Underdog

Vintage Mountain Bikes

Is anybody a fan of vintage chromoly steel butted mountain bikes or hybrids, either in stock or comfort-bike setup?  

Don't think I'd term myself a fan, but I still have mine, even though it hasn't been ridden in probably two decades LOL. It's a Marin Eldridge Grade done in white with neon pink, green and yellow spatters.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

I’m not a fan on chromoly frames, but I have a vintage Giant ATX 890 John Tomac aluminum frame. 

I modernized the gear train, fork (Rock Shox Reba Team), and wheelset. 
Slick ride and surprisingly light!

B43C6484-68A5-4D43-BF7A-82916AA3059C.jpeg

• Like 1

On 10/7/2019 at 6:49 PM, Pizza Bob said:

Don't think I'd term myself a fan, but I still have mine, even though it hasn't been ridden in probably two decades LOL. It's a Marin Eldridge Grade done in white with neon pink, green and yellow spatters.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a Marin Bear Valley.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Aluminum Alloy frames as long as you realize that the stress adds up.  

However a light double or triple-butted chromoly frame may lose some of the energy when riding, but the ride is sweet with that spring in the frame.  

I agree, just ride.  I love riding in the autumn when the leaves are changing and there is a slight chill.  I imagine that hunters would be able to find Pizza Bob.  My Marin is a a titanium gray.  I also have a vintage Rockhopper, and I would love to get a Trek 750 Hybrid.  I would also like to find a nice Trek Singletrack 950 or 970. 

On 10/7/2019 at 7:18 PM, Displaced Texan said:

I’m not a fan on chromoly frames, but I have a vintage Giant ATX 890 John Tomac aluminum frame. 

I modernized the gear train, fork (Rock Shox Reba Team), and wheelset. 
Slick ride and surprisingly light!

B43C6484-68A5-4D43-BF7A-82916AA3059C.jpeg

Nice.

I only knew about John Tomac because of his son Eli who just won his third outdoor  450 motocross championship.  Kid is super tough.  Endurance of a freight train.  Gets a lot of it from his dad.

My old boss had a brazed (I believe) steel Bontrager in "Pink Camo" that I would love to own.  I'd want the frame to hang on the wall as I have not ridden in years.  Probably kill my self trying.  I came relatively close back when I did ride and I have a lot more weight to have land on my neck going over the bars nowadays.  

Given my mobility and balance issues, I'm not sure that I could still competently ride a bicycle, however, I really didn't want to give up riding - so, while I have put in very little time on my new conveyance - I still wanted to have the option of whether to ride or not. This was my solution...

Catrike-Trail.jpg

Catrike Trail

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I have a Mongoose Pro from like the early 2000's (don't know if it qualifies as "vintage"?? It's still serving me well and I love how it handles and rides.

Two things I really like is the monoshock rear suspension that I can dial in to change the ride, along with the adjustable front shocks. The other is the disc brakes, that aren't affected by water and mud.

e65930a49be34eefa410565fb19ed0f2.jpg

On 10/9/2019 at 9:31 AM, Zeke said:

I have a single tube specialized I think from 2000. Upgrade every thing, added disks. I used to ride it all the time.

Prices on new mtb’s are $tupid! Holy kamole

My wife is pissed I’m spending $400 to get the 2003 Trek 8500 fixed up. Most of that is to replace the disc brakes.  I hadn’t ridden it in ten years and the hydraulic fluid gelled to the point it all had to be replaced. 

she would have spent the money to get a huffy from amazon. 

15 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

My wife is pissed I’m spending $400 to get the 2003 Trek 8500 fixed up. Most of that is to replace the disc brakes.  I hadn’t ridden it in ten years and the hydraulic fluid gelled to the point it all had to be replaced. 

she would have spent the money to get a huffy from amazon. 

Magura blood? @carl_g

If you're curious, you can follow along my resto thread of my old Ross Force 1. I've owned it since new back in '83 and thought it'd be fun to bring it back to clean, operational status.

https://www.mtbnj.com/forum/threads/vintage-mtb-resto-1980s-ross-force-1-mt-hood.48969/

4 hours ago, Zeke said:

The “ brake fluid”was most likely mineral oil you can get at cvs

What I was told is that it had congealed to the point it couldn’t be flushed and had gummed everything up. Was more cost effective to replace. 

9 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

What I was told is that it had congealed to the point it couldn’t be flushed and had gummed everything up. Was more cost effective to replace. 

Eh, brakes are overrated. Live on the edge of moms  basement, V9