Noobwithquestions

Displaying my AR

Hey All,

This is my first time here so not sure if it’s the right place. I just recently purchased my first custom AR 15 type build and they sent me a standing display that goes in like a magazine.

Can I have my gun out on display in my home if there is no ammo or magazine in it? Do I have to have it locked up in safe? I don’t know what the laws actually are.

Thank you for any help.

There is no law against what you propose. At the moment there is no specific storage law in NJ other than making sure children never have access. 

I suggest however that you consider that NJ is a gun hostile environment. Who will be able to see your 'display', either from inside or outside your house? Do you really want each and every one of those potential viewers to know what you have? And possible subsequent access?

Also, I would not leave it on display anytime I was out of the house. Then it would be locked up.

I'm sure you're proud of your acquisition and would like to show it off. Balance that against the other risks it involves. As for me, I once had the need to 'display'. But it passed quickly, as it did with other personal items.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

There is no law against what you propose. At the moment there is no specific storage law in NJ other than making sure children never have access....

2C:58-15. Minor's access to a loaded firearm; penalty, conditions

1. a. A person who knows or reasonably should know that a minor is likely to gain access to a loaded firearm at a premises under the person's control commits a disorderly persons offense if a minor gains access to the firearm, unless the person:

.... (1) Stores the firearm in a securely locked box or container;

.... (2) Stores the firearm in a location which a reasonable person would believe to be secure; or

.... (3) Secures the firearm with a trigger lock.

b. This section shall not apply:

.... (1) To activities authorized by section 14 of P.L.1979, c.179, (C.2C:58-6.1), concerning the lawful use of a firearm by a minor; or

.... (2) Under circumstances where a minor obtained a firearm as a result of an unlawful entry by any person. c. As used in this act, "minor" means a person under the age of 16.

1 hour ago, Noobwithquestions said:

Hey All,

This is my first time here so not sure if it’s the right place. I just recently purchased my first custom AR 15 type build and they sent me a standing display that goes in like a magazine.

Can I have my gun out on display in my home if there is no ammo or magazine in it? Do I have to have it locked up in safe? I don’t know what the laws actually are.

Thank you for any help.

In your house you "can" do whatever you want (but if you have kids in the house you're stupid to do it IMO).

"Should" you do it is a different question.

I prefer to keep a low profile and don't display any firearms/firearms related stuff in the areas of the house that a visitor/casual guest would be.  My friends and family are aware that I shoot, and if you're invited further into the home (particularly the man cave) you may notice reloading supplies, cases, etc, but never any firearms.

It's nobody's business what I have or how much I have, so i choose not to display things.  I also don't want to advertise to mailmen, delivery people, solicitors, plumbers, electricians, etc that there are firearms around for them to steal when I'm not home.

• Agree 2

I briefly considered a nice wall display of my collection, sans ammo.  I was changing around my home office and thought they would look cool on the wall behind my new desk.

Then I thought of my  niece and nephew falling under that 'kid" category, and that the parents are pretty much antis.  And those kids are all over the place every holiday gathering.  No tellling if they would even notice, but the parents sure would.  I could imagine getting at least a sudden visit from the 10 town cops who have nothing better to do, or worse.  I put up beer neon instead.  Nobody seems to mind that, nor the slot machine.

(the office would have been in close proximity to be basement rec room, to explain the choice of replacements).   All the scary stuff is well locked up elsewhere.

But if no kids ever came over, might be a different story.  That was then.  Now with the red flag nonsense, I could imagine getting into a heated poilitical discussion with a brother-in-law...and then Knock Knock a few days after the picnic.

Guys, this OP just registered a few hours ago. You should really hold off on responding until they build up some history. We are constantly "probed" by people from the outside, looking to see what type of information we share.

The OP hasn't been back in 10 hours, since their initial two posts, for any follow-up questions.

21 hours ago, Sniper said:

Guys, this OP just registered a few hours ago. You should really hold off on responding until they build up some history. We are constantly "probed" by people from the outside,

I like being probed. Just the other day I went for a check up and the guy stuck a finger up my butt. 

I'm pretty loyal to him, but my wife thinks I should find a new dentist.

• Haha 2
  • FacePalm 1

31 minutes ago, Handyman said:

I like being probed. Just the other day I went for a check up and the guy stuck a finger up my butt. 

I'm pretty loyal to him, but my wife thinks I should find a new dentist.

Wow, that joke reminds me of Rodney Dangerfield!

On 10/10/2019 at 9:33 PM, Sniper said:

Guys, this OP just registered a few hours ago. You should really hold off on responding until they build up some history. We are constantly "probed" by people from the outside, looking to see what type of information we share.

The OP hasn't been back in 10 hours, since their initial two posts, for any follow-up questions.

...and he hasn't been back since

• Like 1