dilbert1967

PA real estate hunting

I'm interested in how those who made the move to PA began the process.  Whether it be a 55 plus retirement community, a smaller home located in a small town, or something else. 

For example, if looking in a retirement community, at what point did you ask if having firearms in your home violate the Home Owner's Agreement?  I don't think I'd have a problem with that issue when dealing with a standalone house in town.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The Pennsylvania constitution has a statement that is at least as strong as the second amendment.  Do what I will be doing in the next 1 to 2 years:  Find an area you like and you can afford and enjoy freedom not found in the garden state.  Aside from some limitations in some areas on not being able to shoot on one's property for purposes other than self defense, enjoy your future freedom!

I lived in a private Pennsylvania community that only allowed for self defense use, and I would move back to that same community in a heartbeat. 

Many of the HOAs put their rules/regs up on the web. 

Some are very general and relatively innocuous....essentially don't be a jerk and you'll be fine.  Some are very restrictive; even concerning themselves with the 'approved' colors for exterior paint.  Most say no to hunting/shooting on the property.

Read them BEFORE you buy! 

6 hours ago, dilbert1967 said:

I'm interested in how those who made the move to PA began the process.  Whether it be a 55 plus retirement community, a smaller home located in a small town, or something else. 

For example, if looking in a retirement community, at what point did you ask if having firearms in your home violate the Home Owner's Agreement?  I don't think I'd have a problem with that issue when dealing with a standalone house in town.

Any advice would be appreciated.

HOA's cannot really enforce "no firearms" in the home.

I do know they have no discharge laws for HOAs AND not even fireworks... those bastards. =P

That is why we have a house on nearly 2 acres in a development with no HOA.

Also depends on the area as well...

Poconos is NYC West, Philly is Yuppie,  The rest is Kentucky.

In Kentucky you can pretty much do whatever you want.

I am in Lehigh Valley and I know of a few other members in the area as well.