revenger

no more Colt AR15s

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/18/report-colt-to-cease-ar-15-production-for-the-civilian-market/

I guess they are going to try to capture the law enforcement market.   They may as well stop all sales as I will never support a company that surrenders to the enemy .     Not like they make anything today that's worth a shit but they were trying to get back into the revolver scene.

Colt can produce something like 700 rifles per day. 
Apparently this is a fairly large FMS (foreign military service) order, and they have a deadline to meet. 

This isn’t the first time Colt has suspended civilian production to meet military contracts, and it won’t be the last. I don’t know why everyone is getting their panties in a wad over this. 

Civilian production will resume in November. 

• Like 2

https://www.guns.com/news/2019/09/16/colt-reportedly-to-stop-making-rifles-for-consumer-market

Seems like a completely different article than the breitbart

"Shooting Illustrated reported that Colt’s rifle line production is occupied, at least for the time being, with outstanding contracts which include orders through police and defense channels."

On 9/18/2019 at 7:23 PM, Displaced Texan said:

They are suspending civilian production for 60 days in order to fulfill a contract, which I presume to be military. 

The sky is not falling. 

This.

As expected the mainstream will look to make a mountain of things...

2 minutes ago, Golf battery said:

Got a nib one for you if i croak before you. 

Lets see who makes it to the finish line first.  :drinks:

Hahahaha!! Deal!! I’ve got a few goodies for you if I die first!

• Disagree 1

Since there's so much speculation and opinion, let's try directly from Colt's CEO...

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) — Gun-maker Colt is suspending its production of rifles for the civilian market including the popular AR-15, the company said Thursday in a shift it attributed to changes in consumer demand and a market already saturated with similar weapons.

The company said it will focus instead on fulfilling contracts with military and police customers for rifles.

“The fact of the matter is that over the last few years, the market for modern sporting rifles has experienced significant excess manufacturing capacity,” Colt’s chief executive officer, Dennis Veilleux, said in a written statement. “Given this level of manufacturing capacity, we believe there is adequate supply for modern sporting rifles for the foreseeable future.”

https://apnews.com/fbdf5e5f6d654332bbedfaffe3663154

It would appear that there are a plethora of, for example, the LE6920 OEM1 models out or sale, now.  I am a little worried about the OEM2, which went out of stock and probably won't be replaced in the near future... So any that are still left in the open market might become a little pricey...  Sucks as that's the one I wanted, as it doesn't have the built in front sight blocking my scope, as does the OEM1.  I'm told you can remove the front sight but the lower portion of it  houses the impingement tubes so i wouldn't want to mess with that.

Anyway, I'm sure there are a good number of other models out there, and perhaps this is an opportunity to start from scratch (i.e. a lower) and do my own custom build... We'll see. A litle intimidating, but we'll see.

Although I despise the yellow journalism attempts to spin the Colt announcement,  I do have concerns over their timing etc etc. FN, KAC, and even Colt as far as I can remember never abandoned the market like this. It was always, Warfighters first. And I dont think our community ever took issue with this. But this is different. And it concerns me how much this lines up with Murphy's ultimatum...

1 hour ago, Shane45 said:

Although I despise the yellow journalism attempts to spin the Colt announcement,  I do have concerns over their timing etc etc. FN, KAC, and even Colt as far as I can remember never abandoned the market like this. It was always, Warfighters first. And I dont think our community ever took issue with this. But this is different. And it concerns me how much this lines up with Murphy's ultimatum...

Colt has been pulling away from us for years. And to their ultimate demise. Choices have consequences 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, charleslee said:

Can we say SPIN, boys & girls? You watch, this won’t be temporary. 

A marketing ploy to the people, start a FOMO demand (Fear Of Missing Out), thinking they won't be available, and start a FAKE fear, which will increase the demand...

Classic marketing!

4 hours ago, Zeke said:

Colt has been pulling away from us for years. And to their ultimate demise. Choices have consequences 

Colt has been walking the fine line between profitability and insolvency for years.  This is nothing new.

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/markets/071315/why-colt-went-out-business.asp

On 9/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, Shane45 said:

KAC? 

Did they stop making civvy AR's?

Honestly, these companies aren't doing themselves any favors. They will build and sell these arms for the government, but not for civilians. At least that is the message they are sending. 

I understand the market is saturated, but people would still buy their rifles over the others if they had their shit together. 

It really just sounds like they will sell overpriced contracts to the government.. and not much else is worth their time. 

The only other products they mentioned are handguns that civilians are willing to pay a pretty premium for.