Roveer

How do I deal with an inheritited firearm?

My wife, who's parents both passed away this year is going to inherit a rifle (Weatherby Mark V) that was owned by her father.  Our family doesn't currently have any guns and don't want any so we have no permits or licenses.  From what I have read (including some stuff on NJ State Police website) would appear to say that we don't need to have any permits or licenses to take possession of this weapon (we are not on the list of people who aren't allowed to have weapons).

We will sell this gun to a gun dealer once we have it.

So my simple questions are:

1. Can we take possession of this gun without any permits or licenses?

2. Can we sell this gun to a licensed gun dealer/broker without any special permits or licenses?

3. Is there anything else that needs to be done, or that I don't understand?

It's a current gun, not antique.  Not a handgun.

Thanks.

Roveer

10 minutes ago, Roveer said:

1. Can we take possession of this gun without any permits or licenses?

2. Can we sell this gun to a licensed gun dealer/broker without any special permits or licenses?

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Transport it in a secure package or in a trunk directly to the dealer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

We have sort of an unwritten rule here that you must tell us what you’re selling to give us first crack at it. Sort of in gratitude for free advice. In fact why not just PM me the items and I’ll tell you if it’s worth the effort. It may save you the embarrassment. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Roveer said:

Does this also apply to handguns or are the rules different for smaller firearms?

On 10/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Roveer said:

The rules are the same for both. Without Firearms ID card you must go from where you take possession of the evil weapon straight to your home or to the dealer you are selling it to!

Ensure it is unloaded and that any ammo is in a separate container. 

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

The rules are the same for both. Without Firearms ID card you must go from where you take possession of the evil weapon straight to your home or to the dealer you are selling it to!

Ensure it is unloaded and that any ammo is in a separate container. 

That is how it seems these days.  While guns are not my thing,  I strongly support the right of those who wish to own and use them (responsibly).  I also don't want to end up in jail which is why I'm asking.

Thanks for the replies.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Roveer said:

That is how it seems these days.  While guns are not my thing,  I strongly support the right of those who wish to own and use them (responsibly).  I also don't want to end up in jail which is why I'm asking.

Glad to hear that! We are really good people here. There are those who like to paint lawful gun owners as a bunch of dangerous wackos when we are in fact the exact opposite!  

I admit to the  use of "evil rifle" in my response was somewhat sarcastic but it is due to the fact that many post here to try to set us up and it's increasingly difficult to tell from what angle a new poster is coming from. The advice we gave is very good and you won't have any trouble if you follow it.

Going straight to and from while transporting is the law with all guns in your case with having no NJFID card. If you had one, that rule would only apply to handguns.

If you ever want to know more about a really fun hobby,  remember this site.  You will never find a nicer or more knowledgeable group of gun enthusiasts anywhere! :)

Sorry for you loss.:(

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Glad to hear that! We are really good people here. There are those who like to paint lawful gun owners as a bunch of dangerous wackos when we are in fact the exact opposite!  

I admit to the  use of "evil rifle" in my response was somewhat sarcastic but it is due to the fact that many post here to try to set us up and it's increasingly difficult to tell from what angle a new poster is coming from. The advice we gave is very good and you won't have any trouble if you follow it.

Going straight to and from while transporting is the law with all guns in your case with having no NJFID card. If you had one, that rule would only apply to handguns.

If you ever want to know more about a really fun hobby,  remember this site.  You will never find a nicer or more knowledgeable group of gun enthusiasts anywhere! :)

I can fully understand the skepticism.  I'm sure there are people who arrive here just to pick a fight.  My life has me in the middle of raising 4 children in a society that is becoming more and more devoid of rules and law.  This will be the downfall of our existence.  I'd rather have structure to live by, fight the things I'm not happy about, but feel protected in the fact that we followed the rules.  It's a very hard thing to teach at home considering what they are learning at school these days.  Now my wife...  she makes it up as she goes.  We have lots of go arounds about that.  I call it the kitchen sink defense.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Roveer said:

I can fully understand the skepticism.  I'm sure there are people who arrive here just to pick a fight.  My life has me in the middle of raising 4 children in a society that is becoming more and more devoid of rules and law.  This will be the downfall of our existence.  I'd rather have structure to live by, fight the things I'm not happy about, but feel protected in the fact that we followed the rules.  It's a very hard thing to teach at home considering what they are learning at school these days.  Now my wife...  she makes it up as she goes.  We have lots of go arounds about that.  I call it the kitchen sink defense.

I could not even fathom being a parent of school age children today!  My children are grown and have children of their own now. My grand kids are 6 years old and younger and my 6 year old grandson corrected me when I mentioned Columbus Day and said he discovered America.  He said "He didn't discover America because the people were already here"!  God help us! :(

19 hours ago, Roveer said:

...Now my wife...  she makes it up as she goes.  We have lots of go arounds about that.  I call it the kitchen sink defense.

Be very careful about using the kitchen sink defense. One of these times, your willy is going to end up in the running garbage disposal!

• Haha 1

On 10/9/2019 at 8:47 PM, Roveer said:

My wife, who's parents both passed away this year is going to inherit a rifle (Weatherby Mark V) that was owned by her father.  Our family doesn't currently have any guns and don't want any so we have no permits or licenses.  From what I have read (including some stuff on NJ State Police website) would appear to say that we don't need to have any permits or licenses to take possession of this weapon (we are not on the list of people who aren't allowed to have weapons).

We will sell this gun to a gun dealer once we have it.

So my simple questions are:

1. Can we take possession of this gun without any permits or licenses?

Thanks.

Roveer

Find someone in the family that will actually appreciate it and make sure that that person has at least dibs on it if he or she wants to pay whatever the dealer was going to offer you.  OR, store it away safetly for a grandchild that might be interested in it in the future.  

Or, if you are a Democrat, you can always go find a buyback going on somewhere.