raz-0

Finally, the paranoia about serial numbers in photos i justified.

Well, the government doesn’t have serial numbers for a LOT of guns that are legally owned.  Even in NJ. 

Plus, I trust Facebook and Google even less with my data than I trust the government.   And that’s saying something, because I don’t really trust the government. 

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, 10X said:

Well, the government doesn’t have serial numbers for a LOT of guns that are legally owned.  Even in NJ. 

Plus, I trust Facebook and Google even less with my data than I trust the government.   And that’s saying something, because I don’t really trust the government. 

I appreciate that.

Honestly I don't post pictures that have serial numbers for guns, musical instruments, electronics, or anything else.  I actually never post pictures of guns online.

I have always removed the serial number via photoshop if I publicly post a photo, but I also really only post to my own website and link from there. This makes me think I should add a step of adding random strings of text and numbers (maybe hax0r speak style) to any images I do post anywhere in the future.

I always wondered why people would harrass posters for removing the serial number from their picture, as if it were crazy to do so. (Admittedly, the MS paint scribble variety is atrocious looking when used on an otherwise nice photo)

Someone commented about this somewhere else about putting text strings which would break databases as the serial numbers. I don't know how well it would work, but I love their thought process...

16 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

How many guns are going to be cataloged? A couple thousand maybe? How many guns are in America? 100,000,000+?

The other issue, besides the visible serial number being seen, is the metadata in the photo itself that can give location, and other personal information on the photo. This metadata can be more revealing than the serial number of the gun, which is all databased.

Ask the boiled rib guy about those details, he knows it all.

1 hour ago, Redlines said:

Next they will make it a crime to remove a sn in a picture.

Doubt it. That would essentially make it compelled speech which is a strict scrutiny no-no due to the first amendment.