Zeus2112

Purchase permit background check

So I'm waiting on my second batch of permits (already received some and made a successful purchase). Was told by NJSP that they did the background check and it was "ok", and sent to local police.

I'm wondering, does this mean I should be approved? That there are no other checks by the local police? I ask because I have not received the automated update from the NJ portal and my local PD says the background check has not be completed yet.

any insight would be great

thanks

Guess it depends on which municipality is handling your process. Some towns seem to add additional paperwork or process into it even though its technically illegal to do so.  In my town, once everything comes back to the local PD from the state as OK ..I was told they then do a quick local background check. Then they issue the permits/FID etc. 

On 10/9/2019 at 3:12 PM, Lakota said:

Guess it depends on which municipality is handling your process. Some towns seem to add additional paperwork or process into it even though its technically illegal to do so.  In my town, once everything comes back to the local PD from the state as OK ..I was told they then do a quick local background check. Then they issue the permits/FID etc. 

thanks, and just an update on this...Im still waiting. I went into the PD over a week ago, paid for the 2 permits and was told that they still need to do their background check. (whatever that means). this seems like a long time to be waiting, no?

It depends.   in reality it should take no more than 30 days as per the law but we all know that is a load of crap.   Seems like it all depends on where you live and timing.   My last batches that I got were 92 days, 45 days, and 84 days respectively.   Currently have my latest batch in process now using the new online FARS system.  Its been 20 days and counting since submission.  You can always submit your info to the ANJRPC strikeforce as well:   https://www.anjrpc.org/page/A_Strikeforce   I believe they are still doing it as they would routinely send out legal letters to the municipalities and PD's that seem to be dragging their feet reminding them of the laws.  Not sure if it helps or not but there is that.

4 minutes ago, Lakota said:

It depends.   in reality it should take no more than 30 days as per the law but we all know that is a load of crap.   Seems like it all depends on where you live and timing.   My last batches that I got were 92 days, 45 days, and 84 days respectively.   Currently have my latest batch in process now using the new online FARS system.  Its been 20 days and counting since submission.  You can always submit your info to the ANJRPC strikeforce as well:   https://www.anjrpc.org/page/A_Strikeforce   I believe they are still doing it as they would routinely send out legal letters to the municipalities and PD's that seem to be dragging their feet reminding them of the laws.  Not sure if it helps or not but there is that.

Interesting!...

I didn't realize it could take that long! My first go-round, when I had to get my FID plus getting my permits—only took a month or so. I may drop those guys an email to see what they say. Thanks for the tip