Pizza Bob

Omen?

Last night I picked up the latest addition to my S&W collection....

29-8-Mtn-Talo.jpg

Sorry, not a great picture. It's a Talo, 1 of 1000, model 29-8 Mountain Gun (.44 Mag). Interesting because they made two separate/different mountain guns with the same model designation of 29-8. There was a stocking dealer special that came with Ahrends grips and was built on the four-screw frame - which is the current carbon steel frame, and then there is this Talo edition which comes with custom Altamont grips. What you can't see in the picture is that the bottom of the grip is stippled and has "MOUNTAIN" laser engraved. Here is the strange part - these were built on the three-screw carbon steel frame, which has not been used since 2000 (the DOM of this gun is 2011).

It is well known that Smith never lets anything go to waste. Someone found a bin full of three-screw frames buried in the warehouse, so they utilized them by offering this special 1000 gun run to Talo.

Here is the second weird thing - when I picked it up at my dealer I did a double take at the serial number: CRY1984. Is that an omen or what?

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Agree 1

Van Halen?  Thought Police?  Rosebud?  Very nice Revolver....   Love shooting 44 Special.   

Look up ORWELLIAN GUN CONTROL!  There are a good # of quotes about guns in his book, 1984. Forget the gun...That serial # is way cool!

If you don't like what you find out about that serial # and decide you don't want that evil gun, SELL IT TO ME!:)

• Like 1

"That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.”  Orwell

Pizza bob I have been on this forum for many years. you never disappoint when you post such beautiful revolvers, you have a great eye. I have to ask how many revolvers do you actually own? When did you start your collection?

58 minutes ago, david8613 said:

Pizza bob I have been on this forum for many years. you never disappoint when you post such beautiful revolvers, you have a great eye. I have to ask how many revolvers do you actually own? When did you start your collection?

Thank you! I have been shooting for almost 60 years. First under the auspices of my father using his guns. Got my first rifle at 12 YO - a Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55, mail order, because you could still do that then. First handgun was a H&R 929 .22 LR in 1972. Second was a Ruger Old Army cap & ball and in late 1972 or early 1973 I got my first S&W, a Model 28-2 that I purchased to convert to .44 Special. I got an original Model 24 barrel and sent the gun off to a gunsmith in CA for the actual conversion. I still have that gun and it is probably the most accurate Smith that I own...

Slide24.jpg

As to the number? Let's just say more than a few. As I've posted on here, I believe that earlier this year I crossed the line from just being a buyer/admirer to being a collector. I have been buying S&W's that I will probably never shoot and they were bought knowing that. My taste in Smiths is eclectic. I certainly don't let a thing like the internal lock or the use of MIM put me off. The oldest S&W I own is from 1950 and is the K22 that is shown in the Elk Stag Grip thread currently running, and the newest is a 929 manufactured about two or three months ago and is currently undergoing extensive modifications at my gunsmith's.

I do own other brands of revolvers (the H&R is long gone) as well as semi-auto handguns and various actions long guns.

Thanks for asking

Adios,

Pizza Bob

50 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

First handgun was a H&R 929 .22 LR

Me Too!  My first handgun was also a 929 .22 LR.  Got mine in 7.  I was only 16 so my Grandmother got it for me. I still have mine and it's still a P.o.S. compared to my Smiths!