revenger

White House and background checks

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/18/white-house-doj-gun-control-proposal-includes-universal-background-checks/

looks like some form of background check is being thrown out there,    If America got U.S. Reciprocity that was real included in this and the background check was FREE and available to all through an easy APP and the record of the sale was destroyed except for your hard copy  , that would be the only way  I think it might pass.       Not that I want it but in NJ were screwed right now anyway so we may as well get something out of it.

Still looking for a simple explanation on the difference between what we go through now for a NJ FID and the proposal.

It has been a few years, but I do recall getting fingerprinted, asking two people I know to mail in a letter of reference, interviewing with the PD, paying up, checking my record, etc etc.

Is there more to it?

If I'm reading that correctly, it looks like it applies only to "commercial sales," is free of charge, and no records will be kept of the transaction, so no registry.  Also, it does not apply to lending guns to friends or family at a range, or while hunting.  Seems like a good way to give the antis their beloved "background checks," and then tell them to STFU.

Has anyone else noticed that whenever Democratic politicians of members of the mainstream media talk about background checks, they also say that it has anywhere from 90-97% approval?  Doesn't it seem that when pollsters ask people, "Should there be background checks?" the average person doesn't know that they are already done for most sales, so they just say, "Sure, that sounds like a good idea.," hence the high approval number.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

If I'm reading that correctly, it looks like it applies only to "commercial sales," is free of charge, and no records will be kept of the transaction, so no registry. 

By commercial sales, that also includes any advertised sales or public sales, like gun shows, classifieds or online sales.

Here's a draft of the letter:

1-711fed2032.jpg

On 9/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, voyager9 said:

Looks like this is for “commercial sales”. Whatever that means. 

Right. What the hell -does- that mean?  I don’t think there is such a legal transfer in NJ.  Maybe other states allow a transfer from a business to an individual without a NICS check. But that’s news to me.

I thought sales at gun shows would either be a FFL gun sold to an individual and included a NICS check. Or was a personally own gun, regardless of whether the person operated an FFL or not, to another individual.

If this is what the Rs are proposing...commercial whatever...... and not NICS for private sales, the dems can’t possibly be so dumb to think it covers private sales.

Why not require a private user NICS check for private sales to non family members at the discretion of the seller?

What the dems -really- want is registration.  Let them talk enough about this and they will say it.  I just heard that everytown a hole say it in an interview.

And repeating what half of you said already.... WHY are the Rs not saying...”You want BG checks? Give us national CC.” 

Probably bec they really are almost as anti gun as the left.  They just see a benefit to 2nd Ammdt window dressing.

5 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

If this is what the Rs are proposing...commercial whatever...... and not NICS for private sales, the dems can’t possibly be so dumb to think it covers private sales.

Or it’s so vague that it does cover private sales but is wrapped around quasi-commercial terminology. 

It seems that “advertising” is what determines if you need a FFL or this new class to conduct the transfer. What does advertising mean?  We may all think typical commercial advertising like flyers, etc. it could also include starting a WTS thread here.  If it goes that far it would cover almost all modern private sales. 

On 9/18/2019 at 6:12 PM, revenger said:

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2019/09/18/white-house-doj-gun-control-proposal-includes-universal-background-checks/

looks like some form of background check is being thrown out there,    If America got U.S. Reciprocity that was real included in this and the background check was FREE and available to all through an easy APP and the record of the sale was destroyed except for your hard copy  , that would be the only way  I think it might pass.       Not that I want it but in NJ were screwed right now anyway so we may as well get something out of it.

and of course ZERO information about the firearm or whether or not the purchase actually went through, "just in case" they don't destroy the record......

On 9/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, voyager9 said:

Looks like this is for “commercial sales”. Whatever that means. 

i thik it means that things will stay as they are?

ANY mandatory background check will be a form of registration.  Any App that would allow for such would be a form of registration and would put private information out there for any to intercept or be abused.  Once the information is out there it cannot be retracted.  Registration is de facto confiscation.  Commercial seems to mean that it would be any advertised sale... (posting of forum, at range, hey I have a gun for sale, etc.).   Only examples (gifts) among friends and family might be exempt?  NJ wasn't supposed to keep records of the NICS checks, but it does.  Do you believe the federal NICS check doesn't?  And, who would be doing the free background checks.  The check might be free but not the service.  

I am confused and concerned about one section in particular.  In the section entitled “New Form/Certification”, it mentions memorializing the background check, ”including serial number”, .......

Is that referring to the serial number of the firearm or a serial number of the background check? If firearm , isn’t that registration?

Sounds reasonable, huh?  Fudds be Damned...  Go after the bad guys and help those with mental health issues and leave the citizens alone!    Lets pass universal term limits and keep violent criminals away from the people and then go from there.

On 9/18/2019 at 6:25 PM, AlDente67 said:

Still looking for a simple explanation on the difference between what we go through now for a NJ FID and the proposal

Are you saying you are ok with what we go trough in NJ?

8 hours ago, Kevin125 said:

And repeating what half of you said already.... WHY are the Rs not saying...”You want BG checks? Give us national CC.” 

Because not many R's want that either.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, voyager9 said:

It seems that “advertising” is what determines if you need a FFL or this new class to conduct the transfer. What does advertising mean?  We may all think typical commercial advertising like flyers, etc. it could also include starting a WTS thread here.  If it goes that far it would cover almost all modern private sales. 

I think that's the point. We get jaded because of how WE have to conduct face to face sales in the Communist state of NJ. But in states like Texas (and other FREE states), can't people run ads in the Classified section and other Buy and Sell publications of guns for sale, and make private face to face transactions? I think this is what they are referring to by "advertising" or "commercial".

1 hour ago, oldguysrule649 said:

Is that referring to the serial number of the firearm or a serial number of the background check? If firearm , isn’t that registration?

Ahhh yes.... someone is paying attention to the fine details... They've been pushing for registration for a long time, and are trying to sneak it in..