AVB-AMG

Country Music Documentary by Ken Burns & PBS

Has anyone here been watching the documentary by Ken Burns on PBS, titled: COUNTRY MUSIC?

I recently just finished watching the last of the eight (8) – 2 hour episodes and have to say that I was truly amazed with what I learned and the wonderful stories told by those intimately involved in the country music industry.  This documentary took over 8 years to write and compile.  It included never before release film footage, fascinating interviews and of course, an amazing soundtrack of some of the most important, influential and popular songs in the country music genre.  I have never really listened to country music, other than the tunes that crossed over to the popular music charts, but have to say that I found this series to be absolutely mesmerizing.  Previously, I had glibly and ignorantly characterized country music as “cry in your beer” music.  While some songs certainly have that slow melancholy lyrics and story line, it was not a fair generalization on my part.  I can now agree with the statement made by the legendary Nashville song writer Harlan Howard, who said: “country music is three chords and the truth….”  Also, Merle Haggard said that “country music is more that just a fiddle, banjo, guitar, melody and lyrics…...it is a feeling".  Ultimately, country music has two recurring themes: love and loss and the simplicity of country music is its true powerful appeal.

I think most of us can agree that there is something about music that ignites the soul.  I was captivated to learn all about this uniquely American music genre.  The film starts at the creation of country music in the late 1920’s describing where the influences came from and how the genesis was embodied in the songs and stories first written and performed by a few artists.  The music was influenced by black spiritual and Gospel music, as well as traditional folk songs brought to the U.S. by immigrants from the Ireland, Scotland and Wales.  The boom really started with Jimmie Rogers, (referred to as the Saturday night partying entertainment) and the Carter Family, (referred to as the Sunday morning seeking forgiveness inspiration musicians).  It goes on to explain the tedious process to find other country music songs and musicians and record them, followed by growing broadcast radio stations that featured them.  I learned how country music has evolved over the past century, including many aspects of various genres within its domain, including, hillbilly, honky-tonk, bluegrass, outlaw, smooth country, countrypolitan, pop country and country rock.  It always seemed to be wrestling with maintaining their traditions, while also evolving and growing to appeal to a larger audience and sell more records, increasing profitability.  I was amazed to learn that the Willie Nelson-written song “Crazy”, performed so magically by Patsy Cline, is to this day, the number one chosen juke box song.  Country music could arguably be considered, along with rhythm & blues, to be the parent of American rock and roll music.  I really had no idea how important country music was to and influenced folks like Bob Dylan, Ray Charles, The Beatles and The Rolling Stones.

It was a real pleasure to learn about the growth and private and professional lives of so many talented country music artists, including the Carter Family, Jimmie Rogers, Bill Monroe, Gene Autry, Roy Acuff, Bill Willis, Hank Williams, Earl Scruggs, The Everly Brothers, Patsy Cline, Charlie Pride, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, Loretta Lynn, Tammy Wynette, Kris Kristofferson, The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band, Waylon Jennings, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Emmylou Harris, Willie Nelson, George Strait, Reba McEntire, Randy Travis and Garth Brooks…. the list goes on….

I was not expecting to gain such a new respect and admiration for this music genre that I now have.  One final message that I took away from this excellent documentary is that through the appeal of country music is the realization that it is about stories about all of us and therefore, there is no “them”.

FYI, this documentary is still available to see on PBS stations, as well as via Amazon Prime.  The DVD’s can also be purchased either from PBS, Amazon or from Ken Burns web page.

AVB-AMG

No, I haven't seen it... but now I'd like to! Good write-up, AVB. :) Burns is a terrific filmmaker. So thorough and such a magical story-teller... he could make the history of … MUD... sound utterly fascinating IMO.

I'm not a big country music fan. It's just not my genre. That said, there are a few classic country singers that I think were just great - Johnny Cash and Patsy Cline at the top of that list. And I always thought Willie Nelson's voice had a beautiful and unique quality and he was a wonderful songwriter to boot. And though there are also some that I'm not crazy about their singing per se - like Dolly Parton (too high-pitched and squeaky for me) or Loretta Lynn (too twangy) - my god, it's hard not to appreciate their amazing, prolific song-writing skills! Those last 2 have been cranking out songs (including many hits) for themselves and other singers for 60 years! Lots of talent.

I'll add that series to my "must see" list... I have Amazon Prime.

24 minutes ago, Handyman said:

16 hours of lost love, broken down pickup trucks and dead dogs? I'd need a bottle of whiskey on hand. 

That might be, but you have to give the titles credit. Two of my favorites: "She Got The Mine; I Got The Shaft" and "I Like My Women A Little On The Trashy Side."

Or, "Somebody Slap Me (I'm Way Too Happy!)" That one requires listening to the lyrics. John Anderson.

To me country music is songs about real life, and the lyrics are intelligible. Generally speaking after 1970 I like about 40-50% of it.

P.S. Possibly the all time winner: "You Ain't Much Fun Since I Quit Drinkin'" That might be Handyman.

• Like 1