people to protect themselves and their families, according to its website.

Threat Assessment Tactical Solutions features a 3,500-square foot “shoothouse,”which is available to be rented, according to its website, for parties and more serious endeavors. The complex features nearly 20 rooms, including residential and office spaces as well as a simulated garage for training.

Rockwell does live-fire training but does not provide weapons or ammunition, according to its website. The guns at the Stroudsburg training facility are converted to fire paint-marking rounds, its website says. 

The victim was shot by a live round, Lyon said.

The victim was taken by ambulance to Stroudsburg Area High School and flown out, Lyon said. No one else was hurt, she said.

The chief said she couldn’t provide a medical condition for the wounded man.

Police on Monday were not immediately releasing the victim’s name or that of anyone else involved, Lyon said.

It is an isolated incident that appears to be an accident, but the investigation was continuing, Lyon said. The community is not at risk, she added.

Borough police were assisted by the Pennsylvania State Police Forensic Services Unit, Suburban EMS, St. Luke’s EMS and the borough fire department, Lyon said.

Tony Rhodin may be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @TonyRhodin. Find lehighvalleylive.com on Facebook.

11 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Looks like they pulled their social media accounts down as well - at least IG.

Same for Facebook page.

@High Exposure

So I have not taken any force on force training... is there any  circumstance that it would be done with live fire firearms?  

Or did they forget to check student's guns and someone used their CCW weapon by accident?

No live weapons should have been allowed anywhere near the training area.

I wasn’t there, so I won’t speculate on what happened but someone dropped the ball on the safety check list somewhere big time.

If this was one of the classes I was running, this guy would have had to have gotten past multiple checkpoints in multiple layers of safety areas that were each staffed with safety personnel whose sole job is to treat you like there was a million dollar bounty for every gun and bullet they find.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

Didn't something like this happen a few years ago?  I think it may have been LE.  Something like the LT, came on site in the middle of an exercise and used his normal firearm instead of a simunition gun.

Edit:

Found it,  it was a training officer.

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/2-police-trainees-injured-1-gravely-in-baltimore-co-exercise/7078980

10 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Rockwell does live-fire training but does not provide weapons or ammunition, according to its website. The guns at the Stroudsburg training facility are converted to fire paint-marking rounds, its website says. 

First and foremost, I hope the victim survives.

They "do not provide the weapons or ammunition"  but the weapons "are converted to fire paint-marking rounds"; how the heck does any of that work?

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

Ah yep...

That was this gem...

I literally said "What The F&^K" out loud as I watched that. Struggling to decide who is more irresponsible, the people that came up with and run that manure show or the participants.

11 hours ago, Maksim said:

So I have not taken any force on force training... is there any  circumstance that it would be done with live fire firearms?  

Or did they forget to check student's guns and someone used their CCW weapon by accident?

If proper checks are done, no weapons should be there - including knives, pepper spray, etc.

11 hours ago, High Exposure said:

No live weapons should have been allowed anywhere near the training area.

I wasn’t there, so I won’t speculate on what happened but someone dropped the ball on the safety check list somewhere big time.

If this was one of the classes I was running, this guy would have had to have gotten past multiple checkpoints in multiple layers of safety areas that were each staffed with safety personnel whose sole job is to treat you like there was a million dollar bounty for every gun and bullet they find.

^ This.  I've only done it once but each time we went in and out of the training area, someone had to check us to make sure we didn't accidentally grab a firearm or even a knife.

On 9/17/2019 at 8:48 PM, Maksim said:

Ah yep...

That was this gem...

Holy circular firing squad.  So the people who ran this criminally negligent activity also ran that live fire training event?  If this video represents the standard they maintain, I would argue that the shooting of the attendee in the neck would not be considered an accident. It would be gross f*&$ing negligence.  I realize I wasn’t there, but to call this an accident is like calling a completely drunk guy running over three kids on bikes, “an accident”.  Its incompetence on methamphetamine.

• Agree 2

22 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

If proper checks are done, no weapons should be there - including knives, pepper spray, etc.

^ This.  I've only done it once but each time we went in and out of the training area, someone had to check us to make sure we didn't accidentally grab a firearm or even a knife.

I too have only done it once and that was my experience as well. Frisked thoroughly each time.

What a horrifying story!  I sure hope the unfortunate victim of this negligence is going to be OK.

While I don't dwell on it, it frequently crosses my mind on the way to a training class that someone could end up getting shot.  In the last few years, I have twice been in classes where there was an NG.  In one instance, there was a break in the action and one of the other students was fiddling around with his trigger, causing a round to go off.  Luckily, the gun was pointed in a safe direction, and we all still had our hearing protection on, so it was just startling.  In the other, we were running a drill, and one of the students put a round into the floor, so again, we were saved by relatively good muzzle discipline. 

3 hours ago, djg0770 said:

I too have only done it once and that was my experience as well. Frisked thoroughly each time.

I've done F on F a few times, and this was my experience as well.