Hey All,

This is my first time here so not sure if it’s the right place. I just recently purchased my first custom AR 15 type build and they sent me a standing display that goes in like a magazine.

Can I have my gun out on display in my home if there is no ammo or magazine in it? Do I have to have it locked up in safe? I don’t know what the laws actually are.

Thank you for any help

As long as it is not loaded AND accessable to a minor, store it how you like.  Put it on your coffee table if it floats your  boat.

NJ 2C:58-15

https://codes.findlaw.com/nj/title-2c-the-new-jersey-code-of-criminal-justice/nj-st-sect-2c-58-15.html

I personally would not put a firearm anywhere that can be seen from outside.  A firearm visible is a great target for a theif.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

You spent so much money on a custom build that they gave you a stand-up table display for it?

And with all of that money spent, you ask IF it's "legal" to display it?

WOW, just WOW!

I'm copying my post from the OP's other thread:

Guys, this OP just registered a few hours ago. You should really hold off on responding until they build up some history. We are constantly "probed" by people from the outside, looking to see what type of information we share.

The OP hasn't been back in 10 hours, since their initial two posts, for any follow-up questions.

19 hours ago, Sniper said:

Guys, this OP just registered a few hours ago. You should really hold off on responding until they build up some history. We are constantly "probed" by people from the outside, looking to see what type of information we share.

The OP hasn't been back in 10 hours, since their initial two posts, for any follow-up questions.

They won't want to build up any history if they come here and post questions and everybody ignores them. 

12 minutes ago, Regular Guy said:

They won't want to build up any history if they come here and post questions and everybody ignores them. 

Except, in BOTH of the threads he started, he got a bunch of answers, and still hasn't come back with any follow-up posts to show if he's legit....

So......

• Like 1

Maybe it's time for a test to get in here?  I'm tired of being "probed by ALIENS"...

Meaning, you don't ask a question & then just LURK like a JERK!  You get involved.  The last couple of months seem to have been quite interesting in terms of new people having advanced questions requiring complicated answers.  Take this one for instance.  The FFL that transferred the rifle to the OP would be the FIRST person to ask about display modes, storage, etc., wouldn't they?

I just washed my blue jeans.  Is it OK if I hang them on the clothes line to dry or do I need special permission from the Chief of Police?  The store where I bought the jeans gave me free laundry soap , 100' of rope & clothes pins.  So is it REALLY ok to use them?

~R

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Tried to agree, like, and laugh to your post @Smokin .50 but only could do one.

Thanks Paul!  We now return to lurking in silence & awaiting the next ALIEN PROBE :) 

~R

On 10/10/2019 at 11:18 AM, Noobwithquestions said:

Hey All,

This is my first time here so not sure if it’s the right place. I just recently purchased my first custom AR 15 type build and they sent me a standing display that goes in like a magazine.

Can I have my gun out on display in my home if there is no ammo or magazine in it? Do I have to have it locked up in safe? I don’t know what the laws actually are.

Thank you for any help

Screen Name sure checks out.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2019 at 4:43 PM, Smokin .50 said:

You spent so much money on a custom build that they gave you a stand-up table display for it?

And with all of that money spent, you ask IF it's "legal" to display it?

WOW, just WOW!

Stop being a douche... guy is obviously new.  Not really in the spirit of your org. =P

• Agree 1

On 10/10/2019 at 10:25 PM, Sniper said:

That is a completely wrong mentality and against the spirit of why the community exists.

Yes, majority of the people visiting here are here to learn and very few actually have the will or nerves to register to ask a question... at the fear of being called an idiot @Smokin .50.

As gun owners we say "there is no such thing as a stupid question" when it comes to firearms, yet some old timers can't help but be internet commandos themselves.

Yes, I did check out the username and email and it is a legit person.  

@Sniper holding off answering the question is ridiculous especially as those answers are going to answer 5 or 10 others who have the same question but did not know to ask it, were afraid to ask it at the fear of sounding stupid,  or will ask in 3 or 4 years finding it on Google.  Or do you suggest they go post 20 things about why Trump is great and democrats are stupid before they are allowed to ask gun questions?

• Agree 4
  • Haha 1

@Maksim I don't name-call.  I respectfully disagree.  There are plenty of stupid questions.  Trolls use them as bait.

If this guy is legit, so be it.  Many aren't.  Some are even prohibited persons.  We're constantly being "probed" by crazier & crazier questions from who knows where.  Moms Demand?  OAG?  All of the above?

My apologies if my rough outsides didn't expose my tender "Mentor" middle.  Every once in a while I still have a sweaty flashback of a dude hunting a 300 pound hog at 25 yards w/ a .338 Lapua Magnum & heat imaging scope that ran North of $14K & weighed-in at 30 pounds.  Missed two shots & hit the hog in the ham on a quartering-away shot, blowing-out the entire opposite shoulder.  It was GONE!  When we got what was left of the animal to the butcher, the butcher asked me, "Does he like bone in his sausage?".

Maybe Lapua Boy should have asked some stupid questions?  Like "do I need a tarp so my BMW X3 mini SUV doesn't get filled with pig blood & melting ice"?  (Luckily the guide service we hired had some spare tarps!)

It's worth a cup of coffee to make this right.  I'll send a PM.

~R

• Agree 3

2 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

@Maksim I don't name-call.  I respectfully disagree.  There are plenty of stupid questions.  Trolls use them as bait.

If this guy is legit, so be it.  Many aren't.  Some are even prohibited persons.  We're constantly being "probed" by crazier & crazier questions from who knows where.  Moms Demand?  OAG?  All of the above?

My apologies if my rough outsides didn't expose my tender "Mentor" middle.  Every once in a while I still have a sweaty flashback of a dude hunting a 300 pound hog at 25 yards w/ a .338 Lapua Magnum & heat imaging scope that ran North of $14K & weighed-in at 30 pounds.  Missed two shots & hit the hog in the ham on a quartering-away shot, blowing-out the entire opposite shoulder.  It was GONE!  When we got what was left of the animal to the butcher, the butcher asked me, "Does he like bone in his sausage?".

Maybe Lapua Boy should have asked some stupid questions?  Like "do I need a tarp so my BMW X3 mini SUV doesn't get filled with pig blood & melting ice"?  (Luckily the guide service we hired had some spare tarps!)

It's worth a cup of coffee to make this right.  I'll send a PM.

~R

Walk away 

• Agree 1

I feel I need to jump in because this is getting ridiculous. First, thank you to the people that actually helped and answered my question. To the people with their smart ass comments and the ones with their crazy theories, maybe just keep those to yourself.

This is my first AR so I was not sure of the rules. Instead of buying a cheap one damn well knowing I’d want to start upgrading it right away(it’s my personality) I decided to go straight for the higher end build. They sent me a table top stand(fancy fake mag attached to a cut out base) that I can insert the rifle and display it.

I do know jersey has crazy stupid laws so was just checking if I could actually display it. Again, thank you to the people that honestly replied and helped me out.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Maksim said:

@Sniper holding off answering the question is ridiculous especially as those answers are going to answer 5 or 10 others who have the same question but did not know to ask it, were afraid to ask it at the fear of sounding stupid,  or will ask in 3 or 4 years finding it on Google.  Or do you suggest they go post 20 things about why Trump is great and democrats are stupid before they are allowed to ask gun questions?

Oh boy, part of that I won't even touch..

I understand the part about stupid questions (and I believe the only stupid question is one not asked), but come on, you know better than all of us, for every legit "stupid question" posted here by a newbie, there are TONS of "one hit wonders" that do a single "post and run", never to be heard from again. Like Rosie said above, many of those are "probing" questions by the "enemy". Remember what state most of us live in?????

Unless the OP comes back right away with a follow-up question or reply, how do we know if it's a legit "stupid question" or a "prober", where "shooting from the hip with responses" can have the wrong impression, or worse....

The OP finally came back (above), 8 days later, with an additional post, after starting two new threads with the same question a week ago. So, I don't think (either does Rosie) that it's a problem to be "cautious" with replies to newbies until we know more information, specially considering the hostile state we live in.

7 hours ago, Noobwithquestions said:

I feel I need to jump in because this is getting ridiculous. First, thank you to the people that actually helped and answered my question. To the people with their smart ass comments and the ones with their crazy theories, maybe just keep those to yourself.

This is my first AR so I was not sure of the rules. Instead of buying a cheap one damn well knowing I’d want to start upgrading it right away(it’s my personality) I decided to go straight for the higher end build. They sent me a table top stand(fancy fake mag attached to a cut out base) that I can insert the rifle and display it.

I do know jersey has crazy stupid laws so was just checking if I could actually display it. Again, thank you to the people that honestly replied and helped me out.

Taylor ham or Porkroll?

So if the "enemy" is "probing" us with questions what's wrong with giving the correct and LEGAL answer. Would that not show the probes, trolls, enemy, or who ever elce that were all legal law abiding gun owners on here? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, fishnut said:

So if the "enemy" is "probing" us with questions what's wrong with giving the correct and LEGAL answer. Would that not show the probes, trolls, enemy, or who ever elce that were all legal law abiding gun owners on here? 

No no no! We need mo tin foil!

9 minutes ago, JackDaWack said:

I just want to know what rifle comes with a stand. 

I ordered a custom build from F1 Firearms. I have a decent social media following so they threw in a stand for it. Here is a picture I took of their website so you can see the stand.

563C37C1-A0B6-43C9-B482-8862B01D24C6.png

• Like 1