Barms

cheapest way to send a Cat 5 signal.. tester..

I'm frustrated with why a network signal is not coming through an Ethernet port in my home wired network.    My router is in the basement and I was told every room has an Ethernet line to the "manifold thing" in the basement next to the router.   I have had much success plugging a desktop PC into the wall Ethernet in one bedroom.   I plugged my Sonos mesh router into another bedroom wall Ethernet port and it works.    Now I'm trying to set up another desktop PC into another wall Ethernet and its not getting the signal.   Now, the issue here I have like 13 inputs on that "manifold" thing in the basement.   And the guy didn't label which ports go up to each room.  I've literally gone up and down the stairs 50 times plugging and unplugging to try to see why this one room wont get an Ethernet signal.

So I'm trying to think of a way that I can originate a signal FROM the room down to the basement and then I could just easily plug in and out the various ports until I find the HOT one that is receiving the signal from that room.

Is an Ethernet transmitter tester thing really like hundreds of dollars?

thanks for you ideas.

are you sure that port is turned on,   you might have to log into your switch (manifold thing ) and turn that port on.  since you say your adding a device that port may never have been provisioned (turned on )

try switching a known good port with that one and see if the connected device works.     that the quickest way to check.

Sniper.   I guess I didn’t think of that tester as what would work.   So I would need two cables that I know work and then plug one end of the tester into the bedroom port.  Then I go into the basement patch panel and take another cable that I know works and then keep trying different ports until it lights up ?

i thought with these cheap testers you press a button and it’s goes green down the tree for each copper wire.   And I couldn’t use that I can’t be in two places at once.  

Do any others work that I can plug one in to the room and then walk to the other room and see if signal comes through ?

thank you for your help. 

3 minutes ago, Barms said:

Do any others work that I can plug one in to the room and then walk to the other room and see if signal comes through ?

Have you tried plugging another computer or laptop into the bedroom wall jack?  Also, look on the back of the PC and see if three is a light on where the network cable plugs into the computer.  It may not be the wiring at all, and the problem lies with a bad network card on the computer.

23 minutes ago, Barms said:

i thought with these cheap testers you press a button and it’s goes green down the tree for each copper wire.   And I couldn’t use that I can’t be in two places at once.  

Do any others work that I can plug one in to the room and then walk to the other room and see if signal comes through

I have that first one that sniper posted, the two parts come apart (third picture down in the amazon listing) and both sides have an RJ45 port. You plug one end of the cable into one side of the tester and take the other side to the other end of the cable (next room, next town, whatever). Then it checks continuity

I'm assuming his "manifold thing" is a patch panel.  You will need a tester like one linked above and a couple of good known working RJ45 patch cables to use. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ab3dMA0ksfk For those that don't know...

This is a patch panel... they come in various sizes and styles:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0020/4433/0057/articles/What_is_a_Patch_Panel_and_What_Is_Its_Purpose_300x300.jpg?v=1554980655

This is a network switch:, again various sizes, and styles:

https://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/cisco_sg112_24_na_sg112_24_110_series_24_port_1450349494_1204486.jpg

This is a punch down tool: 

https://images.homedepot-static.com/productImages/6c2dbfb9-1bfe-4b13-8075-d2e0e19f216c/svn/ideal-network-tools-cable-testers-35-485-64_1000.jpg

And wires get punched into the back of the patch panel, and any network jack using the punch tool:

https://www.handymanhowto.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Cat6-Ethernet-Jack-Punchdown-Wiring.jpg

There is a specific color code as to where each wire should be punched in .. so if it comes to that make sure to do a little research to know what goes where.  Its not hard at all.

• Agree 1

Update.   The $9 tester cane today.   The Ethernet port in the wall is fine.   It appears that maybe the port from the SWITCH I was using is bad!!   Mother f*cker.     Stay tuned.   But at least this tester is making sure my CABLES are functioning.  So now my issues are signal/switches.  

Thank you all for the help !!

56 minutes ago, Barms said:

Update.   The $9 tester cane today.   The Ethernet port in the wall is fine.   It appears that maybe the port from the SWITCH I was using is bad!!   Mother f*cker.     Stay tuned.   But at least this tester is making sure my CABLES are functioning.  So now my issues are signal/switches.  

You would be surprised how many times I have found a bad port on a switch!  Many times it's one of the first things I check when I have an issue!

1 hour ago, Barms said:

Well, that's better than a bad cable in the wall. Just plug it into a different port that's not being used from a different room.