Zeke

The firewood discussion

3 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

I have no idea how people heat their large houses with oil up here in Sussex. Either their houses are cold, or they are paying an enormous amount on money.

Well, if your neighbors are snowbirds, you just run a couple extension cords over from their place to plug in your space heaters. I have found this can be very economical. 

• Haha 1
  • Disagree 1

On 10/21/2019 at 7:05 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Everyone needs to switch to Sanka...

For those under 40 and don't know.

Sanka is a brand of instant decaffeinated coffee, sold around the world, and was one of the earliest decaffeinated varieties. Sanka is distributed in the United States by Kraft Foods.
Wikipedia › wiki › Sanka

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bklynracer said:

For those under 40 and don't know.

Sanka is a brand of instant decaffeinated coffee, sold around the world, and was one of the earliest decaffeinated varieties. Sanka is distributed in the United States by Kraft Foods.
Wikipedia › wiki › Sanka

Instant coffee, right up there in quality with instant mashed potatoes and powdered eggs.

• Disagree 1

Well since were kinda on the topic of firewood. I'm in the market for a splitting tool. Should I get a spitting axe or a maul? @ChrisS I usually dont have large rounds 24" and under and I'll be splitting about 5 cords or less a year 

And no I dont want a hydraulic splitter 

32 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Well since were kinda on the topic of firewood. I'm in the market for a splitting tool. Should I get a spitting axe or a maul? @ChrisS I usually dont have large rounds 24" and under and I'll be splitting about 5 cords or less a year 

And no I dont want a hydraulic splitter 

Embrace technology 

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Embrace technology 

Hydraulic splitters are to slow and cost allot more and require allot more maintenance than a maul. I'm not afraid of a little hard work. I've always used a maul but recently I was talking with someone who recommended a splitting axe instead because they are a bit lighter but still get the job done 

12 minutes ago, tony357 said:

That's a really nice mouse Hut..

Hence the cat

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Hydraulic splitters are to slow and cost allot more and require allot more maintenance than a maul. I'm not afraid of a little hard work. I've always used a maul but recently I was talking with someone who recommended a splitting axe instead because they are a bit lighter but still get the job done 

Hence the cat

You will age... it only takes time 

39 minutes ago, Zeke said:

You will age... it only takes time 

By then whoever my daughter is dating can do it for me or she cant date him. 

3 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

You guys KEEP talking about your wood...and now, you’re talking about your tools...

You guys coming out of the closet?

No sorry to get your hopes up. I know your a big fan of being in tight quarters with lots of seamen

• Haha 1

On 10/19/2019 at 9:04 PM, gleninjersey said:

Why would anyone buy sick firewood that had to be cured for an entire year before it is healthy to be healed from the violent and unnecessary act of splitting it?

This is why you don't split wood.  It won't get sick and infected from splitting it.

it's not cured. it's seasoned. I season my wood usually 2 to 6 months. I've got about a cord left over from last year, which I think is gonna go up like balsa wood. 

I used to save the bark to use for kindling. it sucks. I don't like the way it burns, and it's a pain in the dick to get the bark to light. I gather twigs outta the yard for kindling now, those things go up if you just look at em with a match in your hand. I use dryer lint to get everything started in the stove. that shit's borderline scary. 

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

it's not cured. it's seasoned. I season my wood usually 2 to 6 months. I've got about a cord left over from last year, which I think is gonna go up like balsa wood. 

I used to save the bark to use for kindling. it sucks. I don't like the way it burns, and it's a pain in the dick to get the bark to light. I gather twigs outta the yard for kindling now, those things go up if you just look at em with a match in your hand. I use dryer lint to get everything started in the stove. that shit's borderline scary. 

Gotta get your self a good supply of birch bark. One piece is all I need to start a fire in my wood stove 

4 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Hey, it’s not gay if it’s underway. 

Funny I think @Ray Ray says the same thing 

• Haha 1

Just now, fishnut said:

Gotta get your self a good supply of birch bark. One piece is all I need to start a fire in my wood stove 

most of the wood I have is oak. I've got a little maple, and somewhere mixed in is some cedar and a bit of cherry. which reminds me...a customer's got a bunch of cherry saved for me. I gotta get over to his place and grab it