Maksim

Smith & Wesson Shield 9mm $199, Shield EZ 380 $249

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

PSA is driving Brick and Morters out of business. Normal dealer price on these are over the consumer's end cost through them.

Well, It would also be the distributors who are willing to pass on the prices to PSA... 

PSA is big... but they are not huge by any means, they just know how to market well.

Smith & Wesson does have the package deals but let's be honest... if they are willing to buy 1,000 or more guns... shouldn't they get a better price than a dealer who can barely buy one or two?

Best thing for the brick and mortars are to concentrate on what PSA can't do... local transfers, unique offerings for their clients.

Then they just need to wait until the gun fears spike up again.

That's OK, those "truckloads" are phenomenal guns.  A Shield with an Apex kit is a beautiful thing.  Factor that in to the price, though, and compare to a 2.0 that largely doesn't need one.  I would love a Shield 2.0 Performance Center with a 4" barrel.  And some prefer the less grippy older Shields.  

• Like 2

On 10/14/2019 at 10:16 PM, PK90 said:

PSA is driving Brick and Morters out of business. Normal dealer price on these are over the consumer's end cost through them.

I agree and typically only buy guns from independent brick and mortar shops. There is something about establishing a good relationship with a local shop that can't be had from the online or big box retailers.

A recent example is a local shop that I frequent got in a huge amount of stuff from an estate. I was able to get 5 Dillon powder measures along with tool heads and an RCBS automatic primer and some high end case trimming equipment for $10.  The guys knew that they could get a hell of a lot more but they remember me buying a pair of Colt LE6920 m4s and a S&W 329 within the past few mos.  This is in addition to a lot of reloading supplies.

$200 for one of these is pretty tempting ... I know I'm tempted ... but lets do the math.

Cabela's, arguably a 'brick and mortar' shop (though a big one), has it on sale for $289.97 before the $50 rebate. 

For now, lets forget the $50 rebate and the state sales tax (which Palmetto is required to charge you, anyway) to keep this an apples-to-apples discussion.

Palmetto has the M&P Shield for $249.99, but charges you to ship it to your local FFL ... that's $17 shipping, bringing the cost to $266.99.  Add-on the $25 FFL transfer fee (which is on the low end) makes it $291.99 .... or $2 MORE than Cabela's!

But we're not done yet.

Cabela's may be a brick-and-mortar store, but they're still a big-box store.  They buy by the truckload from S&W, and do get a better deal than your local FFL/gunseller, who's probably charging $20-$30 more than Cabela's. 

Now, I like Cabela's; though I liked 'em more before Bass Pro Shop bought 'em.  They're a fascinating place to visit; but they're also a 2-hour trip from me -- each way.  Probably the same for you.  Gasoline is $2.50 to $2.75 a gallon, and who knows what the tolls are between you and Cabela's.  See that $20 - $30 price difference getting smaller and smaller?

1 hour ago, W2MC said:

$200 for one of these is pretty tempting ... I know I'm tempted ... but lets do the math.

Cabela's, arguably a 'brick and mortar' shop (though a big one), has it on sale for $289.97 before the $50 rebate. 

For now, lets forget the $50 rebate and the state sales tax (which Palmetto is required to charge you, anyway) to keep this an apples-to-apples discussion.

Palmetto has the M&P Shield for $249.99, but charges you to ship it to your local FFL ... that's $17 shipping, bringing the cost to $266.99.  Add-on the $25 FFL transfer fee (which is on the low end) makes it $291.99 .... or $2 MORE than Cabela's!

But we're not done yet.

Cabela's may be a brick-and-mortar store, but they're still a big-box store.  They buy by the truckload from S&W, and do get a better deal than your local FFL/gunseller, who's probably charging $20-$30 more than Cabela's. 

Now, I like Cabela's; though I liked 'em more before Bass Pro Shop bought 'em.  They're a fascinating place to visit; but they're also a 2-hour trip from me -- each way.  Probably the same for you.  Gasoline is $2.50 to $2.75 a gallon, and who knows what the tolls are between you and Cabela's.  See that $20 - $30 price difference getting smaller and smaller?

You can’t purchase a handgun out of state 

I forget...I now live in Pennsylvania

Point still applies, Zeke, - cross-out Cabela's in the above and write-in Bass Pro Shop in Atlantic City ... same gun, same price

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/smith-wesson-m-p-shield-semi-auto-pistol