tblant

Archery practice

I want to buy a compound bow and wondering where I can shoot outside for free.  Live in condo near Lake Hopatcong area so no “backyard”.   I don’t have a hunting license.   Also, assuming there are spots close by do I just bring a target and ensure a safe backstop exists?   

Any archery / bow hunt clubs around?  I Googled but did not see much (one in Lincoln Park?). Thx

How do I pass the field exam (3 out of 5 arrows in vital zone) if I can’t practice until I pass the exam.  I have always wanted to get into archery, but have never fired a bow so 3 out of 5 is unlikely .  Sort of kidding...I will figure it out.

Cherry Ridge has an archery range, so you could join there and shoot all you want.

If you don't want to be a member then you could show up for their beginner archery shooting on Saturdays:

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.anjrpc.org/resource/resmgr/archery/2019_fall_program_flyer.pdf

You have to shoot their bows during those sessions, but it's a good way to get started.

Cherry Ridge as already mentioned.. good choice, but not free.  The only "Free" location that I know of, besides if you have enough private property somewhere is in my town of Kearny.   Not exactly close to you but maybe worth it since its free?  Not a big location.. but I always see hunters there with their little fake plastic bambi's practicing.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/KearnyArcheryRangeandPark/about/?ref=page_internal

On 9/24/2019 at 10:24 PM, tblant said:

I want to buy a compound bow and wondering where I can shoot outside for free.  Live in condo near Lake Hopatcong area so no “backyard”.   I don’t have a hunting license.   Also, assuming there are spots close by do I just bring a target and ensure a safe backstop exists?   

Any archery / bow hunt clubs around?  I Googled but did not see much (one in Lincoln Park?). Thx

Are there any shops by you that have a range?  It may not be free but it could be your best bet.  

Grab a lesson while you're at it.  Maybe two.  Learn a bit.  Then take your test.  Your instructor should be able to help you out with it as well as teach you the basics of archery.  There are a lot of "mechanics" involved with being able to shoot well.  Remember, you're not missing a target, you're taking life.  As a hunter, I'd like to see that you take humane shots.  

If you're not going to hunt, scratch some of what I said.  But I would still recommend taking a couple of lessons.  They will dramatically speed your learning.  

2 hours ago, tblant said:

Thanks Bully.  I plan on going to Targeteers Archery.  They have a good selection, range and lessons too.  We are on the same page..

Good deal.

If you are able, once you have some equipment, I'd take a look at Stark Archery in Hackensack.  They mostly deal with Olympic style recurve/longbow shooting, but Jay can get you hooked up.  I've used him in the past and was well pleased.  

I'm not Targeteers biggest fan...  

I saw bad reviews about Targeteers customer service, but given the range I feel I need to go there.  It is out of the way too as I live in Mt. Arlington.  I heard Simon Peter is a good place in Newton.  Will eventually check out Stark...thanks for info.

Hoyt Powermax  it is.  Leaving for vacation and will only have one chance to practice for 1 hour just prior to Oct 19th test.  Other than 8 arrows I just fired for fitting and sight adjustment that one hour is really my first time shooting.  It seems I have nothing to lose by taking the test (3 out of 5 in vital area).  Anything I missed in terms of if I fail?  Ie. Penalty box?  Didn’t find anything on internet but thought I would ask. Thx

Bought 6 arrows and one of them went thru shaft of other...splitting it.  Guy told me that is rare.  I said good group.  Already down to 5 arrows.

Also he set it for 50lbs.  Seems easy enough...no issues drawing it.  He said get used to 50lb, take test at 50, then progress up to more pounds.  He told me to practice drawing and slowly releasing at home to build muscles but not release bow.

Good on you for following through and starting out.  It's not easy but it is fun.  

Good luck if you go out this season.  Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.  I'm currently shooting a crossbow but will be transitioning to a trad/longbow in the next month or so if all goes to plan.  

12 hours ago, tblant said:

Thanks.  It is exciting. I’m 51 and always wanted to do this...late start.  Started running and doing push-ups.  But I am having an IPA as I type this...that won’t change.

Heh.  I'm not far behind.  

I registered for the test this a Sunday.  I went to an indoor range in Saddle Brook which is 45 mins away.  I shot high groups by 6 inches at 20 yards.  They are loose groups but all were high.  I then aimed at bottom of paper target and they hit on the bullseye level...just all a round it though but not bad for a beginner.  I just gone done moving the top pin up slightly.  Going back tomorrow to see how I did and bringing an Allen wrench.  Still need to read the material, do a handbook and study.  Still exercising.

hopefully I pass Sunday.  If not, I will register for the next week but I am running out of time.  If I pass, I am immediately buying a target so I can practice outdoors at WMA and near home.

joe

On 11/5/2019 at 10:18 PM, tblant said:

I registered for the test this a Sunday.  I went to an indoor range in Saddle Brook which is 45 mins away.  I shot high groups by 6 inches at 20 yards.  They are loose groups but all were high.  I then aimed at bottom of paper target and they hit on the bullseye level...just all a round it though but not bad for a beginner.  I just gone done moving the top pin up slightly.  Going back tomorrow to see how I did and bringing an Allen wrench.  Still need to read the material, do a handbook and study.  Still exercising.

hopefully I pass Sunday.  If not, I will register for the next week but I am running out of time.  If I pass, I am immediately buying a target so I can practice outdoors at WMA and near home.

joe

Good deal.  Good luck.

Remember, those guys at the testing site want to pass you.  They really do.  With everything other than archery, all they are concerned about is safe handling.  Archery is about proficiency but I really do recommend you relax.  They want you in the woods.

It sounds like you need a sight adjustment.  No big deal.  FWIW, 50 is more than adequate for hunting. Don't kid yourself.  If I were to get another compound, I would buy a 40-50 and crank it tight which would probably put me at 51/52.  I'd hunt it for the rest of my life.  

Take a good look at Stark Archery in Hackensack.  Jay is an excellent instructor.  He can get you squared away.  Good critique without making you feel like a complete mess.  If you want to meet up there on a Sunday, drop me a PM.  

Thanks Bully.  After adjusting top pin as high as it will go I am still shooting high groups.  After Googling it appears my peep sight might need adjustment.  At this point I plan on aiming low this Sunday and seeing how it goes.  Not ideal but I won’t have time to have anyone look at it prior.  Then regardless whether I pass or not I will sign up the next week for a lesson and tuning. 

1 hour ago, tblant said:

Thanks Bully.  After adjusting top pin as high as it will go I am still shooting high groups.  After Googling it appears my peep sight might need adjustment.  At this point I plan on aiming low this Sunday and seeing how it goes.  Not ideal but I won’t have time to have anyone look at it prior.  Then regardless whether I pass or not I will sign up the next week for a lesson and tuning. 

For lessons, as said, I recommend Stark.

For tuning/adjustment, Targeteers or the shop where you purchased.  

Good luck.

I passed, but it wasn’t pretty.  I forgot to aim low on my first shot and it went 10 inches higher than my point of aim.  I actually aimed where the target meets the ground for the rest and it took the remaining 4 arrows to pass.  Ugly grouping...one inside circle on left, one inside circle on right side and one in middle.  I need some lessons and lots of practice for sure.  

the written part was easy.  

1 hour ago, tblant said:

I passed, but it wasn’t pretty.  I forgot to aim low on my first shot and it went 10 inches higher than my point of aim.  I actually aimed where the target meets the ground for the rest and it took the remaining 4 arrows to pass.  Ugly grouping...one inside circle on left, one inside circle on right side and one in middle.  I need some lessons and lots of practice for sure.  

the written part was easy.  

You passed.  The deer won't care either way.  Congratulations.