david8613

Prices on used guns, why so high???

What is going on in the used market? Is the demand for used guns high these days? I remember I used to make some pretty good pick ups back in the day on the used market. This year is the first time that all my purchases where brand new versus used because i felt the asking prices on used guns where high not far from new prices. I did catch some nice new sales though. I usually look here, northeastshooters, armslist for example. 

It is called supply and demand.  Additionally, any firearms sold in NJ have a premium attached to them with lots of built-in taxes and bullshit.  

I see a lot of high ASKING prices but those for-sale ads tend to stick around unsold.

Maybe there are too many panic-buy guns out there that people are embarrassed to take a loss on 

But yes as @Underdog said, our comrades in Trenton have thrown a wrench in the normal free market price controls 

Agreed, some are definitely overpriced but I've encountered some buyers who assume that the seller is desperate to sell and try to give lowball offers. I've had buyers give me the sob story, make a lowball offer, and then get upset because I didn't fall for it. I've sold plenty of items that were never used or barely used and had to take some sort of loss so I get it.  If it's their sale, they can list whatever price they want which they're entitled to. I've found plenty of good deals here on our forum.  Fortunately for us, we have tons of options and opportunities to find a deal we think is fair.  

5 hours ago, Dave Archibald said:

The gun shop on broad and market, You know the Eldorado trunk? Their prices haven't changed.  Just no serial #. Those are the ones Trenton doesnt tax!

If you're buy out of the  El Dorado trunk, you're paying too much.

Shop at Juan, Jose and DeShawn's. They're in the 66 Impala tonight and the 70 Imperial tomorrow night. Right in front of the State House.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dave Archibald said:

The gun shop on broad and market, You know the Eldorado trunk? Their prices haven't changed.  Just no serial #. Those are the ones Trenton doesn't tax!

I believe I may have heard about a Tanfoglio 380 selling for at least $700 from one of those trunks a few years back.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Shocker said:

I see a lot of high ASKING prices but those for-sale ads tend to stick around unsold.

Maybe there are too many panic-buy guns out there that people are embarrassed to take a loss on 

But yes as @Underdog said, our comrades in Trenton have thrown a wrench in the normal free market price controls 

NJ sellers are ridiculous in their asking prices.  I've seen very very few that were realistic.

• Agree 1

Where you seeing high prices for used guns?  Most things I have seen go by on the classifieds here are reasonable. The ratio of reasonable to WTF doesn't seem any different than in the past. 

Retail used prices, can't say I've looked much. If they are up, the answer is likely two things. 

1) an election is coming. Which means you might be able to get that margin in the next year. And if you haven't folded yet, you can probably afford to have patience. 

2) Lots of places got kicked in the nuts by the slowdown in sales with Trump's election. I've seen some places that have shifted from selling used to having their used stock be consignment only. Unless the store actively discourages stupid pricing, that usually winds up in stupid pricing because the owner is like $XXX is fair and picks a used retail price, and then the stores cut gets stacked on top. The net result is stupid. The only thing new is more places are doing consignment only rather than buying people's used guns cheap. 

I don't think tax has anything to do with it.  It's simply unrealistic guys trying to recoup what they spent on a used commoditization item.  I find the NJ boards wholly unrealistic relative and with a proclivity towards lower quality than  compared to other parts of the country. 

Just look at the ads up there now.  There is only 2 ads that are reasonable imho and 1 is untouched by the masses