Noobwithquestions

Need help choosing optic/sight

I just built my first AR15 and have no idea what to put on top of it lol.
I’m not looking to spend a ton so I think I might be between the Vortex Spitfire 3x prism scope($350) or getting a bundle deal of the Vortex Strikefire 2 with Vortex VMX-3T magnifier with flip mount($378)

Anyone use either or have any input between the 2 options? Is there something else I should be considering?

I'll add to HE's questions.

How is your distance vision? 

Do you have astigmatism? 

If it isn't a heavy barreled tack driver of an AR, and you don't have an astigmatism, and you aren't going to get regular access to ranges past 200 yards, you can just put a reasonable quality red dot on it and be able to get a lot of stuff done. 

6 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Tell us a little more about the rifle.

Is this your only rifle?

What do you want this rifle to do?

Range toy? Competition rifle? Home defense?

yes this is my first and only rifle

i guess for now it will be a range toy and as I get better possible start competitions. possibly joining Cherry Ridge so will have access to up to 300 yards.

I also posted this on reddit and a lot of people are recommending I get the 1-6x Strike Eagle. What's your input?

I have a 1-6 Strike Eagle. It’s OK. A little much for a brand new shooter.

For a self described “noob”, I would recommend a standard red dot sight (RDS).

With your price range around $400 I would suggest either an Aimpoint PRO or a Trijicon MRO - whichever one gives you a cleaner dot. They are the current standard for affordable red dot sights.

If you want to spend less, but still have a quality optic, I recommend one of the Holosun optics that look like an Aimpoint T1 or T2 such as the HS503R.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

I have a 1-6 Strike Eagle. It’s OK. A little much for a brand new shooter.

For a self described “noob”, I would recommend a standard red dot sight (RDS).

With your price range around $400 I would suggest either an Aimpoint PRO or a Trijicon MRO - whichever one gives you a cleaner dot. They are the current standard for affordable red dot sights.

If you want to spend less, but still have a quality optic, I recommend one of the Holosun optics that look like an Aimpoint T1 or T2 such as the HS503R.

PSA actually has a deal on the 1-6 Strike Eagle with the mount for only $230. Kind of seems like a no brainer lol

1 minute ago, Noobwithquestions said:

you don't recommend the SPORT CANTILEVER 30 MM MOUNT?. it has a 2in offset

I dunno you face.

ill I’m sayen is make sure you can use back up irons. Offset, 45 or a quick detach mount.

And @High Exposure is my go to for knowledge and wisdom. I’m switching from aimpoint to a 1x6 in da near future.

3 hours ago, Noobwithquestions said:

PSA actually has a deal on the 1-6 Strike Eagle with the mount for only $230. Kind of seems like a no brainer lol

I’m afraid you misunderstand what I mean when I said the Strike Eagle was “A little much for a brand new shooter”.

I was not referring to price being a bit much. I was referring to the actual optic being a bit much - with its parallax, eye relief/eyebox requirements, the busy reticle, and the magnification.

As a new shooter, you will be much better served shooting with a plain RDS. It will let you concentrate on the fundamentals - sights and trigger - without getting distracted by unnecessary bells and whistles that won’t help you.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

While I agree with HE, and several others here, I’d back up a step. 

Practice your fundamentals with iron sights first. Then move to a red dot or an optic. 

Tex, I’m not discounting iron sights. I just believe that shooting with irons is a more complex skill than shooting with a RDS. 

Back in the day, when all you had was irons or a magnified “scope”. Irons made sense. Now, with the abundance of quality RDS that are affordable and reliable, it doesn’t make sense to waste ammo learning irons first. Increase the learning  curve with a RDS, then move to irons. 

Less time = less ammo = less money 

In my experience with new shooters, it’s easier to teach Red Dots first to learn the fundamentals, then teach irons once body mechanics, trigger press, recoil control, trigger press, and the practical aspects of the theory of ballistics is wired pretty tight.

Less frustration, because with the red dot, you can isolate problems and work on them to the exclusion of others things - dot on target, press rigger straight to rear without disturbing sights. Call your shot. Observe your hit. Make corrections.

With irons, there are too many things at play. You try and fix one thing, and 5 more issues pop up.

Good advice from High Exposure, as always.  I wanted to add that if your new AR is just going to be a range toy, and perhaps a home defense option, if you are going with a red dot sight, you could probably get by with something by Primary Arms, Vortex, or Sig's Romeo 5.  I have an Aimpoint PRO on my AR, and it works fine, but I have some of the less expensive options on my other guns, including AK's and 9 mm carbines.  They have held up well through many range sessions, and even some fairly intense training classes. While I might be reluctant to trust my life to them in a multi-day grid down scenario, they are fine for most everyday situations at a much lower cost.