Jump to content
Big Mack

Applying for additional P2Ps ?

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone, Im definitely not new to firearms, but i have been out of the game for some years now (marriage, house, kids, new jobs, and all that happy horse s*it).

i want to apply for some P2Ps and i see that the system has changed a bit. Do i need to do that whole online "criminal history backround check"? or can i just fill out the STS033 and the mental health consent form and bring that to my local PD? I stopped into my local PD today to ask for the ORI number and was informed that i only need to do that if im getting finger printed and to just fill out the forms, and bing them in with the check. Neither myself or the officer were sure though. So what is the exact procedure now? (i already have an FID) I just dont want to do the wrong thing wait and wait to find out i did it wrong.

Thanks in advanced

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was unaware that any PD's were still accepting hardcopy applications. The FARS system helps to level the playing field somewhat, but you are still dependent on the local PD for the actual permits, but the process has better transparency.

You will need the ORI number and then go to this site...

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS

...and follow the instructions. You will need a credit card and I think it is now $21 (that's still $18 for the Mental Health check, but there is a $3 "convenience" fee added).

You will be notified when each of your references responds and again when the criminal background check is completed. Your local PD will notify you when you can pick-up your permits.

One other thing that has changed is that your references can be family members or relatives.

Welcome back to the fold.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Big Mack said:

Ok great. thats what i figured. thanks for the response guys. Ill have to go back tomorrow and try and get the ORI number.

Give me your town of residence and the county and I may be able to save you the trouble.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Pizza Bob said:

That should be NJ0135000

Those are all zeros

And right you are! If it's not a Secret of State, where'd you find that?

I searched around and couldn't, and when you plug 'NJ' into the ORI  box on the first page of the website application it pulls up a list of numbers starting with NJ. Selecting one of those then shows you the corresponding entity. However I can now see the list it pulls up is limited to about 10 numbers and is obviously not a complete list of every ORI number starting with 'NJ'.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I last applied for a permit (before the online system), I filled in the ORI myself--don't remember if I found it on the web, or on a previous application.

The detective acted like I'd stolen nuclear launch codes; he made a big deal about how I was NOT supposed to have that number until my required in-person appointment at which time it would be revealed to me.   <_<

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

And right you are! If it's not a Secret of State, where'd you find that?

I find it somewhat ironic (but probably to be expected) that NJ makes the FPID and P2P process easier with the FARS system, and then removes the ORI listing from the Internet. If you search for ORI you'll get a page to come up that says "Error Code 404".

OK, here's the trick - the ORI code is simply the municipal code inserted into this format: NJ0XXXX00

Municipal codes can be found here, listed by county...

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/pdf/lpt/cntycode.pdf

Adios,

Pizza Bob

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Odd, that list used to be easily available.  What possible benefit can there be to hiding it, other than to slow the process down.  Plus, it never changes, so once you have it it's the same every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Paltik said:

You don’t need mental health if you live in the State within 10 years. (In our town atleast) It took me 9 days from start to finish including weekends.

The mental health check is statutorily required. Now that the FARS system is in place it is relatively painless. That "List all addresses if you have lived at the current one for less than ten years" was because and individual, manual search had to be done in each different county where you lived. This was generally the hold-up on manually processed application. Not sure what the FARS system is doing and I've lived at the same address for 18 years, so can't speak from personal experience.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everything is done online.. by submitting through that online system with your submission you are granting the state permission to run a mental health check as part of the process. After the online submission, your emailed references do their part and then the process is run for background check and mental health check etc ... Subtract all the BS and time wasted behind the scenes after that, the only thing you should need to do is wait for the local PD to call and tell you your permits are ready to be picked up, at which point you then go to the PD and pay the $2 per permit and then go shopping.

At least that is the way its supposed to roll anyway. Though the system is not without bugs and delays apparently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2019 at 6:22 PM, Pizza Bob said:

I was unaware that any PD's were still accepting hardcopy applications. The FARS system helps to level the playing field somewhat, but you are still dependent on the local PD for the actual permits, but the process has better transparency.

You will need the ORI number and then go to this site...

https://www.njportal.com/NJSP/FARS

...and follow the instructions. You will need a credit card and I think it is now $21 (that's still $18 for the Mental Health check, but there is a $3 "convenience" fee added).

You will be notified when each of your references responds and again when the criminal background check is completed. Your local PD will notify you when you can pick-up your permits.

One other thing that has changed is that your references can be family members or relatives.

Welcome back to the fold.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thanks for this. I have a question, since I already have my FID and have made a purchase.

I requested 2 more P2P, NJSP have already approved me, and sent to local PD. It's been over a month now, and my local has made me come in to pay for the permits, and told me that they now need to do their background investigation. This doesn't sound right, but what do I know. Just seems like a long time, even after NJSP have told me that I'm approved and that I should be given the permits.

Curious what you think.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i just responded to your other post ... not sure exactly how long its been for you ... but different municipality take longer than others. The longest ive waited has been 92 days and the shortest has been 45 days.   I know some people that get theirs in usually 2 weeks... but thats in south jersey is a more rural town and county.  It almost seems that the more populated your county is the longer it takes.  No science behind that but the point is that the results are all over the place depending on the municipality your in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Zeus2112 said:

Thanks for this. I have a question, since I already have my FID and have made a purchase.

I requested 2 more P2P, NJSP have already approved me, and sent to local PD. It's been over a month now, and my local has made me come in to pay for the permits, and told me that they now need to do their background investigation. This doesn't sound right, but what do I know. Just seems like a long time, even after NJSP have told me that I'm approved and that I should be given the permits.

Curious what you think.

Thanks!

Doesn't matter what I think, this requirement is in direct contravention of 2C:58-3,f which states, in part: There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

As I understand it the whole reason for going to the FARS system was to eliminate the disparity among the various local jurisdictions, in processing time. I am not sure that the local PD is still tasked to perform a background check separate from the one that is part of the FARS application process, so it seems to me that the above constraint applies.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Doesn't matter what I think, this requirement is in direct contravention of 2C:58-3,f which states, in part: There shall be no conditions or requirements added to the form or content of the application, or required by the licensing authority for the issuance of a permit or identification card, other than those that are specifically set forth in this chapter.

As I understand it the whole reason for going to the FARS system was to eliminate the disparity among the various local jurisdictions, in processing time. I am not sure that the local PD is still tasked to perform a background check separate from the one that is part of the FARS application process, so it seems to me that the above constraint applies.

Good luck.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Thank you, and that's exactly what I thought. I spoke to the NJSP about this as well, and they told me there was NO reason that the local PD should be doing any further investigating. I dont want to start trouble with them, but i may drop an email to the ANJRPC to see what they think. Will update on this

thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...