Sign in to follow this  
Greenday

Modestly Priced LRR's - Time to Move Up

So, I think it's time for me to get a bigger caliber rifle. I love my RAR 5.56. Loading .223 ammo is cheap, fun, and I'm consistently hitting sub-MOA down to levels of even 0.7" or less a few times a few times at 100 yards. But thanks to having a chronometer, I know a lot more about the shortcomings of the 16" barrel. I'm losing about 250-300 fps which at 100 yards, who cares? But it'll definitely affect things the farther I go out. That much more drop, more time in the air means the more wind can push it around. Let me just give this example.

Theoretical load that would be 2850 fps initial velocity out of 24" barrel. Zeroed at 100 yards, a 52 SMK would drop 4.35 inches after 200 yards, 16.77 inches after 300 yards, 40.59 inches after 400 yards. 0.59 seconds. All assuming no wind.

With my 16" barrel, I'm seeing around 2550 fps initial velocity. Same conditions, the 52 SMK would drop 5.93 inches at 200 yards, 22.28 at 300 yards, 53.52 at 400 yards. And it takes 0.67 seconds to do that. Throw in a 10mph crosswind, that's 35.17 inches horizontal movement vs 29.80 inches.

So yes, I love my RAR. For the price, it's a stupid accurate rifle. But I just want to start varying my collection. I'd love to go to 6.5 PRC. Reloading dies are more common now and readily purchasable. Still fires 6.5mm bullets which are easy to get. Brass is the biggest issue I see right now. Hornandy is pretty much the only manufacturer of it and it's on backorder everywhere. And it needs a little more powder per round loaded. So I think the logical step up is 6.5 creedmoor.

Some of the rifles I've been looking at:

T/C LRR

Remington 700 PCR

Ruger Hawkeye Long-Range Target

That should pretty much give you guys an idea of what I'm after. Since I know no one with any of those three, I've never had a chance to shoot them. Any recommendations are welcome.

10 hours ago, Greenday said:

...Theoretical load that would be 2850 fps initial velocity out of 24" barrel. Zeroed at 100 yards, a 52 SMK would drop 4.35 inches after 200 yards, 16.77 inches after 300 yards, 40.59 inches after 400 yards. 0.59 seconds. All assuming no wind.

With my 16" barrel, I'm seeing around 2550 fps initial velocity. Same conditions, the 52 SMK would drop 5.93 inches at 200 yards, 22.28 at 300 yards, 53.52 at 400 yards. And it takes 0.67 seconds to do that. Throw in a 10mph crosswind, that's 35.17 inches horizontal movement vs 29.80 inches...

The Sierra 52 SMK is a fine 100yd match projectile, but that's where it ends.

Those of us who shoot full distance (200/300/600) Across the Course matches either use 77s all the way through, or 69s at 200 and 300 and 80s at 600

For the Frozen Nutz matches (300yd prone, single feed) most .223s will be shooting either 77s or 80s

Don't waste your time trying to push 52s to superior accuracy at 200 and 300. It's a fool's errand.

• Disagree 1

What twist is your 223?  
I shoot 80’s from a 7 twist at 600 pretty well for a guy that doesn’t shoot particularly well. 

I agree with you on the Creed vs the PRC. For around here it’s really not worth it. That said, I would also encourage you to look at a 6. Either a 6Creed or even a 243. Given that you reload, either are a great choice. 

I believe Peterson makes 6C brass. Others it’s a simple neck down and you’re ready to roll. 

Contact Nick at NE Reloading. He’s a Jersey guy with a really good selection of bullets. Email him for anything you don’t see listed. He carries more that his site says. 

Good luck. 

• Disagree 1

44 minutes ago, Bully said:

What twist is your 223?  
I shoot 80’s from a 7 twist at 600 pretty well for a guy that doesn’t shoot particularly well. 

I agree with you on the Creed vs the PRC. For around here it’s really not worth it. That said, I would also encourage you to look at a 6. Either a 6Creed or even a 243. Given that you reload, either are a great choice. 

I believe Peterson makes 6C brass. Others it’s a simple neck down and you’re ready to roll. 

Contact Nick at NE Reloading. He’s a Jersey guy with a really good selection of bullets. Email him for anything you don’t see listed. He carries more that his site says. 

Good luck. 

My RAR is 1:8 twist. I've tested some 77s before on it and they seem pretty stable.