Zeke

Cz 1012

A quick ‘performance review’ on the CZ-712 Utility..

Ive has this little shotgun at a couple of clay shoots now. Between various other members and myself, I have 500+ rounds down range with it. 
I’m getting used to shooting it, for me, it requires a little different cheek wield than my Citori. I do like it. It points well...different than my o/u, but it’s nice. Follow up shots are fast. 

Near the end of day yesterday I stated to get malfunctions. I thought it was short stroking, after a little investigation I found the bolt wasn’t fully going into battery. I took it apart, and found the gas system was dirty as hell, and the piston wasn’t returning fully into the gas block. This caused the ‘short stroke’, because it wouldn’t allow the bolt to fully close...and thus..the hammer wouldn’t drop (good thing). it probably had close to 300 rounds fired through it yesterday. Most all of them cheap skeet/target loads. I had not cleaned the piston prior to yesterday’s outing.

After a quick clean of the piston, it functioned perfectly. 
I really cleaned the crap out of it last night, ran a pipe cleaner through the gas ports, got all the accumulated crud off the piston, and oiled it up. Manually cycling, it’s smooth as silk. Until I get to take it out to play again for further testing, I’m going to attribute the malfunctions to be due to break in, and being dirty as hell. 

Overall, fun little shotgun for the money. 
Lesson learned about gas operated shotguns, they aren’t like an AR....keep it clean! 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Displaced Texan said:

A quick ‘performance review’ on the CZ-712 Utility..

Ive has this little shotgun at a couple of clay shoots now. Between various other members and myself, I have 500+ rounds down range with it. 
I’m getting used to shooting it, for me, it requires a little different cheek wield than my Citori. I do like it. It points well...different than my o/u, but it’s nice. Follow up shots are fast. 

Near the end of day yesterday I stated to get malfunctions. I thought it was short stroking, after a little investigation I found the bolt wasn’t fully going into battery. I took it apart, and found the gas system was dirty as hell, and the piston wasn’t returning fully into the gas block. This caused the ‘short stroke’, because it wouldn’t allow the bolt to fully close...and thus..the hammer wouldn’t drop (good thing). it probably had close to 300 rounds fired through it yesterday. Most all of them cheap skeet/target loads. I had not cleaned the piston prior to yesterday’s outing.

After a quick clean of the piston, it functioned perfectly. 
I really cleaned the crap out of it last night, ran a pipe cleaner through the gas ports, got all the accumulated crud off the piston, and oiled it up. Manually cycling, it’s smooth as silk. Until I get to take it out to play again for further testing, I’m going to attribute the malfunctions to be due to break in, and being dirty as hell. 

Overall, fun little shotgun for the money. 
Lesson learned about gas operated shotguns, they aren’t like an AR....keep it clean

Thanks for letting me shoot it Tex,

I liked it, soft shooting i thought, ergonomic too with that funky little palm swell, my finger was perfect distance from the trigger. 
But reading above - maybe it was shooting soft 'cause it was dirty?   Cheek wield was a tad low but probably because i'm bulky.  Fairly lightweight, would like to try it with a 28" barrel to compare (also when i'm not hungover).  It was nice enough for me to want one.  

It was indeed fun to shoot although IT did miss a lot of clays.     

10 hours ago, Bighungry618 said:

Thanks for letting me shoot it Tex,

I liked it, soft shooting i thought, ergonomic too with that funky little palm swell, my finger was perfect distance from the trigger. 
But reading above - maybe it was shooting soft 'cause it was dirty?   Cheek wield was a tad low but probably because i'm bulky.  Fairly lightweight, would like to try it with a 28" barrel to compare (also when i'm not hungover).  It was nice enough for me to want one.  

It was indeed fun to shoot although IT did miss a lot of clays.     

Any time. 

It’s not really designed to be a clays gun...more of a ‘trunk gun’, with the short, 20” barrel. 
I figured that clays would be a good way to wring it out, and see what would make it fail. 

It is pretty soft shooting, and when it’s clean, so far it’s reliable. 

13 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Most all of them cheap skeet/target loads.

Federal C&F is not exactly cheap stuff.  It's identical in every way to Top Gun except the shot has less antimony.  I think the issue relates more to the powder puffyness of trap loads compared to a high brass load the gun was designed for.  Not enough pressure to blow the boogers out of the gas system of a gun not designed for clays.  I bet you, there'd be little chance of replicating the failure using high brass buck shot.

After living with the CZ712 Utility for awhile now. I’ve found out what I liked, and, more importantly, what I DIDN’T like about this shotgun. Mostly, I love this little gun out of the box, but there are a couple of minor things I thought could stand improvement. 

I didn’t like the bolt handle. It’s small, and had some sharp-ish edges that bit into my hand when I tried to rack the bolt quickly. 
I also thought the bolt release was a little far back for my hand. Especially since I only have 9 fingers.:D

There isn’t much available in aftermarket support for CZ shotguns ( a drawback), but fortunately, CZ offers a few upgrade parts. They had an extended bolt handle and a extended slide release for a reasonable cost, so I bought both. CZ ships FAST too! 

The installation of these parts was easy and straightforward. The only hangup I had was that I didn’t push the pin holding the bolt release all the way back in. This prevented me from installing the bolt. Took me all of 2 mins to figure out the problem. Once I sorted that out, everything went together simply. All told, it took about 10 minutes to add both these upgrades. 

I’ll be adding a +3 mag extension to this, once I move to Texas…

Basic function test works perfectly! Cant wait to get to the range with it for some real world fun! 

**The damn pics didn’t post in order, but you get the idea. 

6A237BA6-AFE2-477A-BE7D-9FA4C60711AE.jpeg

DD104ECB-66DF-4BA7-A38F-4CEB689088D7.jpeg

531F1AD4-1FB5-42D7-810B-C01BEEAFA0B2.jpeg

5A6245E2-5115-40E8-91C6-CB2778F0735E.jpeg