John Clogger

Guns left behind in NJ - how to get them back

If a NJ gun owner moves out of state but is unable to bring his full gun collection with him when he moves (leaving behind some guns at a parents’ house or something), how can he legally go about bringing the rest back if a few years had passed since the move? Can he just load them up in the trunk of his car the next time he visits and drive them home? Would he still be covered under NJ’s exemption for transporting while moving? Would it make a difference if he still has his old NJ FID?

They are your property. pack them up and transport according to federal rules and take them to your new digs unless they happen to be illegal there.  If you get stopped in NJ, you are transferring them from one residence to your primary residence in another state. If you get stopped in another state and are asked, you are transiting the state and going home. If you get stopped in your home state, you are going home. 

Don't say you left them with your parents. That's a transfer. You left them at a secondary residence. 

And honestly don't volunteer anything that isn't asked of you. 

Done. Don't over-complicate it.

4 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

They are your property. pack them up and transport according to federal rules and take them to your new digs unless they happen to be illegal there.  If you get stopped in NJ, you are transferring them from one residence to your primary residence in another state. If you get stopped in another state and are asked, you are transiting the state and going home. If you get stopped in your home state, you are going home. 

Don't say you left them with your parents. That's a transfer. You left them at a secondary residence. 

And honestly don't volunteer anything that isn't asked of you. 

Done. Don't over-complicate it.

Good advice.  I don't think NJ's exemption for transporting while moving is relevant; if you're moving out of state, FOPA is what protects you.

@John Clogger I see you're a new poster here... why don't you introduce yourself? It would be nice if you told us a little about yourself like... how you got into shooting, what shooting sports you prefer, what state did you move to, etc. 

44 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Everyone chill-axe... may or may not be legit... but Maks will be checking into it. :)

I’m a real person,  not trying to troll anyone. My original post was a legit question I had and I wasn’t sure who to ask, which is what led me here.

1 hour ago, matty said:

Yeesh the username is an obvious troll giveway

Sorry, I just like to be funny sometimes.

Thank you raz-0 and 10X for your replies. I appreciate the help.

If I bothered or offended anybody, my apologies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, matty said:

Yeesh the username is an obvious troll giveway

For crying out loud, would you guys let up on the noobs already.  Take your lithium pills, check your tin foil hats  and chill out for corn sake, every new member is not a minion of Murphy.  You are creating a bad atmosphere for new members.

It does not matter what the questions asked here are.  As long as they are answered without giving bad (illegal) advise, there is no problem.  We, the experienced and knowledgeable, should be helping in a positive manner.  Calling out almost every new member as a troll is just plain stupid and not helpful to the 2A community image.

• Like 3
  • Agree 6

8 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

You are creating a bad atmosphere for new members.

It does not matter what the questions asked here are.  As long as they are answered without giving bad (illegal) advise, there is no problem.  We, the experienced and knowledgeable, should be helping in a positive manner.  Calling out almost every new member as a troll is just plain stupid and not helpful to the 2A community image.

^ this.  Well said.

• Agree 2