Zeke

The firewood discussion

2 hours ago, rifleman said:

Splitting wood by hand on the hottest day of the year is my favorite. Maul + 2 wedges + sledge. Spring for the composite handles. Use a peavy for moving the big boys. You get a lot of wood out of a 24" round but the are heavy to lift into the truck. Stack them up like stairs to tip them up into the bed. My wood lives in a shingled roof open side shed and is very happy. The shed is named Woodhaven. Yes I am wood loco. You have to cover it a little.

No ax?  I use a sledge and wedge when dealing with knots.  I use an ax nearly all of the time.

8 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Lol, I'm not using one till I am forced to physically. 

I did it due to how knotty and twisted the wood I had at the time was.....and time. when I first got it, I kinda lost control of myself, and split almost 5 cords over the period of a couple weekends. weekends to me are sunday afternoons. it's still great exercise. 

3 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Smarter, better, faster , stronger...

And can keep yourself hydrated in a safe manner. I can't touch a maul since I saw my neighbor years ago bounce one into his shin. Emphasis on into. That's all I see if I pick one up. Besides another neighbor has a hydro one that was as good as mine. I've actually just sold off the few cords I had left. 

• Crazy 1