mustang69

New find - Star M43 Firestar

Hi all,

Was in the LGS yesterday and saw this in the case.  Studied it for a bit at the counter then decided I should rescue it and take it home.

Star Firestar M43 version (so 9mm) and frankly it looks like a 1911 compact and a CZ got together and produced this offspring.  The frame and controls are very 1911-like and the slide and rails are all CZ.  I think this one is from 1993, so near the end of production.  The finish is in nice shape, no peeling or major scratches.  A few handling marks from being carried, but honest wear.  Came with a second mag and a IWB holster, the box, papers and cleaning tools.  The pic doesn't show the scale, it's about the same size as a Kimber micro-9 but wider, and a lot heavier.

I was starting to get away from collecting guns I wouldn't shoot much, but I guess not.  It was too cheap to pass up.

Anyone have any experience with these?  Is there a fan base for these things?  Not really valuable, but easily collectible for a couple hundred $$$.

Star M43 Firestar.JPG

Maks,

Yes, it does remind me of the '90's S&W now that you mention it - just in 3/4 scale.

There are so many things outdated on it's design compared to today's standards, but back when it was made it was probably pretty cool.  There wasn't much available in the semi-auto subcompact concealed carry back then, and there is a lot of info on the interwebs about how this was handgun of the year in 1991 from Guns & Ammo. 

I need to get it to the range to see how it shoots.  My bet is recoil is fairly tame considering the low bore axis and heavy weight.  Maybe I'll put it into the carry rotation and see how it goes.  With the weight I'll certainly know it's there.

Dean